Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,750   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 247
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are You Carrying? New Year Edition (01/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are You Carrying? New Year Edition (01/23)

Happy New Year!

Today is our first day back in the office for 2023 and spirits are high! Over the weekend we had a factory clean-out and it was a great way to reset and start the year on the right foot.

Now it's time to celebrate the new month (and new year!) with our favorite game: What Are You Carrying?

You know the questions:

1. What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?⁠
    2. What are you reading?⁠
    3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)?⁠
    4. What are you listening to?⁠
    5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking?⁠
    6. What are you making/creating/doing?⁠
    7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?⁠

And this round's bonus question:

How are you showing up for yourself this year?

1. What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?⁠
    The Synik 22 is still my favourite bag ever but I carry my lunch with me sometimes and I can't put my lunchbox flat inside so my current bag is the Black 525 Ballistic/Tidal 200 Halcyon Smart Alec. Here it is sitting inside the first Apple store in the world entirely surrounded by water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9657.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	480.7 KB
ID:	344928

Just finished Getting Things Done by David Allen

Dance tutorials on YouTube because I'm getting back into dance after being away for a few years.

Red Bull BC One 2021 Mixtape by DJ Fleg

Guzzling the last of whatever peppermint mocha is available at my local coffee shops.

I scrapped my entire personal productivity system in late November and started building a new one from the ground up using a combination of the Getting Things Done and Agile methodologies. Even though it took up a fair chunk of my time and effort through the holidays and start of the new year, it's worth it because I finally can feel it sticking.

7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?⁠
    Japan is definitely still on the horizon for me. Adding some European countries to the travel list this year: Hungary and Slovenia to start with, maybe a couple more.

Not talking to myself in a way that I wouldn't talk to my best friend. It's something I started doing a while ago and the process continues this year.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by latchford; 01-06-2023, 08:44 PM. Reason: Reuploaded photo of Smart Alec
    Night Walk Synik 22, Night Walk Daylight Backpack, Night Walk Small Café Bag, everything Acuity and Fjord

Comment

A Night Walk Halcyon Co-Pilot. My very first bag from Tom Bihn was a Black Halcyon Side Kick, intended as a theme park bag for a Disney World trip...until it started coming along EVERY time I left home. After that, I was hooked on the bag and the brand. I hope they make more bags with a Halcyon exterior, because the material just feels so much lighter, and conforms so comfortably around my hip. It's also a really slick looking neutral color option, and pairs up super well with some coyote-colored zipper pulls.

I've done more writing than reading lately, and most of that writing has been planning my 2023 travel. I probably won't even go back and read these responses I'm writing, so if there're any typos, I'm sorry for that!

Lately I've eaten dinners off the coffee table while watching videos from YouTube creators "Adventure Archives" - they're a group of friends who take backpacking trips together, and it's fun to enjoy the hobby vicariously during the months it's too cold to go backpacking around home.

Steve Martin. A whole lot of Steve Martin. His banjo-based, bluegrass stuff. Sometimes I'll pop on a recorded live show because his patter is as good as his songwriting and banjo-playing, and he's just an all-around great live performer who's fun to watch.

Cobbling together some of my favorite loose-leaf teas to bring along on a couple winter cabin weekends over the next two months. My absolute favorite is a green chai blend from a local shop. Tea is something that takes time to make, and even more time to sit and enjoy, so it's generally reserved for cool and cold-weather trips where we spend most of our time inside.

Travel itineraries and gear check lists. Normally I do all my backpacking solo, but this is going to be the first year a friend comes along on a trip, so I'm taking a great deal of time and effort to make sure it's safe, comfortable, and - more than anything - fun for him and us both.

Later this month my wife and I are headed back to Frank Lloyd Wright's Seth Peterson Cottage in Wisconsin so we can enjoy a quiet weekend away while we celebrate my birthday. It's known best for being Wright's smallest home, and the only one that sits inside a state park.

Spending less money on little things now so I can spend more money on big things later - I've got a Techonaut 45 coming in the mail today, and it might be the last major bag purchase I make for a long while. My wife and I have shared an apartment for years, and we're at the point where we have more stuff than we have space, and it's time to find a home that fits us, our stuff, and our three cats (and maybe a couple guests, ideally!)​
      Last edited by Chicagoan; 01-05-2023, 03:06 PM.
      I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:
      Everyday Carry: SK
      Hiking Daypack: Cambiata

Car Travel: SK, T45, MT
      Plane
      ​Travel: CP, TS, SZTSB

Comment

As usual, my Burnt Orange Pilot.

I'm still reading Unmasking Autism (my partner and I are listening to the audiobook together so it's slower than it would usually be), I'm also just finishing up A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin because I've somehow not read the series and have been meaning to correct that.

Watched Glass Onion and really enjoyed it.
        Still playing Dwarf Fortress on-and-off.
        Started playing Valheim again, I missed the building aspects of the game and DF has put me on a trajectory towards playing more survival/building games again.
        Started playing Red Dead Redemption 2 again as well.

I've been working my way through some best of 2022 lists that Neumos and KEXP put out, so a lot of albums I hadn't heard of before.

I've been making a really simple and tasty french bread lately, it's my first time using a poolish and it really helps the flavor develop compared to not using one!

I made some pozole for my New Years Eve party and it was a big hit. I made a second batch to use up the rest of the giant thing of hominy I bought. Delicious.

Drinking mostly dark beers lately, nothing super interesting though.

I've been dipping my brush into watercolors. Not super great at it, but it's a fun activity nevertheless.

Still no destinations planned for the coming year.

Comment

I'm having fun trying out a variety of bags this month, particularly ones I don't use as often - like the Maker's Bag.

Rereading 'Rain: A Natural and Cultural History' by Cynthia Barnett, in honor of the winter seasonal storms we're getting on the west coast. I'm a sucker for good narrative natural history and science books...and ones that go down the rabbit hole on some specific topic (let me know if you have any favorites). It's just fascinating and delightful and always a good reminder that the world is way way more complicated and detailed that what I reflexively assume or what a soundbite implies.
          I've also just started 'An Immense World' by Ed Yong, an amazing science writer, which promises to be as fascinating and engrossing as his other work.

I rarely watch things anymore and don't own a TV, but over the holidays with my family we watched 'Knives Out' and 'Glass Onion' (both quite entertaining) and 'My Octopus Teacher' (amazing footage and Cephalopods are fascinating : more books like above, 'The Soul of an Octopus'; 'Other Minds'; etc.).

Following random links to the music of Jeff Beck.

My usual January effort to finish 'eating up' the pantry/groceries to ensure that I don't have stranded food sitting around forever...supplemented by fresh veg, which can make for some odd meals.

More knitting and jewelry making as time permits.

Had several weeks back in Massachusetts with family, and now enjoying being in my apartment without travel for a couple weeks before work trips start up again.
          Haven't planned a 2023 vacation yet, but am thinking about doing all or part of the 'Cascade Loop' up in WA or driving the coastal route of Oregon.
          “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
          “Sir?”
          “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
          “Sir?”
          “That’s practically zen.”
          -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

You know the questions:

Happy New Year! Best wishes everyone!

My EDC is a 2017 S19 (Black Halcyon, Island halcyon). I'm thinking about picking up the S22 in NightHawk Halcyon when it become available. I've really enjoyed the S19 (Black Halcyon), having used it daily, and having traveled with it through 10 countries in Europe. ...hoping to finally get to Scotland this summer to trace my grandparent's journeys.

*120 weekly student essays (in Spanish). *Papá Hemingway (H.E. Hotchkiss),

*Movies: a lot of film noire from the 40's and 50's, I love old movies. *series: Outlander, Knives Out, Murders in the Building.

depends on my mood. I've been listening to the Black Keys, Springsteen, The Pogues, and Dougie McClean on my commutes.

Spanish Rioja and Ribera del Duero., I like a nice single malt or two on the weekends.

woodworking and ancestry, when I'm not grading papers.

I'm hoping to visit one of my kids in Madrid this spring for a week. This summer, I'll be traveling around Scotland for 2 weeks.

I think I'm going to retire from teaching high school Spanish after 33 rewarding years. I'll find something else to do, but I'm tired of 60 hour weeks and dealing with misinformation..
            Last edited by 3rdCoastHighlander; 01-22-2023, 03:44 PM. Reason: error
            Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
            Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
            "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
            Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Comment

I am carrying my Paradigm filled with some ghost whale pouches, TB zippered wallet, and organizer pouches.
              I have a few things in rotation: I just finished Goodbye Things and am moving onto Hello, Habits by Fumio Sasaki. I’m also reading the new Marie Benedict book, The Mitford Affair.
              My
              daughter got Monopoly and Farkle for Christmas so that’s what we are playing at home.
              ​​​​​
              We like the Family Pop music channel on Apple Music playlists. When I am able to listen to adult podcasts, I enjoy Maintenance Phase.
              ​​​​​​​
              Pesto penne tossed with roasted broccoli….caramel cookies.
              ​​​​​​​
              I am writing a new article/ maybe start of a third academic book on peace building on contentious college campuses.
              I spent the holidays in Virginia but just got back from a getaway at Miraval Berkshires and it was totally luxurious and amazing to unplug and take care of myself. 10/10
              Travel on the horizon:
              Montreal (work)
              Univ of Penn (work)
              Nancy Drew Convention in Salem,MA (fun!)
              Dominican Republic (family vacation)

Indulging my interests and making time for them. Going to the Nancy Drew convention is one example of this. In the past I would have said “I will wait until when my kid is older,” but now is the time…who knows, maybe she’ll be interested in joining me for part of the convention.

Comment

At least for the time being, I seem to have transitioned from my Aubergine/Wasabi Aeronaut 30 (pre-COVID) to my Navy/Solar Tri-Star (immediately post-COVID for the first few trips getting back to normal) to my new minimalist packing strategy in a Pilot, at least for overnights away. The first try of that was in my Nordic/Solar first-run Pilot, but then there was the Night Walk run... so I'm now using my new Night Walk / NW Sky Pilot. I've actually downsized slightly in terms of what I'm packing, from the first run, because there were still things in there which I found I didn't use/need. When I checked into the hotel a couple of days ago, the receptionist asked if I needed any help with luggage - and was quite astonished ("That's the smallest bag I've ever seen anyone check in with here!") when I said "I just have this" and pointed to the Pilot...

Last thing I read was one of Gail Carriger's "The Custard Protocol" novels - pure escapist nonsense, extremely silly!

Random stuff on Netflix, casually following a digital terrestrial showing of Manifest which is broadcast a couple of episodes at a time on Thursday nights. Bizarrely, given that I work for a TV production and distribution company, I don't really watch much television - I find that an awful lot of what is shown these days is irritating tat (your mileage may vary!) and besides which I'm usually too busy with other stuff!

I put my car stereo on shuffle the other day and have been wading through the far recesses of that part of my music collection which I've got as far as ripping from CD and syncing onto my iPhone. (there are at least another 450 CDs to go... one day!) Mostly mid-80s pop (The Beloved, for instance, and some Associates; Dépêche Mode also feature), bits of classical (Boyce's 8 symphonies), a mixture of ancient (Wendy Carlos) and (relatively) modern (Jarre, Madis, Vangelis) electronica... although I must admit it can be a little jarring when one of the sections of the Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class CD is selected by the shuffle algorithm in between a couple of innocent instrumentals! [fx: rapid prodding at the skip to next track button on the steering wheel]

My other half just - literally out of the oven 20 minutes ago - made a batch of cheese and bacon frazzles (aka turnovers) - puff pastry wrapped around a rasher of bacon and some grated cheddar, with more grated cheddar sprinkled on top, baked in the oven until browned and melty and extremely bad for you. Last thing I cooked was a beef, cashew and pepper stirfry - a recipe which evolved out of a version of Kung Pao Chicken over many years; it involves beef - leftover rare roast beef from a roast dinner, usually - mushrooms, lots of ginger (finely sliced but used more as a vegetable than a flavouring), garlic, spring onions, sweet chilli sauce, soy, sesame oil, red peppers... and a variable quantity of tabasco depending on how spicy I'm feeling. The original chicken based version also included yellow bean sauce, but my preferred brand of that stopped selling it in the UK and - some years later - I still haven't found a substitute.

I'm trying to cut down on alcohol intake a bit at the moment - a "damp" January rather than a "dry" one - but have found Hayman's "Small Gin" makes a reasonable facsimile of a G&T. It's got alcohol in it, but is much more concentrated than "real" gin - a standard mix includes just 5ml of Small Gin, topped up with tonic, and contains just 0.2 UK units of alcohol. Under normal circumstances I enjoy a wide variety of gin variations - my partner tends to buy me bottles of interesting gin for Christmas and other such celebrations - and am also something of a connoisseur of single malt Scotch. Neither of which are very good for me, but life is, as they say, too short to drink only water. Of course there is also tea! Mainly Fortnum&Mason's Albion Blend, or their equally nice Royal Exchange Blend.

Work continues to soak up my creative juices, although there has been a bit of a blip over December and January to do with a period of time off - sick leave. Acute work-related stress... well off piste I'm afraid. I'm now back at work and phasing back into things, hopefully with a slightly better perspective than I had late last year...

London, London and possibly London. Got back yesterday evening from 2 days at the office, with a night in a rather nice hotel (The Bloomsbury, on Great Russell Street)⁠ in between. I haven't got anything other than work travel planned, currently - there are logistical reasons having to do with multiple furry critters which make "going away on holiday" somewhat difficult to organise.

After succumbing to work related stress at the end of November, I'm now seeing a counsellor. He's helping me work through a few things... I'm also seeing an acupuncturist roughly once a week, and she is helping by gently realigning me. Or sometimes not so gently: this afternoon one of the needles went in and caused quite a ZING! (probably because it was waaaay out of balance and the reaction was quite strong - I feel so much better afterward!)

In a wider sense I need to restart a number of aspects of my life which have been put on hold for a variable length of time - because of pressure of work, because of COVID, because of illness or sometimes just because. It's going to be difficult, I suspect, but the work/life balance indicator needs to be firmly wrenched back toward the centre of the gauge - and if necessary the needle might need to be nailed there. This may cause some episodes of tears before bedtime... mostly for other people!
                A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

PaulT00 those meals sound yummy!

Best wishes with yanking that work/life balance gauge back in order - your health is paramount, so please do take care!
                  “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                  “Sir?”
                  “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                  “Sir?”
                  “That’s practically zen.”
                  -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Working...
                  X