Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,748   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 247
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding o-rings to bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding o-rings to bags

I have been adding o-rings to some of my non-Tom Bihn bags. It's harder than it looks! Particularly as I'm not used to sewing. But I followed the tutorial by BWeaves and even a complete novice can follow that great step-by-step guide. I used the easiest o-rings to get, which don't seem as sturdy as the Tom Bihn ones, and matching twill (so it's all white), but hopefully they'll do the job. Perhaps with complementary colors they would have looked more professional, but this was a cost-effective solution, and for less than $20 I'm able to make enough to add them everywhere I'd like.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5900.jpg Views:	26 Size:	130.8 KB ID:	345244 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5899.jpg Views:	26 Size:	168.7 KB ID:	345245
    Last edited by bchaplin; 01-22-2023, 04:19 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Thanks for the reminder about the post, Beth! Where did you find the o-rings and twill? I saw that post several years ago and looked around then, but I couldn't find small o-rings anywhere. It was around the height of Covid panic buying, so that may have something to do with a scarcity of options.

Comment

I have found this type of twill and o ring in fabric stores, particularly the ones that specialize in home/upholstery fabrics. These would be around other curtain supplies. I have also found rubber orings at the hardware store, either in a mixed package of sizes or in those little drawers where they have loose, by the piece hardware.
      Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

There are rings sold as "lingerie / bra habedashery" ranging from 8mm to 14mm. At Joann store etc

Comment

I’ve used these from Amazon.

​ETA: https://a.co/d/cOYx43v
          Last edited by Wanderlust77; 01-23-2023, 03:10 PM.

Comment

The o-rings, oddly, were hard to find. In the US we have a large chain of fabric stores (Joann's), and the only o-rings the one I went to had were larger than what was needed. But Amazon sold them. If someone wanted to go classier than using white plastic, there are probably better options around, and even small D-rings would work.

The twill was available on both Amazon and in the fabric stores, in many colors.
            ----
            All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
            Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
            X