Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,527   Posts: 187,795   Members: 6,489   Active Members: 305
Welcome to our newest member, diederik.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REQ: Reviews of current MacBook Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MtnMan
    replied
    All I can say is WOW. And thanks, everyone!

Leave a comment:

• holoholo
    replied
    My review is gonna sound fairly similar.

1. Only had the 11" MBA for a few weeks, so I haven't really fully used it to its utmost. Use, or will use it for photo editing, web browsing and communication, watching videos, basic graphics, and video conversion. Compared to my previous Mac(s) it's a definite favorite. Speed and performance is a surprise as it handles everything I can throw at it. It does lag on larger photoshop files, but for normal daily use, it handles everything quicker. I don't do any video editing (yet) so I can't say anything performance wise to that topic.

2. Still use the 13" Macbook Al as my main computer, but I am beginning to rely more and more on the 11" MBA, it's just more enjoyable to use.

3. Graphics are very clear even for its limited size. It is much sharper than my 13" Macbook Al, even though both are similar, the glare on the 11" MBA is noticeably less. I use a G5 desktop at work connected to a 26" monitor, and have previously owned a 15" powerbook, and imac, and several other older G4 and mac desktops. Out of all of these the MBA is a favorite. Sound quality is limited, but as others have stated, just use ear monitors or headphones. Battery life is very good, true to listing. Performance is excellent.

4. Right now, just running Mac OS only as I don't really use any Windows applications both personal and at work.

5. Software runs just fine ...have Photoshop and Illustrator CS3 installed, as well as Photomatix Pro, Filter Forge, and some video conversion software installed. No problems at all.

6. Scary silent.

7. 11" w/ 1.4ghz, 2gb ram, 128 storage. Don't really need a Superdrive, as the Remote Disk feature is great.

8. In terms of portability... it's a dream come true.

9. Will be carried using a Radtech Sleevz, inside a Ristretto for the 11" MBA. All I need is the MBA and my MiFi and I'm good to go. Ipod touch as an accessory along with card reader and flash drive.

10. Connectivity is great, Mainly just use it with the Mifi. Have various external drives, but mainly use a 16gb sandisk drive for added storage (just purchase a 32gb one but don't have it yet). No problems at all.

11. No, but I am looking at connecting it to my TV

12. It's what I've been looking for, as I wanted a lighter weight travel computer, and just didn't see using the ipad for what I wanted it to do. Came close to going with a Vaio P, but luckily was able to get this. Will get to put it through its paces on my 1st business trip since getting it, in less than a week. Main shortcoming would be battery life, and lack of peripherals for additional power. I've always had an extra battery for my portables, but the MBA does not allow for it. HyperMac, had a perfect external battery, but due to a lawsuit was required to stop making them. I believe they worked out a way around the suit with their new device introduced at the CES show, but it's still not out yet.

Leave a comment:

• beck
    replied
    Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
    1: What kind of tasks do you perform with your Air, and how do you like it compared to your previous laptop machine?
    I used to be a MBPro user, then 2.5 years ago, I switched to a MB, which was fine for my needs (web, email, writing, photoshop, excel). The MBA performs better than the MB due to the SSD. It's very zippy.

2: Do you use your Air as a kind of satellite machine of your desktop, or is your Air also your primary computer?
    It's my primary computer. I store all of my music on a time capsule.

3: How do you like video display quality and sound quality of your Air? Its battery life and computing performance?
    Video display is excellent, sound is adequate. Battery life is very good.

4: Do you run MacOS 10.6 only, or do you run Windows on your Air?
    I only run MacOS 10.6.

5: How well does software run on your Air?
    Runs as well or better than on my MB.

6: Compared to other laptops, how silent/noisy is your Air?
    Completely silent.

7: What configuration is your Air in terms of overall size, CPU speed, RAM, and storage? (Note that I did not say "hard drive size") How much did you pay for your Air? Also: did you purchase Apple's ultra-portable SuperDrive with your Air, and what do you think of it?
    11", 1.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB hard drive. With various dongles, a time capsule and a new Ristretto, my budget was just under 2k.

I didn't purchase a SuperDrive and there is no need. There's a Remote Drive utility that works very well.

8: What is your appraisal of the Air in terms of its portability? How do you like its relatively light weight and small size compared to other laptops?
    Super light weight and small. Makes a big difference in where I'll take my computer.

9: How do you carry your Air? How often do you carry your Air? What do you pack with your Air when you travel/commute with it? What is your preferred packing solution for your Air?
    Right now I'm not sure about this. I normally travel with my Brain Bag and my computer in a cache, but I'm thinking about checking a bag and just taking my Ristretto onboard. Remains to be seen what I'll do, but I travel a fair bit, so I'll have more to say, soon.

10: What do you think about your Air's connectivity? Do you like going all-USB? What kind of USB accessories do you carry with your Air and how do you use them? Have you ever plugged a USB hard drive and some other USB accessory into your Air at the same time and been less-than-enthusiastic with the results?
    All cloud/USB is fine so far.

11: Do you use an external monitor with your Air?
    I use a 23" Samsung and it works just as it did with the MB. I've also hooked it up to projectors and it's been fine.

12: What are your most positive experiences with your Air? What do you feel are the Air's most prominent vulnerabilities/shortcomings?
    This is the first piece of technology I have *loved* in a while. I really REALLY like it. Shortcoming is certainly the anxiety I have about the HD space. I have 80 GB available and wince every time I make a big file or install a piece of software with a large footprint.

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    replied
    I have been using the 11" MB Air for about 4-5 weeks now and I love it. To answer your questions:
    1 - I use the MB Air daily to do electronic medical records in a number of facilities I work in. I also use it for email, web surfing, some skype-ing, watching video (HULU, Netflix, etc)

2 - It is a secondary computer. I use Windows machines in the office, an iMac at home. There are instances where, both in the office as well as at home, I do the same as my desktop machines, but I do not think it could be used as a full time replacement for me.

3 - Video is excellent - the resolution is the same as that of the 13 in MB Pro it replaced. The sound is acceptable - surprisingly good actually for the speakers on board. Like Maverick, I use earphones when I really need good sound. Computing performance is adequate to good for almost all of what I need - it is a bit laggy if you are a gamer or need high performance video creation/editing. For playback, it is fine. Battery life is decent to good - I have consistently gotten about 5 -6 hours with regular daily use. If I am in the air watching video (movies, TV shows), 3-4 hours has been normal for me depending on the brightness of the screen.

4 - I am running 10.6 as well as Windows 7 (via Parallels) - No issues for my Windows software - except for my billing software - requires Win XP Pro on a dedicated machine - It will not even run in bootcamp or virtualized XP run thru Windows 7 - got to update one of these days....

5 - all software I use runs without hiccups or lags. Photoshop is a tad bit slow but not really a problem for me since I no longer use it.

6 - it is silent. I do not think the fan has ever come on - even after 3 hours of a movie. If it did come on, I did not hear it.

7 - 11" with 1.6GHz processor, 4GB RAM, 128 G SSD, purchased at Apple store. I use an existing external DVD player via USB for CD/DVD use. I already had this for an old netbook and saw no need to get something new. Works with no problems.

8 - It is the best thing since sliced bread - it is amazingly light - almost like I am not even carrying a laptop.

9 - currently carrying it in a Waterfield Design laptop sleeve for the 11" MBAir inside an ID. The Ristretto for MB Air just arrived 2 days ago. I have done a few dry runs - I know that as soon as it leaves the house, the bag will become unreturnable - just the nature of the places I go to. The Ristretto is really nice but it seems a bit small in terms of what I often carry - have to decide if it will work for me in real world practice.

10 - Connectivity is not a problem - wifi is strong and connects easily to all the access points I have needed. Bluetooth works reliably. The 2 USB ports are all I need since I rarely need to connect to something other than a printer or external hard drive for storage of EMR.

11 - I have not needed to use an external monitor. I keep a lot of material in the cloud (dropbox) and can easily access that. If I do need to connect to a projector, I am guessing it will be no more or less difficult than it was with my MB Pro.

12 - The MB Air is a very solid machine - does not at all feel flimsy or delicate. One of the best features, is no more lap-burn. It is a very cool running machine and that is wonderful!!

For me On-board storage limitations is the biggest shortcoming..Built-in 3G connectivity would be nice but I can always use my phone as a hotspot - although this kills my phone's battery life.

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    replied
    Wow! Thanks for the quick response.

I hope to see more feedback like this from Air users!

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    I would appreciate it very much if participants in this forum who own and use the newest (Fall, 2010) generation of Apple's MacBook Air would post their reviews of this product line.

Some things I would like to know from Air owners:

1: What kind of tasks do you perform with your Air, and how do you like it compared to your previous laptop machine?
    i use terminal to for running scripts, sshing to other machines; chrome for web browsing, mail for email, adium and skype for instant messaging, yojimbo for information management, iphoto for managing my photos, imovie for video productions, address book for contact management, ical for time management, itunes for music, garageband for recording audio, remote desktop for connecting to windows machines, coda for editing scripts, html, etc., iwork and ms office for word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations, and omnigraffle professional for diagraming.

i used a 15" macbook pro and switched to the 11" macbook air for the smaller form factor.

besides size and weight, the differences between the two are that the macbook air doesn't have an sd card slot, firewire and an optical drive. i use a usb sd card reader when i need it. i haven't had the need for an optical drive. and when i need to capture video from my video camera over firewire, i can do so on the macbook pro which i still have. though i'm looking at updating my camera (it's 5 years old).

2: Do you use your Air as a kind of satellite machine of your desktop, or is your Air also your primary computer?
    it's my primary computer.

3: How do you like video display quality and sound quality of your Air? Its battery life and computing performance?
    performance, battery life, and video display are all great. the built in speakers are not as bright as the ones in the macbook pro, but i use in ear monitors with it so it's a non-issue for me.

runs great.

it's quiet, though i had no complaints with the macbook pro.

7: What configuration is your Air in terms of overall size, CPU speed, RAM, and storage? (Note that I did not say "hard drive size") How much did you pay for your Air? Also: did you purchase Apple's ultra-portable SuperDrive with your Air, and what do you think of it?
    11" with 1.6ghz processor, 4gb ram, 128g storage - purchased at the apple store.

8: What is your appraisal of the Air in terms of its portability? How do you like its relatively light weight and small size compared to other laptops?
    love it.

9: How do you carry your Air? How often do you carry your Air? What do you pack with your Air when you travel/commute with it? What is your preferred packing solution for your Air?
    in the ristretto for the 11" macbook air or in the cache inside the imago. this and this video show what i usually carry with the air.

10: What do you think about your Air's connectivity? Do you like going all-USB? What kind of USB accessories do you carry with your Air and how do you use them? Have you ever plugged a USB hard drive and some other USB accessory into your Air at the same time and been less-than-enthusiastic with the results?
    usb peripherals i use include a flash drive, an sd card reader, hard drives, audio interface (mackie blackjack), mouse, and keyboard. they all work great with the air.

at work, when i'm showing something to others i'll either connect to my 23" lcd if folks are huddled behind me at my desk or to the projector if we're in a conference room.

12: What are your most positive experiences with your Air? What do you feel are the Air's most prominent vulnerabilities/shortcomings?
    it's well executed. the ipad gives me the portability i want with the functionality i need.

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    started a topic REQ: Reviews of current MacBook Air

REQ: Reviews of current MacBook Air

I would appreciate it very much if participants in this forum who own and use the newest (Fall, 2010) generation of Apple's MacBook Air would post their reviews of this product line.

Some things I would like to know from Air owners:

Photos and video demos also welcome in this thread.

Thank you!

--The Mountain Man
Working...
X