Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,745   Posts: 190,322   Members: 6,605   Active Members: 255
Welcome to our newest member, MeaningwaveExists.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ice Cream

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by tCook View Post
    Mine is red, too! Yours didn't look all *that* bad - I probably would have tried it anyway. Didn't know you could make it with eggs that weren't tempered at all, but you learn something new every day!

    I'd do something like this:

    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 cups half-and-half cream
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract

    Heavy cream + half and half is too rich for me, but that's an individual choice. Mix it all together until the sugar is completely dissolved and add the vanilla last, then either chill it again or just go for it in the ice cream maker. Also, I tend to modify recipes to about 3 cups of liquid because it grows as it freezes and some "climbs" up the edges. Although that's a good excuse to do a lot of sampling.

    Could Creme Fraiche or Sour Cream be substituted for whipping cream?

    With all the churning, I don't want to make butter but Creme Fraiche makes Chantilly which is richer than whipped cream.

    And could I add frozen fruits and/or chocolate in form of cacao powder/chocolate chips/brownie bites.


    I am asking because I also have a ice cream maker which I bought some time ago, I now have to use ice cream as a substitute for yogurt in all dairy desserts.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by backpack View Post
      Could Creme Fraiche or Sour Cream be substituted for whipping cream?

      With all the churning, I don't want to make butter but Creme Fraiche makes Chantilly which is richer than whipped cream.

      And could I add frozen fruits and/or chocolate in form of cacao powder/chocolate chips/brownie bites.


      I am asking because I also have a ice cream maker which I bought some time ago, I now have to use ice cream as a substitute for yogurt in all dairy desserts.
      Dunno about creme fraiche, or sour cream; they seem a bit thick to use in place of the half-and-half and heavy cream normally used for ice cream.

      Why don't you try them and let us know?


      Far as adding bits of frozen fruit, brownie bits, chocolate chips, etc... Absolutely! A tip though - add them near the end of the churning/freezing process. If you put them in at the beginning they will just sink to the bottom ('specially the chocolate chips).
      Ted

      SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut 45 in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

      Comment


        #33
        After checking yummy Azalea and Sapphire aka Blood Orange and Blueberry.

        I tried to find my ice cream thread only to find something about vegetables and meat.

        I guess it would be wise to try the creme fraiche in small quantity or try to find a recipe online.

        The problem is, I have a small freezer full of ready made food for the husband unit who can, without trouble, eat his own weight in a week and looks as slim and gorgeous as the day I met him (well, he looks better)

        I guess I need to place the ice cream bowl in the freezer to cool it off, the fridge won't do?

        Comment


          #34
          This coming weekend I'm finally going to give the vanilla ice cream a try! I've been so busy with bumbershoot, weekend trips home to help the grandparents get ready for their move that I haven't had a chance to try this yet .
          http://www.tombihn.com
          1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
          Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Katy View Post
            This coming weekend I'm finally going to give the vanilla ice cream a try! I've been so busy with bumbershoot, weekend trips home to help the grandparents get ready for their move that I haven't had a chance to try this yet .
            When I first saw this post, I thought you were trying vanilla ice cream for the first time. As in tasting it!

            My favourite flavours:

            Peanut Butter Chocolate - I like the Häagen-Dazs version
            Myer Lemon - by Gelato Fresco up here in Canada
            Chocolate sorbet - same as above
            "French Crisp" (from Laura Secord here in Canada) - butterscotch ice cream with dark chocolate mini-chips, almonds, and toffee bits.

            I log off now to get a move on to the freezer....
            "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Maria View Post
              When I first saw this post, I thought you were trying vanilla ice cream for the first time. As in tasting it!

              My favourite flavours:

              Peanut Butter Chocolate - I like the Häagen-Dazs version
              Myer Lemon - by Gelato Fresco up here in Canada
              Chocolate sorbet - same as above
              "French Crisp" (from Laura Secord here in Canada) - butterscotch ice cream with dark chocolate mini-chips, almonds, and toffee bits.

              I log off now to get a move on to the freezer....

              Oh my gosh! I nearly pee'd my pants! In Seattle there is a local ice cream shop called Molly Moon's that makes AMAZING ice cream. Last winter, they had a meyer lemon ice cream flavor. It was just the perfect amount of lemon and perfect amount of creamy delicious ice cream (unfortunately it is seasonal ). Last winter they were deciding where to open up their next shop and had their truck parked in our neighborhood. Eliam and I would drive down to the truck in our pajamas in the snow and stand in line waiting for their fresh made waffle cones and delicious ice cream.

              I love lemon everything!

              Please ignore my poor grammar, I was excited.
              http://www.tombihn.com
              1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
              Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by Katy View Post
                I love lemon everything!
                Katy, if you're ever in Rome, you've got to get the crema di limone gelato from Giolitti. I'll make no guarantees that this is the best gelato in Italy or whatever, but usually lemon gelato is more like sorbet. This was freakin' ICE CREAM with smooth lemon flavor (Sicilian lemons, I was told) and subtle sweet creaminess. It has to be the "crema di limone"--the regular limone won't be the same.

                I had this in August, 2007. The 7th, I think. Anyway, it was super good.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Badger View Post
                  Katy, if you're ever in Rome, you've got to get the crema di limone gelato from Giolitti. I'll make no guarantees that this is the best gelato in Italy or whatever, but usually lemon gelato is more like sorbet. This was freakin' ICE CREAM with smooth lemon flavor (Sicilian lemons, I was told) and subtle sweet creaminess. It has to be the "crema di limone"--the regular limone won't be the same.

                  I had this in August, 2007. The 7th, I think. Anyway, it was super good.
                  This is now on my "must do asap" list. The Molly Moon's Meyer Lemon was ICE CREAM too. But.. Sicilian lemons are like..totally different man and I really need a legit excuse to go to Italy and this may be it.

                  Last winter I sent a friend to Molly Moon's to grab the meyer lemon ice cream, he came back with the sorbet. Needless to say I will never trust him with my ice cream buying again.

                  However, my excuse when traveling to Italy will be "I'm getting back to my Italian roots man" but inside I will be thinking "Ice cream..Ice Cream...Ice Cream.. Ice Cream"
                  http://www.tombihn.com
                  1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
                  Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    When you're not eating gelato, you can have granita. There's a coffee flavor but the lemon is better if they use real lemon juice and zest. Granita di limone kicks lemon sorbet's ass.

                    There! Now you have TWO legitimate reasons to go to Italy.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      So - how close is Molly Moon's to the TB Seattle showroom? When I can get back to Seattle, I'll have to plan a trip and arrange it when they are both opened!

                      (I just checked the list of flavours on the Molly Moon website. They have SALTED CARAMEL ice cream! Wish I could fly out to Seattle now!)
                      Last edited by Maria; 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM. Reason: Salted Caramel!
                      "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

                      Comment


                        #41
                        There are a few, none are very close . I believe there is one downtown, near pike place, a micro shop in madrona, one on capitol hill, one in wallingford and now a shop in queen anne.

                        Molly Moon's Ice Cream Shop Locations | Wallingford and Capitol Hill

                        Even though not that close to the seattle factory, it's worth the trek . Also, it's worth exploring seattle while you're here too. There is a lot more to seattle than the Tom Bihn factory (though.. we are pretty awesome!).
                        http://www.tombihn.com
                        1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
                        Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Good grief, they're right down the street from the office.


                          I like Gelatiamo on 3rd and Union for all my gelato needs. They too have had a salted caramel flavor in the past; it was gooooooooood!
                          Ted

                          SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut 45 in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by Flinx View Post
                            Good grief, they're right down the street from the office.


                            I like Gelatiamo on 3rd and Union for all my gelato needs. They too have had a salted caramel flavor in the past; it was gooooooooood!
                            Eliam is a huge fan of Molly Moon's Salted Caramel ice cream.

                            OH! They do the gelato that you get if you order pizza + gelato from Pagliacci! It's yummy! Have you tried fainting goat in wallingford? Or D'Ambrosio in ballard? I've heard good things about fainting goat, though I haven't tried it. D'Ambrosio is amazing though.

                            I'm not the world's best cook and I hate doing dishes so I really get around on the Seattle food scene .



                            Also, I think you need to check out molly moon's on your lunch break. Just saying!

                            I swear, we have NOT gone to the molly moon's truck during lunch break on the days that they park at the Starbucks HQ...*cough**cough* ahem. Promise...

                            Side note, I feel really bad for anyone who lives close to a molly moon's shop. Sometimes when I drive down 45th in wallingford past the shop, I can smell the waffle cones at least a block away. I don't know how they can control themselves.
                            Last edited by Katy; 09-20-2011, 08:51 PM.
                            http://www.tombihn.com
                            1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
                            Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Seattle is a gorgeous place! I've only been out there once and was in awe! I've already bookmarked Molly Moon's on my "Seattle Travel" page and am looking forward to eventually get back out to the city and tour around. Plus make a few pizza stops too! Yum!

                              On a side note - I highly recommend the TB ultra suede screen cloth! I happened to have the cloth wrapped across the key board of my new MacBook Pro. While sitting nearby (okay, not over the keyboard, about 1 1/2 feet away!) and enjoying a pastry I just picked up on the way home...I happened to inhale a little of the powdered sugar on the top of the pastry...and coughed / chocked and powdered sugar went all over the keyboard. Well, the screen cloth saved it!

                              Note to self: keep laptop at home when visiting Seattle and enjoying ice cream and pizza. Plus sit at the kitchen table for pastries while at home!
                              "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Katy View Post
                                Side note, I feel really bad for anyone who lives close to a molly moon's shop. Sometimes when I drive down 45th in wallingford past the shop, I can smell the waffle cones at least a block away. I don't know how they can control themselves.

                                I finally understand how they must feel. There is a new burger place near my apartment that cooks large amounts of bacon. Last night, they must have been testing the new grills or finally getting ready to open (FINALLY!!!) but my entire neighborhood smelled of bacon and delicious burgers. This may cause a problem.. Thank goodness winter is coming and I can keep my windows closed.
                                http://www.tombihn.com
                                1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
                                Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X