Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,825   Posts: 191,304   Members: 6,699   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, Ea0423.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High-quality writing utensils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pw1224
    replied
    Yeah... I'm off to Japan in about 48 hours (with Tom Bihn luggage, of course!)... The only way this trip could be remotely mistaken for even slightly-entertaining is if I purchase fountain pen stuff and/or go stuff. So I'm prepping to check luggage in on the way back. Other than that, it's Bihn ALL THE WAY! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• MsMoon
    replied
    Ack! I have to stop reading this thread! You people are enablers...

Leave a comment:

• AVService
    replied
    Well so far I really like the 1 that I have tried?

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    "Novelty" systems usually meet the same fate, I think Parker, in the olden days tried a similar kind of writing instrument, with the same smashing success.

Leave a comment:

• misterN
    replied
    They're pretty bad. You have to be basically 90 degree to the paper

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by dorayme View Post
    I tried these when I picked up some back to school supplies for my kidlets. I hated them. The one I purchased didn't work. It skipped so badly that I had to make multiple passes to read what I had written, and it didn't stop happening with a bit of use. Maybe I purchased a bad batch?
    I had the same problem!

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    Originally posted by AVService View Post
    On a somewhat related note,I tried the Sharpie Liquid Pencil yesterday.
    What a Bizarre device!
    I tried these when I picked up some back to school supplies for my kidlets. I hated them. The one I purchased didn't work. It skipped so badly that I had to make multiple passes to read what I had written, and it didn't stop happening with a bit of use. Maybe I purchased a bad batch?

Leave a comment:

• AVService
    replied
    On a somewhat related note,I tried the Sharpie Liquid Pencil yesterday.
    What a Bizarre device!
    Feels much like a cross between a Pencil and a Pen but fully erases and evidently is a Graphite Liquid of some kind.
    They are cheap and worth a try I think,I really like using a pencil during the workday when doing technical things but with the obvious caveats too.
    This thing really does speak to many of the issues with a standard pencil and also with mechanical ones with breaking lead.

Something about it is so Wrong but also something is so Right?

Go Technology!

Ed

Leave a comment:

• Walker
    replied
    Interesting thread! Ever since I got introduced to the Handspring Treo, I have been "writing" using my PDA/phones, including heavy business-related writing projects.

It is always thrilling to see & read real handwriting, but I personally do very little of it. Reading this thread, however, brought back memories of handwriting; how one took time to think through, savor, and carefully choose the words to commit to handwriting.

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by misterN View Post
    I'm on the edge of purchasing the Lany Safari for myself off of Amazon...must resist >.<
    That's what I'm considering. It seems like a great starter fountain pen!

And maybe a notebook to go with it....

Leave a comment:

• misterN
    replied
    I'm on the edge of purchasing the Lany Safari for myself off of Amazon...must resist >.<

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    The link below gives information on Seattle fountain pen shops.

Seattle Trip - The Fountain Pen Network

A good bet to find cheaper fountain pens is to check, frequent, roam (choose verb according to the level of enthusiasm about fountain pens, inks and soon stationery): independent stationery stores in the business district especially, independent bookstores, closeout or overstock stores.

Oh! Thank you! I think I know where I'll be going on Saturday .

Leave a comment:

• jmart
    replied
    Speaking of fountain pens, I just bought about a month ago, the Pilot Vanishing point. Its was $120. I got the extra fine nib, and I must say this is a really nice pen to write with. I use levenger circa paper and Rhodia paper with it. Check it out. Compliments my 7 Tom Bihn bags quite nicely.

Amazon.com: Pilot Vanishing Point Retractable Fountain Pen, Black with Rhodium Accents, Medium Nib, (60242): Office Products

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by Katy View Post
    This is my favorite thread ever! I need to go pen shopping now .
    The link below gives information on Seattle fountain pen shops.

Seattle Trip - The Fountain Pen Network

A good bet to find cheaper fountain pens is to check, frequent, roam (choose verb according to the level of enthusiasm about fountain pens, inks and soon stationery): independent stationery stores in the business district especially, independent bookstores, closeout or overstock stores.
    Last edited by backpack; 08-31-2011, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    Originally posted by Katy View Post
    Being out of school really brought my desire for quality pens and paper to an end. I really need to start writing more notes, my hand writing is getting terrible! Maybe a fancy new pen will encourage me to work on my handwriting.

As it's "back to school" time for many, and the weather turning to fall (in this part of the world) always brings out the feeling that I'm missing on something, even if it's been many years since I was in school. Hence - a small purchase of nice paper eases the addiction, or the withdrawal. Besides, using a fountain pen properly has really improved my hand writing. And in this day and age - a handwritten note is a lost art.

Originally posted by misterN View Post
    Dear lord, I don't need another expensive thing to spend money on. TB bags, cameras + lenses, now super high end pens?!?! >.<
    A fine pen is not "spending money", as it's an investment in something that can last a lifetime, even more than one lifetime. Yes, there are "super high end pens" that cost well over $100,000. That's certainly not my price point, but for a collector that has the cash - for them it's obviously worth it. Some people complain that TB bags as "expensive". I don't look upon them as expensive at all. For the quality, and the lasting value - they are technically cheap when you calculate the cost per use, the quality and not having to replace them often, etc. One can spend more in terms of quantity / volume, replacing something often when it falls apart, or is no longer needed. I'd rather look at it as quality over quantity. (Unless it's my collection - that is different! Because to me - it's all quality and hence I want quantity too.)

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X