Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,177   Members: 6,595   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, bosticderek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High-quality writing utensils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flinx
    replied
    If you don't mind spending a small fortune, check out Tom Anderson's work.

https://artistryintitanium.com/Home_Page.php

Leave a comment:

• roadrunner
    replied
    Pentel Sharp Kerry for sure on the mechanical pencil
    As for the pens, I carry around an assortment of fountain pens in my zephyr... it's an addiction much like TB bags!

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    replied
    I'm not fussy on the pens; I suppose that "less thin" would be best.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Very informative!

Leave a comment:

• amw
    replied
    You might look at mechanical drafting pencils. My best pencils have been the ones I got for a drafting class in high school. You can guess how long ago that was that we didn't us computers.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Pilot G2 gel pen, available by the box load at office supply stores in blue and black with a fine point .

I tried a Space Pen and it was awful.

Those pages have reviews for pretty much all current production mechanical pencils

Dave's Mechanical Pencils
    pencil talk » Mechanical pencils

It would help to know if you like thin or less thin pens.

Good classic thin ballpoint are the Parker Jotter and the classic Cross ballpoint (both available in big brands office stores)

I have to add that my personal preference is for fountain pens, then mechanical or colored pencils; rollerballs and ballpoints sharing the least favorite slot.

I love Lamy Safaris and have a matching set 1 medium nib foutain pen, 1 bold nib fountain pen, mechanical pencil, rollerball and ballpoint in one classic color.
    Safaris are school pens available in an array of lovely colors, some of them limited edition, just like Tom Bihn Cordura.
    They also have a particular grooved grip guide which help children hold pens correctly, that grip guide is not for everyone as it conforms to the classic european tripod handgrip taught at school.

I also own 2 Lamy Studios fountain pens which have a more professional look, Tom is holding a blue Lamy Studio in the Field Journal Notebook pictures.

My Pilot G2 with a bold point replaces fountain pens on travel.
    Last edited by backpack; 08-27-2011, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    started a topic High-quality writing utensils?

High-quality writing utensils?

I'm interested in seeking out high-quality writing utensils to carry in my Super Ego briefcase. It's really important to me to have reliable, quality pens and mechanical pencils carried with me.

I've already discovered discussions on this forum about the Space Pen. I'm interested in checking out other possibilities.

For the mechanical pencil, I'm looking for something with a brand name that has a reputation for superior durability, quality and reliability. I would prefer to find something with a "fat grip" section near the writing point and a good mechanism for installing replacement leads. I like mechanical pencils for taking notes; they're erasable and glide on paper easier than ordinary wood pencils. But cheap mechanical pencils aren't reliable. Replacing the leads in them is problematic at best.

Are there any really good mail-order sources for high quality writing instruments? If so, I would appreciate it if links could be posted here.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X