Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,625   Posts: 188,931   Members: 6,609   Active Members: 292
gianlucamazzi
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, gianlucamazzi.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have Sirius XM satellite radio for their cars/homes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    nukediver
    Forum Member

• nukediver
    replied
    Ok, so I'm a bit late to this thread..... My 70-mile round trip commute each day can be upwards of 4 hours (2 hours to go 35 miles is insane, I know...). Even though my drive goes from the NY radio market to the Philly radio market, and back, I get so tired of commercial radio, and even though I'm a diehard NPR-er, sometimes I just want music. Since I love the Grateful Dead, keeping XM was a no-brainer. I'm also a heavy listener of Radio Margaritaville, and the MLB station during baseball season. It's so nice to listen to uninterrupted music, so it's worth every penny (<$20/month) to me.

Leave a comment:

• BPritchard
    Forum Member

• BPritchard
    replied
    Our new RAV4 has XM capability. However, it costs $600 at the dealer to hook up. Sort of a rip-off when all it is a module installation. Especially when parts online are about $200 or less. Installation can't be that hard.
    Sat radio was a nice feature on our trip last year to Seattle area. Only thing that prevents me from getting Sat radio for the car is that you need a subscription for the car and then one for your home or portable device.
    So if I want Sat radio, I'll get a portable device to use anywhere. I'll have to investigate models. For use of a portable device in our RAV 4 all I have to do it find out how to hack into the antenna lead. Then I'm golden.

I think Santa will bring a portable Sat radio to me. I want to listen anywhere I am.

Leave a comment:

• PM4HIRE
    Forum Member

• PM4HIRE
    replied
    I found that the NPR channels' programming was one day behind
    and some of my favorite programs were not even available on XM.

Leave a comment:

• ams123
    Forum Member

• ams123
    replied
    I've had Sirius in my car for a few years. I could also listen on my computer, but they took that feature away, now it costs extra. Since I have been able to hook up my ipod to my car's audio system I wasn't listening to Sirius much anymore, and I just canceled my subscription. Mine was $149 a year. I listen to my ipod all of the time - audiobooks, podcasts, music, etc.

Leave a comment:

• MaggieScratch
    Forum Member

• MaggieScratch
    replied
    Keep in mind they don't play the whole audiobook at a time. They do a chapter or two a day. There are different shows every hour.

The old-time radio station is so much fun, though.

Leave a comment:

• Scattered
    Forum Member

• Scattered
    replied
    I've had both XM and Sirius, depending on what came with the car I owned at the time. Right now, it's Sirius. I go through phases of which channels I listen to the most. I've been doing a 4-hour round-trip every other week for the last week or so, and find the talk and comedy channels pretty good for keeping me awake on the ride back, which feels so much longer thanks to being on my feet and making nice with clients for several hours! Sometimes I hit the book or old radio channel for a real change of pace too, they can be fun if. I do get frustrated on occasion with the commercials on this supposedly commercial-free media supplier, but it's still way less than you get on over the air radio. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting money on this, so I don't sign up after the free trial runs out on a new car, then I get tired or regular radio repeats and commercials and too lazy to keep swapping CDs and always forgetting my iPod at home or the office and I sign up again. Plus, if I only ever listened to my own CDs and iPod, I'd rarely learn about new music. So I keep going back to satellite radio. I signed up for a longer-term, 2 years pre-paid, if I remember right, so have a little lower monthly rate, about $15, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    Forum Member

• Lani
    replied
    Originally posted by TXGirl View Post
    My fav channels are Hair Nation(the big hair bands like Guns n Roses, Whitesnake, etc)
    Gotta love that name! lol.

I didn't know about the audiobooks, either! for long road trips that sounds like an awesome option!

Leave a comment:

• TXGirl
    Forum Member

• TXGirl
    replied
    We have it in both of our cars. I love Sirius!! I don't even remember the last time I listened to the local radio stations. My fav channels are Hair Nation(the big hair bands like Guns n Roses, Whitesnake, etc), and the 70s, 80s, 90s music channels.

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    I work at TOM BIHN

• Katy
    replied
    HA! I've been convinced to buy quite a few things thanks to the Forum! Everyone just has such great ideas!

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    Volunteer ********* Alumni

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by Katy View Post
    I wasn't convinced I needed an XM radio until this statement...This sounds AMAZING!
    It is sort of awesome that you are on the receiving end of forum-driven consumeristic persuasion for once.

Bwah-ha-haaah!
    Badger
    Volunteer ********* Alumni
    Last edited by Badger; 10-27-2011, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    I work at TOM BIHN

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    like the book station (they play partial audiobooks) and the old-time radio station, which has radio plays from the early days of radio. I love that stuff.
    I wasn't convinced I needed an XM radio until this statement...This sounds AMAZING!

Leave a comment:

• MaggieScratch
    Forum Member

• MaggieScratch
    replied
    It came with my car, and I subscribed when the trial period (6 months) was up. I really enjoy it. I listen most to Radio Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffet and similar music), First Wave (they describe it as "classic alternative"--it's New Wave and other alternative stuff from the 80s), and BBC World News. I'm thinking about upgrading to have it on my Android phone as well. At work I would probably listen a lot to the talkie stations, like the book station (they play partial audiobooks) and the old-time radio station, which has radio plays from the early days of radio. I love that stuff.

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    Forum Member

• rabergnc
    replied
    There are a couple of tiers ranging from $12.95/month to about $17/month. If you are willing to subscribe for a year or more, it works out to be cheaper as they extend the subscription by up to 5 or 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    Forum Member

• Lani
    replied
    Wow, thanks for all your feedback! I think for now, we won't get it for ourselves, but keep it in mind when we want to rent a car for a long road trip like we did.

We did have some getting used to... we were so excited that we kept getting a signal up in the hinterlands of Acadia National Park in Maine, but discovered that all of its wonderful foliage (read: tall trees) kept breaking up the satellite line-of-sight! Something you don't normally have to worry about with regular radio.

No one mentioned price -- I'm assuming it's something like $20 a month or so? I guess it would be worth it if you were a traveling salesman or a trucker and always driving everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• KarlJ
    Forum Member

• KarlJ
    replied
    I have Sirius, and typical of anything you subscribe to (magazines, cable TV, etc.) you will find that it runs hot and cold. Some months the programming is a dud, or you'll get three issues of nothing articles. Then you get a winner for a while. It's just another choice I have available... not necessarily any better. But I have had it for about six years or so... my rates are grandfathered (pre- Stern and pre- XM) so it's a bargain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X