Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,530   Posts: 187,825   Members: 6,493   Active Members: 292
Welcome to our newest member, dcaisson.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who makes Apple stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misterN
    replied
    Mtnman,

I agree with just about everything you're saying. Unfortunately, there is no real alternative when it comes to tech goodies. The only things I can feel fairly certain about not being manufactured in the same sort of factories would be my pro-grade lenses for my camera (albeit I'm not sure about the components that go into them.)

I guess the only real thing we could do, is to make sure that other people know about the conditions that people are in for the products we purchase.

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    replied
    An important thing to remember...

Even though there was a time when "MADE IN USA" meant you could still find devices, durable goods/appliances and other hardware like computers and TV sets for sale on retail shelves, our country allowed whole industries to pack up and move offshore. I'm not opposed to buying something made offshore, but shopping for computers, phones, cameras and other electronic goods pretty much leaves no choice. If you want to buy a new phone (any type, cellular or cordless), music player or TV, and you want to screen out Pacific Rim suppliers, how many realistic choices will you have? Who is responsible for this development? Should each of us individually look in the mirror? Should we judge ourselves collectively for making this choice to allow these industries to leave without question in the name of so-called "free trade"? Or should we judge our political leaders for not questioning these decisions in the national interest on our behalf?

The last time I heard, Canada has laws that prohibit industrial mills from closing in one province to move to another. Yet mills in the US often shift from state to state to pursue lower wages and weaker worker protections. And with the "Citizens United" decision from the U.S. Supreme Court opening the flood gates not just to unlimited business financing of political campaigns but also to the unlimited flow of foreign money as well, what is the immediate likelihood of legislation passing that would change this situation?

Is all this Apple's responsibility? It doesn't seem that long ago that computers and other devices were being manufactured on these shores. I don't hold Apple responsible, nor do I hold the computer industry or the larger electronics industry responsible. They're just going with the flow. But what good does it do to complain about the effects of unrestrained free trade if we can't/won't/don't have a plan to do anything about it?
    Last edited by MtnMan; 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM. Reason: typo correction

Leave a comment:

• misterN
    replied
    Listening to this currently. I've heard about some of this before. Will comment more when it's finished.

Unfortunately, I've read about the worker abuse in China at these factories.

Now I'm going to have to go to bed with a guilty feeling tonight...
    Last edited by misterN; 01-17-2012, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PM4HIRE
    started a topic Who makes Apple stuff?

Who makes Apple stuff?

Read this:

Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory | This American Life
Working...
X