Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,498   Posts: 187,496   Members: 6,458   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, scjoyner.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iPhone 5

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Thanks mfeinstein! I ended up finding the best deal on eBay instant sale. $190 for a 16GB iPhone 4. I thought that was a great price!

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Katy View Post
      The panorama feature is actually part of iOS 6 rather than the iPhone 5. Simply upgrade the operating system on your 4S and you'll be able to take all of the panoramic photos you want .

      Apple - iOS 6 - iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch get 200+ new features.
      Duh, I knew that (just lost a wee bit of my geek cred over that, sigh...). But in my defense, I hadn't had any coffee yet when I wrote that :-)
      Eat well, travel often.

      Comment


        #18
        @bckpack. How old is your Android and how comfortable are you with computers? My provider takes forEVER to release updates, so long ago, back when I had the very first Android phone, I learned to root and install custom ROMs and never looked back (thank the gods for Cyanogenmod!). No more bloatware, spyware, or crap response time (I swear Verizon ruins the platform with all their crap, and I could do without TouchWiz too, but that's me). My husband's phone is a year newer than my old one, and my old one still runs better and smokes his POS. Worth looking in to

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by tCook View Post
          Dad is pretty hip to the tech, and had an iPhone before I did ... and it appears he'll have an iPad before I do, too!
          Went with Dad to the mall today. He now owns an iPad. #stilljealous

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by earth5 View Post
            @bckpack. How old is your Android and how comfortable are you with computers? My provider takes forEVER to release updates, so long ago, back when I had the very first Android phone, I learned to root and install custom ROMs and never looked back (thank the gods for Cyanogenmod!). No more bloatware, spyware, or crap response time (I swear Verizon ruins the platform with all their crap, and I could do without TouchWiz too, but that's me). My husband's phone is a year newer than my old one, and my old one still runs better and smokes his POS. Worth looking in to
            My husband most probably knows how to root a device but I am just tired of the Android platform. I have another provider and was thinking of switching but realized with your post, that it is, most probably, not worth it.

            Rooting the phone is one way to go. And switching to iPad and Air as my very own computers.

            Sounds like a plan. I don't need the phone to do much more than call and text, the iPad will take care of everything else.

            Comment


              #21
              I will probably get one (this will be my first iPhone). I'm not what you would call an early adopter

              This will be my most expensive phone yet. I currently have a 3 year old Blackberry curve and the model I have was a couple of years old when I got it (thus the $49 price at the time).

              Of course I will wait until the ordering frenzy dies down and the first user review are in...
              My Tom Bihn stuff: Western Flyer (Black/Steel), Large WF packing cube (Steel), Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (Steel), Absolute shoulder strap, Horizontal Cache, Clear Organizer Wallet (Plum), Small Dyneema pouch (UV), Ballistic Nylon Pen/Pencil Pouch (Steel), FOJ Pouch (Navy), Clear Quarter Packing Cube (UV), Small Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), and the Super Secret Mystery Gift!

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by OnMyWay View Post
                I will probably get one (this will be my first iPhone). I'm not what you would call an early adopter

                This will be my most expensive phone yet. I currently have a 3 year old Blackberry curve and the model I have was a couple of years old when I got it (thus the $49 price at the time).

                Of course I will wait until the ordering frenzy dies down and the first user review are in...
                You know, if you use AT&T, you can buy an iPhone 4 FOR FREE. Even the iPhone 4S is only $99 with a contract!!! ;-)

                Comment


                  #23
                  True, but it is not really free, sadly. You are signing a two year contract. I would advise against starting out with a two year old phone, which will not be able to run some of the current apps and use all the features of the just-released iOS 6. By the time your contract ends it would be four years behind. I say, go for the latest phone, or at least the 4S. Either way, waiting is a good idea. I stood in a line once to get a phone and am never doing that again!

                  Originally posted by Lani View Post
                  You know, if you use AT&T, you can buy an iPhone 4 FOR FREE. Even the iPhone 4S is only $99 with a contract!!! ;-)
                  ----
                  All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                  Edmund Burke

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                    I would advise against starting out with a two year old phone, which will not be able to run some of the current apps and use all the features of the just-released iOS 6. By the time your contract ends it would be four years behind. I say, go for the latest phone, or at least the 4S.
                    I do agree with going with the latest in this case. I tend to keep things like phones for a long time.
                    My Tom Bihn stuff: Western Flyer (Black/Steel), Large WF packing cube (Steel), Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (Steel), Absolute shoulder strap, Horizontal Cache, Clear Organizer Wallet (Plum), Small Dyneema pouch (UV), Ballistic Nylon Pen/Pencil Pouch (Steel), FOJ Pouch (Navy), Clear Quarter Packing Cube (UV), Small Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), and the Super Secret Mystery Gift!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Katy View Post
                      The panorama feature is actually part of iOS 6 rather than the iPhone 5. Simply upgrade the operating system on your 4S and you'll be able to take all of the panoramic photos you want .

                      Apple - iOS 6 - iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch get 200+ new features.
                      SNAP!

                      I totally forgot about this! Thanks for the reminder. I have an iPad and 2 Touches from work and I do believe I shall updgrade them today.
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I'm sitting this one out since I bought a 4S last year (I upgrade every other model). One of the great things about the iPhone is that lots of the neat things are part of iOS, not the hardware (as mentioned above, the panorama feature), so I don't mind skipping a generation.

                        I agree about the change in adapter (although I understand wanting to make it smaller, maybe to make the battery larger for the improved battery life). But it's hardly the case that everyone uses micro USB: I have both micro and mini USB adapters, which drives me crazy (I invariably pick up the wrong one).
                        Owner of Burnt Orange/Steel Daylight Briefcase , Burnt Orange/Steel Aeronaut 45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Pilot, Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Nordic/Ultraviolet, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, and various packing cubes, organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Is there any downside to upgrading my iPad to the ios 6? I heard a news report about the Apple maps feature being far less useable than google maps, so does anyone know if I lose the google maps by installing the new OS?

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by kmcg View Post
                            Is there any downside to upgrading my iPad to the ios 6? I heard a news report about the Apple maps feature being far less useable than google maps, so does anyone know if I lose the google maps by installing the new OS?
                            Don't do it! Wait a week or so, read up on the issues, take a peek at an iPad running iOS 6 if you know someone who upgraded. There are some advantages (SIRI, photo sharing features, improved Cards...), but they really screwed up the maps app. You can always upgrade but it isn't so easy to revert to 5.

                            My iPad is staying the way it is until/if Google releases a stand-alone maps that is available in the Apple store.
                            ----
                            All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                            Edmund Burke

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                              My iPad is staying the way it is until/if Google releases a stand-alone maps that is available in the Apple store.
                              Yep, that would be really nice. I think I'll wait, too.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                                Don't do it! Wait a week or so, read up on the issues, take a peek at an iPad running iOS 6 if you know someone who upgraded. There are some advantages (SIRI, photo sharing features, improved Cards...), but they really screwed up the maps app. You can always upgrade but it isn't so easy to revert to 5.

                                My iPad is staying the way it is until/if Google releases a stand-alone maps that is available in the Apple store.

                                Yeah, the new Maps app is far less than ideal, but I am certain that it will improve with time (hopefully sooner rather than later), but there IS a clunky workaround. Simply go to the Google maps website using the Safari browser. Is it ideal? No, but for right now, it'll do. By the way, I did upgrade my 4S and 3rd gen iPad and am loving the features that actually do work. The turn-by-turn navigation is pretty handy, and once the maps improve, I will ditch my standalone GPS.
                                Eat well, travel often.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X