Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,638   Posts: 189,072   Members: 6,627   Active Members: 291
LucieMoonl
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, LucieMoonl.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EDC Notebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    ceb
    Forum Member

• ceb
    replied
    Hmmm. I wonder where my response went.

It sounds like you just slide the front cover of the ARC under the pen pocket.

Does the FJN fit into the front section of the Western Flyer without bulging it out too much? Standing on end it should fit in front even with the center divider zipped up or am I calculating sizes wrong?

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    Forum Member

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by ceb View Post
    Reading the review and watching the video just left me open to other questions.

How do you affix the ARC to the FJN? It seems that the 3 ring binder is held in place by the plastic piece that fits into the elastic indentations.

Perhaps TB could come up with a plastic sheet that has the notches (for the indentations) on one side and is notched for ARC rings in the other. Am I overlooking something? I guess I could always go back to DayTimer.

Another forum member actually uses the Arc with the FJN, here is what she has to say:

bbcamp:
    " I use the FNJ with an A5 notebook I bought in Germany. I took out the Tom Binh rings, and just slip one side of the cover of my notebook into the pocket under the pen holders. It holds tightly, and I just let the cover on the other side hang loose.
    Your Arc notebook ought to fit, too. I did this because I already use European A5 paper, and didn't want to have to stock/buy another size of paper."
    backpack
    Forum Member
    Last edited by backpack; 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ceb
    Forum Member

• ceb
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    It will be easier to understand if you read that short thread.

http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-n...d-journal.html

Another poster wondered if an A5 Arc would fit inside the FJN without the binder rings and it does.

I can also fit a Junior size and A5 size notepad in the FJN in addition to the ring binders.

Hope this help!
    Reading the review and watching the video just left me open to other questions.

How do you affix the ARC to the FJN? It seems that the 3 ring binder is held in place by the plastic piece that fits into the elastic indentations.

Perhaps TB could come up with a plastic sheet that has the notches (for the indentations) on one side and is notched for ARC rings in the other. Am I overlooking something? I guess I could always go back to DayTimer.

Leave a comment:

• Tlacltme
    Forum Member

• Tlacltme
    replied
    @Ms.Ferret- Very Nice!

Where did you purchase the blue cord and the leather?

Leave a comment:

• ceb
    Forum Member

• ceb
    replied

Another poster wondered if an A5 Arc would fit inside the FJN without the binder rings and it does.

I can also fit a Junior size and A5 size notepad in the FJN in addition to the ring binders.

Hope this help!
    Thank you so much - and damn you too Now I have to spend more money.

Leave a comment:

• daisy
    Forum Member

• daisy
    replied
    I'm a big fan of ARC/Levenger but they aren't the easiest to fit into bags.
    I use Atoma ring bound notebooks of various sizes in various bags - a baby notebook in my SCB to A4 in my Ego and the ipad cadet. The landscape oriented bags are easy but inserting a ring bound book in a full bag in 'portrait' mode can be tricky (eg "our" ipad ristretto ... which I can rarely get my hands on anyway....)

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    Forum Member

• backpack
    replied
    Can you explain that a bit farther? Do you mean that the ARC paper fits on the three loops or that one removes the binder rings and replaces it with one of the thing ARC covers?

Hope this help!

Leave a comment:

• ceb
    Forum Member

• ceb
    replied
    FYI: A5 Arc notebooks fit inside the Field Journal Notebook, just sayin...
    Can you explain that a bit farther? Do you mean that the ARC paper fits on the three loops or that one removes the binder rings and replaces it with one of the thing ARC covers?
    ceb
    Forum Member
    Last edited by ceb; 02-24-2013, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    Forum Member

• jannilee
    replied
    Hmmm. Looks great. I think I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Ms. Ferret
    Forum Member

• Ms. Ferret
    replied
    Originally posted by jannilee View Post
    Now I am coveting a Midori Travelers notebook although it may be too tall and slim. I looove nice paper and it would be great to have writing paper and a sketchbook in a neat package. I use Molekine for my travel journals at the moment but really prefer Clairfontaine. I hate lines, love grids but am happiest with plain paper that lets me write and sketch in the same book. Anyone else tried Zentangles?? Now THAT is lovely paper.
    Make a Midori-style cover for whatever size/type notebook you prefer! I've been pretty pleased with my ghetto DIY version, which I sized for 3.5" x 5.5" notebooks. I like gridded and plain paper, so I'm using a Doane utility notebook + Banditapple Carnet Peewee (plain). I also didn't want to pay $$ for the premade Midori cover pockets so I bought some library card pockets ($.08) and stuck them to the notebook covers with adhesive. Overall it's been great for designing (grid), sketching (plain), and shopping (I keep lists for each area/store on index cards in the library card pockets). I live in Seattle so I treated the leather with hot beeswax/neatsfoot oil to stiffen and waterproof it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	537.2 KB
ID:	288722Click image for larger version

Name:	side_view.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	731.0 KB
ID:	288723

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    Forum Member

• backpack
    replied
    FYI: A5 Arc notebooks fit inside the Field Journal Notebook, just sayin...

Leave a comment:

• ceb
    Forum Member

• ceb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    Forum Member

• jannilee
    replied
    you people are nothing but a bad influence!! I recently purchased a Lamy AL star rollerball pen ( the metal version of the safari with a lovely triangular grip, flattened barrel and Smoooth delivery). I can't use a fountain pen because as a leftie I push rather than pull the pen.

Now I am coveting a Midori Travelers notebook although it may be too tall and slim. I looove nice paper and it would be great to have writing paper and a sketchbook in a neat package. I use Molekine for my travel journals at the moment but really prefer Clairfontaine. I hate lines, love grids but am happiest with plain paper that lets me write and sketch in the same book. Anyone else tried Zentangles?? Now THAT is lovely paper.

Leave a comment:

• lotuseater
    Forum Member

• lotuseater
    replied
    You cannot go wrong with the Safari, lightweight workhorse pen
    I finally figured out that my Safari came with the fine nib, which makes my chickenscratch less than legible, sometimes even to me. This afternoon I was shown how easy it is to replace the nibs. I bought both the medium and broad nibs, and am experimenting with the latter right now. It feels more natural. The best part was I didn't have to buy new pens - each nib cost me something like $13. Now to make sure I store the extras somewhere I don't lose them...

Leave a comment:

• lotuseater
    Forum Member

• lotuseater
    replied
    I've written about Leuchtturm1917 before - I find them incredibly thoughtfully made. The extra width (15mm or so) over Moleskine makes the large notebooks that much easier to write in. The dotted paper is the most versatile, but I really like how, if you buy the plain notebooks, they include a guide sheet that is lined on one side and a grid on the other. And the pen loop accessory is brilliant for those of us who want a way of affixing a pen to the notebook.

Eric, if you find the hard cover Leuchtturm1917s bulky, try one of the soft cover versions. Same quality construction, but easier to slide into a smaller space.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X