Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,530   Posts: 187,827   Members: 6,493   Active Members: 292
Welcome to our newest member, dcaisson.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Special Plug For Lära Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katiya
    replied
    I love Luna Bars especially vanilla macademia or the berry. I'm not much for sweets but those hit the spot in the morning when I don't care for a full breakfast. Usually I don't want to feel like I'm eating a pie or an overly sweet cinnamon roll or coffee as well.

Most bars are really odd tasting for me being a vegan so I always try the flavour a few times before making an investment. Once I find a winner I stick with it!

Leave a comment:

• scotlib
    replied
    I love the cherry pie Lara bar, too. I agree with Timothy; it is exactly the way I want a cherry pie to taste.

My hubby did not like it, but then he likes most everything sweeter than I do. (I enjoy eating red grapefruits like you would an orange.)

So far, cherry pie is my absolute favorite. Coconut Cream Pie wasn't too bad, I think. I may try it one more time to remind myself. Apple Pie and Ginger Snap were, eh, okay, but I will try a new flavor before I buy them again (just personal taste buds). Too much spice, for me, I think.

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    vs. "most cherry pies."

I stand by my claim

Most cherry pies -- commercial ones, that is -- are a) too sweet and b) too gelatinous.

I prefer mine to be quite runny, actually --- at least, that's the way I'd rather it stray, rather than too dry, or too goopy. Pie (actual pie, not delicious fruit bars) should be eaten, at least optionally, with a spoon. In fact, I think a great way to eat a slice of pie is as the topping on a nice bowl of coffee ice cream.

timothy

Leave a comment:

• keb
    replied
    Originally posted by timothy View Post
    The Cherry Pie one, though ... well, I just wish that more cherry pies actually tasted that good.

timothy
    Thats just crazy talk... But I did eat two of those on Sunday and they are pretty darn good...

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    I do the same thing for water-- carry my empty one-liter bottle through and fill it on the other side.

Leave a comment:

• bluedawg
    replied
    i've actually never had a larabar! i eat luna bars all the time, though, and i love them.

as for the water while traveling thing... i usually pack an empty sigg bottle, then fill it up once i'm through security.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    Do Larabars have any granola in?

Do any of you make your own trail mix as an alternative to bars?

How do you mitigate the thirst factor in those days of "no liquid allowed", huge lines at security, long trips to the gate and draconian boarding rules?
    i don't believe i have come across a larabar with granola.

i haven't made a trail mix, but i'd love a couple of good recipes.

the security requirements are unfortunate, but i guess you can enjoy your water until you go through security, then pick up a bottle of water when you feel thirsty again after you pass through security.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Do Larabars have any granola in?

Do any of you make your own trail mix as an alternative to bars?

How do you mitigate the thirst factor in those days of "no liquid allowed", huge lines at security, long trips to the gate and draconian boarding rules?

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    Aw, man, I didn't know General Foods bought Larabars! I live off these things when I go on trips. It's annoying that the new kids' treats aren't vegan-- I hope that doesn't mean they're going to start adding animal products to the original Larabars.

My favorite flavor is Peanut Butter Cookie-- delicious! Not crazy about the fruit flavors, which are much easier to find than the nut flavors around here.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Hi,

Originally posted by Just View Post
    Reviving this thread to ask: At $2/bar, they are a bit pricey.. has anyone tried making their own? http://bunnyfoot.blogspot.com/2006/0...type-bars.html

moriond: I just replenished my stock at the Vim & Vigor at Ala Moana! I think they had all the flavors! Haven't checked the Costco yet! Eep! Will have to stow away in a friend's car the next time they go!
    So I was coming to the forums to decide where to post a link to this blog post about someone who discovered Lärabars, and experimented with making her own, when I found this thread was revived. It's gotta be fate! The author did add a postscript and link to where she finally found Lärabars on sale in Paris -- one of the motivations for experimenting with her own recipe.

I didn't realize that General Foods had bought this company last summer. Also, they seem to have a new product line.

maverick, our local whole foods (opened last September) also carries these -- but they cost $1.69 each here.

moriond

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    take a look at greens+ bars. they offer energy bars and high protein bars. our local whole foods carries them. i just had one of their omega 3 chia bars with my lunch and it was very yummy!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    I overdid it with the Lara bars, and am now taking a vacation from them. I'm currently getting Clif bars at Costco - they're also really good, though I miss the peanut butter varieties (still MIA after the peanut butter scare.)

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    I have not tried (and am not really interested in) certain of their flavors, like Key Lime Pie, but the Cherry Pie is the greatest food bar I've ever had, and the Apple is not too far behind. The Cherry Pie one, though ... well, I just wish that more cherry pies actually tasted that good.

timothy

Leave a comment:

• eastercat
    replied
    I just discovered the amazing tastiness that is Lara bars. When I was shopping at the discount grocery store in Cleburne, TX, I found Lara bars for $0.69/bar. Since I was needing food bars for my upcoming trip to Europe, I bought all their stock: Chocolate Coffee, Apple Pie and Cocoa Mole.
    Wow . . . tasty and vegan. An amazing combination.

Esther

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by pretzelb View Post
    After seeing the images on this site I did buy a few Lara bars and I have to ask ... what is the appeal? I may have got a bad flavor (maybe Key Lime) but other than that nothing jumped out at me.
    I've never tried Key Lime but it wouldn't be my first flavor choice. Try Pistachio or Cashew Cookie.

moriond -- I hope you're not just teasing us about Hazelnut Praline!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X