Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,496   Posts: 187,472   Members: 6,456   Active Members: 328
Welcome to our newest member, Hungry.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    TreadLightGear - love their raw cut inca moccs

    Steger Mukluks - don't have any... YET! Soon though.

    Both in Minnesota.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Orangeboys View Post
      As long as we're here, I have a question about merino. On the "Tom Bihn of Clothing" thread, many folks mentioned Ibex and Icebreaker clothing. What about SmartWool? I love their socks, but have not tried their other clothing. What do you all think? Is there a reason it did not get mentioned in the Merino discussion?
      I have several Smartwool base- and mid-layer tops. I've had them for about 2 years now and they've worn pretty well, I think; they don't necessarily look brand new, but they've held up better than, say, cotton tops from Target that I also wear. I like that you can put them in the dryer without any shrinkage issues. I recently got a few Ibex tops from their online web specials; I like the material, but one shirt twisted when it dried -- not in the dryer; this was laid out flat. For me, Smartwool is a little easier to take care of because I can put them in the dryer, while Ibex stuff says not to, and I haven't had any twisting/shrinking from Smartwool, like I have with Ibex (I accidentally left a different Ibex shirt in the dryer and it shrunk a bit; I still wear it, but it's a little shorter than I like). I haven't tried out Icebreaker. I do think Ibex has a more flattering cut for their casual wear t-shirts (the relaxed and semi-form fit) than Smartwool, if they don't shrink/twist, for someone who doesn't have a super athletic body type, let's say. I would be interested in seeing how the Ibex woolies compare to Smartwool's baselayers.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Orangeboys View Post
        As long as we're here, I have a question about merino. On the "Tom Bihn of Clothing" thread, many folks mentioned Ibex and Icebreaker clothing. What about SmartWool? I love their socks, but have not tried their other clothing. What do you all think? Is there a reason it did not get mentioned in the Merino discussion?
        i do have a smartwool long sleeve baselayer shirt and long underwear that i sleep in when backpacking in the cold. i like them but can't really speak to how long they last since i've only worn them maybe 15 nights. i have not had good luck with smart wool socks. the five or six pairs of socks that i've had have all worn out pretty quickly.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Orangeboys View Post
          As long as we're here, I have a question about merino. On the "Tom Bihn of Clothing" thread, many folks mentioned Ibex and Icebreaker clothing. What about SmartWool? I love their socks, but have not tried their other clothing. What do you all think? Is there a reason it did not get mentioned in the Merino discussion?
          It may be an aesthetic issue. I'm not exactly saying that SmartWool is the mom jeans of the merino world, but I feel that in general, it's cut boxier than Ibex or Icebreaker. I don't own garments of any of the brands but when I've been checking them out and comparing them against each other, I've noticed that SmartWool base layers are a bit more see-through/loosely woven. I doubt this is an issue from a technical performance standpoint, but to me that makes the item less versatile because you have to wear something over it for sure.

          Comment


            Thank you all for your thoughts on the SmartWool stuff. It seems available in more variety in the stores around here, and I like being able to try things on.

            Comment


              Originally posted by casun View Post
              i have not had good luck with smart wool socks. the five or six pairs of socks that i've had have all worn out pretty quickly.
              I think Smartwool is slipping in the sock category. I have several pair from at least 10 years ago that are still going strong while the most recent ones seem to wear quickly at the heels and get holes in the toe seams. It's very disappointing. I'm trying out a pair of Goodhew socks now. It's too early to comment on longevity, but so far, so good. US-made and I found them in a small local outdoor shop.

              Comment


                Originally posted by binje View Post
                I think Smartwool is slipping in the sock category. I have several pair from at least 10 years ago that are still going strong while the most recent ones seem to wear quickly at the heels and get holes in the toe seams. It's very disappointing. I'm trying out a pair of Goodhew socks now. It's too early to comment on longevity, but so far, so good. US-made and I found them in a small local outdoor shop.
                Ah HA! My SmartWool socks are about 6 years old and still in good shape. I'll check out the Goodhew -- thank you!

                Comment


                  Darn Tough Socks are my favorite, @Orangeboys. Comfy, colorful and, well, darn tough!
                  "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
                  -- David Whyte

                  Comment


                    Nite Ize electronic accessories
                    Brooks Addiction walking shoes
                    Baggu nylon shopping bags - especially the Baby Baggus - never go shoptting without them....

                    and some small bag company from Seattle....can't quite remember the name....
                    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....
                    be nice - until it's time to not be nice.......what separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize...

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Dandelion View Post
                      TreadLightGear - love their raw cut inca moccs

                      Steger Mukluks - don't have any... YET! Soon though.

                      Both in Minnesota.
                      Those Steger mocs look amazing. Do... want... (and seriously, I wish I had a reason to wear mukluks, but I never will-- not in this darned part of the world!)

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by adalangdon View Post
                        Those Steger mocs look amazing. Do... want... (and seriously, I wish I had a reason to wear mukluks, but I never will-- not in this darned part of the world!)
                        Steger Moccs on fleabay

                        Steger sizing chart

                        Tread Light Gear will custom make the moccasins if you want. Just send in tracings of your feet.

                        Ok, enough enabling.

                        Comment


                          Made in the USA, functional, beautiful, reasonably-priced knife goodness. It's stuff I love, own and use.

                          Eye Candy: ML Knives – One of a kind custom hand forged knives | Past Work

                          Comment


                            American giant -- awesome hoodies and sweat pants. Seriously...I want to wear them all day.
                            Quoddy -- I have 4 pairs of there shoes....so comfortable, durable, and they will resolve them so they could last a lifetime.
                            Owner of: Steel/Ultraviolet Co-Pilot, Black/Iberian TriStar, Steel/Ultraviolet Aeronaut 45, Steel/Ultraviolet Parental Unit, Grey/Iberian Synapse 19

                            Comment


                              +1 on Quoddy mocs...I have two pair and would have more if I lived in a warmer climate so I could wear all year.
                              --------------------------------

                              Comment


                                Dansko clogs (great if you're on your feet all day) and Clark's Wallabees (incredibly comfy and durable). Neither is cheap, but both are built to last.

                                Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
                                "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X