Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,215   Members: 6,596   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, josha.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoStanford
    replied
    Thermapen cooking thermometer by Thermoworks. Mine has been going strong for about 7-8 years now. They come in great colors; mine is made in the UK, and I got it during a sale of first-quality items that had some sort of cosmetic issue with the box, or perhaps were a display model. The design has changed somewhat recently, but I expect it's still an outstanding kitchen digital thermometer.

Leave a comment:

• benh
    replied
    +1 for this. Malkoff makes really really high quality lights. Bright, durable, long lasting. I have several Malkoff Surefire drop-ins that are going on 7 years old and still going strong. Great customer service, and a small business worth supporting.

Originally posted by AVService View Post
    I guess I have not posted here before about Malkoff?

Malkoff Devices is an Alabama company that produces Flashlights and upgrade parts for them catering mainly to Law Enforcement and the crazy Flashlight Enthusiast community.
    It is run mostly by Gene Malkoff and his Wife and Family and despite or because of the small size they are an amazing resource for those looking for a great light.

The stock is often sold out and you might have to wait for one but they are great and almost without pier in the high quality light market and though they might seem pricey to those not in the hobby the lights are downright bargains when compared with others like them too.

The best though is the customer service which is really second to none,pretty much exactly like Bihn!

Leave a comment:

• Honey
    replied
    You should check out American-giant.com. Made in the USA. Lifetime warranty. I love their sweat pants and hoodies. The tees come in gorgeous colors. Recently ordered The Pant, and have to say they are great. Customer Service is excellent. Give them a look.

Leave a comment:

• BWeaves
    replied
    Falke merino wool/cotton tights. Thick and warm, but not itchy at all. Fully fashioned no seam toes and turned heels. Amazing waist band. These are the best fitting tights I've ever had and they feel like they'll wear like iron.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 01-11-2017, 06:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pott
    replied
    Clothes: Patagonia (discovered them a few months ago, and well, I have too much stuff from them).
    Guitars: MusicMan. Guitars are everything for me. My favorite guitars are custom-made (e.g. my Waghorn: Waghorn Guitars ~ Custom Acoustic, Electric & Bass Guitars) but production-wise, MusicMan just makes The Right Stuff for me: https://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars. I have 4 with another one inbound, and that's just because two were stolen... and 3 sold.

Leave a comment:

• investigator
    replied
    I finally thought of something to add to this thread: Black Rapid camera straps!!

Welcome - Black Rapid Inc

I've used a black rapid strap on my DSLR for years, and have also converted quite a few people. The strap is worn cross-body and screws in to your camera's tripod attachment. They used to make a women's specific version, but I think that's now just become their "curved" version. It makes a difference -- my boyfriend has a non-curved version and strongly prefers it, but I wouldn't trade my curved version for anything! The strap stays in place when you raise the camera to shoot, puts the weight of the camera cross-body instead of over your neck, and also provides a bit of protection safety-wise as it would be tough for someone to grab the camera off of you.

Leave a comment:

• mkeith12
    replied
    I love this Thread! So much good stuff here! A company that I've really grown to admire is Rivendell Bicycle Works. When my wife and I were preparing for our bike tour, despite not being able to afford a Rivendell bike, we visited their shop several times to pick up some of their clothing, accessories, etc. Much of what they make and sell is US manufactured. Much like TB, you can go to their site and just get lost in the descriptions added to each and every item. Each item that's offered online or in their store is intentional. I've read a few of the books published by the founder, Grant Peterson, and he has a practical sensibility that seems to mesh with the TB philosophy. Keep it simple, manufature stuff to last and carry what you need.

Leave a comment:

• Bijouxandbeads
    replied
    I just got a shawl from Stony Creek Colors, and absolutely love it. They only have a few colors as they dye their own fabric, but the wraps are made of modal and silk, and are generous at 45"x80". They also have scarves and natural dyes for sale, but I like the size of the shawls. Because the fabric is so soft, they drape and wrap really well. The Shibori indigo color and dye pattern is stunning. The direct link to their shopping site is Dye.farm sells clean, plant based dyes like Stony Creek Colors Indigo – Dye.Farm

Leave a comment:

• BWeaves
    replied
    I just bought some merino / cotton Falke ladies socks from HerRoom, and they are the best socks ever. They are on the thin side with smooth fine merino on the outside and cotton the inside. They stay up and fit my foot perfectly. They work as trouser socks and as boot socks. They have an invisible toe seam, so smooth, smooth, smooth. Some versions even come with left and right foot shaping. I'm ordering their merino tights as soon as I get home.

Boden leggings. They are very silky soft. Great waistband. They don't bag. And they wash very well.

Leave a comment:

• prairiegl
    replied
    We have several Yetis and it really is true what they say about those doing a great job of keeping the beverages cold or hot! We were given a couple Orcas earlier this year and they don't seem to insulate quite as well.

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Speaking of water bottles ... I've become a huge fan of Yeti. I've tried cheaper brands (like rtic and others) but nothing has the quality, look, feel, or efficacy of Yeti.

As for clothes, given winter is here, I'm wearing a lot of 66 North and Kuhl, both of which I really like; great quality, fit, and fabric. As for shoes and sandals, I pretty much wear Naot and Olukai both of which I find super durable and very comfy whether it's sandals or shoes.

When it comes to watches, I know everyone has an iWatch these days, but I prefer the old school automatic wind-ups. Specifically I'm building my collection of Swatch Sistem 51s which are an engineering marvel in their own right for anyone who's nerdy like me.

Leave a comment:

• sarah_atx
    replied
    Originally posted by K9TB View Post
    I just put this in a different post but decided to add it here since there's lots of dog friendly folks here. I get all my dogs' tags from Boomerang Tags. I think the web site looks a little amateurish, but the engraving on the tags does last.

Boomerang Pet Tags: Guaranteed to last. Mailed today, Free Shipping.
    I get my tags there too, especially like the CollarTags because they don't jingle!

Leave a comment:

• NWhikergal
    replied
    If it hasn't already been mentioned, I definitely recommend MiiR products, another Seattle based company, which sell water bottles and other products, and donates 5% of its revenues to clean water, education, and bicycle products. www.miir.com

I started with a vacuum insulated bottle, and I have since accrued a howler, camp cup, and recently a tumbler. Very well made products, and like using Tom Bihn shop bags at groceries, my local baristas often compliment my camp cup and tumbler when I (re)use them at the coffee shops.

Leave a comment:

• K9TB
    replied
    I just put this in a different post but decided to add it here since there's lots of dog friendly folks here. I get all my dogs' tags from Boomerang Tags. I think the web site looks a little amateurish, but the engraving on the tags does last.

Boomerang Pet Tags: Guaranteed to last. Mailed today, Free Shipping.

Leave a comment:

• AVService
    replied
    I guess I have not posted here before about Malkoff?

Malkoff Devices is an Alabama company that produces Flashlights and upgrade parts for them catering mainly to Law Enforcement and the crazy Flashlight Enthusiast community.
    It is run mostly by Gene Malkoff and his Wife and Family and despite or because of the small size they are an amazing resource for those looking for a great light.

The stock is often sold out and you might have to wait for one but they are great and almost without pier in the high quality light market and though they might seem pricey to those not in the hobby the lights are downright bargains when compared with others like them too.

The best though is the customer service which is really second to none,pretty much exactly like Bihn!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X