Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes to Aigle boots and Mountain Rose Herbs! I have Aigle Parcours ISO boots, which are lined with neoprene. They were really tricky to source within the US, and they cost a fair penny, but worth it worth it worth it because I bought them in time for the super snowy winter a few years ago. Traipsing around in slushy freezing streets was no longer an issue.

Mountain Rose Herbs is fabulous. I have so many herbs and teas and spices from them.

Comment

Originally posted by bltkmt View Post
      I don't want this thread to die a slow death as I think there is a lot of valuable info here. One other thing that I have found recently and love are Kuhl mens pants. I have a pair of the Free Rydrs, which are their "Klassik" fit and fit me great. Good quality pants and very comfortable.
      +2 on Kuhl men's pants. I just wore the Ryder for three days of busting through briars and swamp. I also have a lightweight pair... I think they are the Revolvr, that pack up really well and may be my most comfortable pair of pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Lani View Post
        - INKnBURN has a thriving ambassador program with several hundred members, who apply for these coveted spots. Ambassadors are active in social media, and post photos of themselves wearing INKnBURN gear, and also participate in running races wearing their gear. Ambassadors are appointed for a year at a time and get a bit of a discount on gear.
        Just wanted to post an update to announce that I've been chosen to be a member of their ambassador program for 2016!! So excited!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lani View Post
          Just wanted to post an update to announce that I've been chosen to be a member of their ambassador program for 2016!! So excited!!
          What an honor!

Comment

Originally posted by PM4HIRE View Post

LOVE! these people. I do not know why anyone would buy SmartWool instead. These socks never get thin spots and SmartWool do in months.

Comment

@Lani, I am so excited for you! Thanks to your recommendation, I received a pair of the InknBurn capris in the mail today, and I am completely in love with them. Thank you for all the great running gear tips - you will be a great ambassador !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
              "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by LordBute View Post
                My favourite brand at the moment is Woolpower. They make warm wool clothing. I have bought 200g and 400g ullfrotte vests, jackets and long-johns during the last year and I love them.
                Thanks for the tip! Because they're based in Sweden they seem to be available here too.

Here are some of my favourite brands for quality made in Germany/Europe (so probably not that interesting for most of you):

::: MEINDL ::: Shoes for Actives :::
                I have a pair of trekking shoes which I love and a pair of hiking boots.

VEITH Allgäuer Bergstrumpf: VEITH Socks
                I wear them not only for hiking but all through winter in my everyday boots.

EMIL - Die Flasche zum Anziehen | Homepage
                Got one again a while ago and love it because it reminds me of my childhood!

BIRKENSTOCK. Tradition since 1774.
                Yes, I know a lot of people hate them... But they make the most comfortable sandals (at least for my feet). Made in Germany and it takes them ages to wear down. And they're not as expensive here than elsewhere, I get a pair of sandals for 60€ that lasts five years.

Fashion stuff:

startpage - Trippen
                http://shop.volker-lang-accessoires....lang_id=en_GB&
                https://www.armorlux.com/en/
                http://www.johnstonscashmere.com/us/
                Last edited by b1gsky; 03-12-2016, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Cotopaxi gear is great, and every purchase gives to an associated charity.

Khunu is a new brand I'm testing out as a base layer. Yak wool is really something, and works great in the current climate of rain, snow, and sun.

Comment

Leuchtturn notebooks -- particularly their "Jottbooks". I use them for everything: journals, classes, ideas. They are well-made and not too expensive, and very compact for carrying around. A signature of all the Leuchtturn notebooks is that the pages are printed with numbers, and there is a space for a table of contents in the front. They lay flat. The paper is high-quality. And for those that care about such things, they are available as blank pages, dotted or lined. When I get to Berlin, one of my many missions is to pick up more Jottbooks, in colors that are not available in the U.S. (Specifically, taupe. Yes, I like to live dangerously.)
                    ----
                    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

+1 for leuchtturm notebooks! I use one for work (tasklists, meeting notes, brain dumps, etc). the page numbers / easy indexing are so helpful and make it so easy to go back and find exactly what I'm looking for. At one point, I tried replacing it with Microsoft onenote, but alas, the brain of your ol' pal here overwhelmingly prefers doing those things by hand.

Comment

my eco lips is another good one as consumables go! i have really sensitive skin (particularly lips), and discovered this a while back, which allows one to have custom made lip balms in any of two billion possible combinations of ingredients, flavor, color, consistency, etc. i had been on a nearly lifelong quest for the perfect lip balm that had a good consistency that didn't make my lips rash or swell up. my DIY concoctions weren't cutting it! since november, i've been using my most perfect holy grail peppermint lip balm. it's so silly, but i get such joy (and also relief from being all dried out) using it :x

i also really like eco lips' non-custom sun protection lip and face balms. bonus: they're sustainably made in iowa, not terribly far from here!

Comment

+1 again for the Leuchtturm notebooks! On the other side of the size spectrum, I just picked up the master size notebook, which is around 12.5" x 9". I got the slim version so only 120 pages (60 leaves). I'm experimenting with how to best use it as a dashboard and to track specific todos, in my new position where I'm tracking multiple project statuses and direct reports. It's a joy to write in, and my brain likes having lots of paper real estate on view at once.

Comment

About a year ago, I started collecting scarves from Block Shop Textiles. The company is run by two sisters from the United States who travel to India to work with skilled artists who make block-printed scarves by hand. I was lucky enough to meet the sisters at a recent craft fair in California. Their website and Instagram feed are full of beautiful photos. And the scarves are utilitarian, beautiful, one-of-a-kind products. Block Shop also sponsors some great projects in the town where the scarves are made, including health-related outreach projects.

Comment

Originally posted by GoStanford View Post
                              About a year ago, I started collecting scarves from Block Shop Textiles.
                              These are beautiful! I'm tempted, but I've always been hopeless at wearing scarves... I think I just don't know how to tie them or arrange them. Any advice?
                              Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                                These are beautiful! I'm tempted, but I've always been hopeless at wearing scarves... I think I just don't know how to tie them or arrange them. Any advice?
                                One of my favorites is a French Knot. But I also just love wearing it open or a simple neck wrap.

13 Super Stylish Ways to Tie a Scarf | Different Ways of Tying a Scarf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X