Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,368   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, LucaDebenh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    These are beautiful! I'm tempted, but I've always been hopeless at wearing scarves... I think I just don't know how to tie them or arrange them. Any advice?
    I'm not well-versed in the art of scarf tying either. I just draped them around my neck however it feels comfy, usually with the ends dangling, but lately I've also started tucking the ends under to create a big fluffy neck warmer when it's cold outside. I find the Instagram feed a good source of inspiration as they show lots of customers and the company leadership wearing the scarves in various ways.

I did see a book last year on 50 different ways to tie a scarf, but I figured there must be something online I can use instead!

Comment

Thanks, Pokilani and GoStanford... I think I'll give it a try! Worst case, if I'm just not a scarf person, I think it would beautiful wall hanging.
      Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokilani View Post
        One of my favorites is a French Knot. But I also just love wearing it open or a simple neck wrap.

13 Super Stylish Ways to Tie a Scarf | Different Ways of Tying a Scarf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        And now I know the name of what I do with scarves. Someone showed me that one and I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to branch out aside from just wrapping the durn thing around my neck and calling it a day.

Worse is that I've started knitting shawls obsessively and am so not a shawl person.

Comment

I've never been much into soaps and skin care, but these are amazing products and all that I use now. XO Soap Co. Handmade by a girl in Ocean Shores, WA. Her daughter is very chemically sensitive and she couldn't find anything on the market that didn't cause a rash and so started making her own. I don't particularly need hypoallergenic stuff, but these are so delicious that I don't like anything else. Scents for men and women. Vegan & organic.
          [2004] Brain Bag (w/Lg. A45 Packing Cube, Snake Charmer, Q-kit & 2 Brain cells)
          - [2010] Aeronaut45 (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray PCSB, Passport Pouch & 3D clear cube)
          - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/S.O.S. strap, Cache, Clear Org wallet, 3D mesh cube, whistle, Sm. COP's & Q-kit)
          - - - [2015] Tristar (traded for A30)
          - - - - [2016] ID, Aeronaut30 (w/Absolute & Lg. Aether cube), Side Effect
          ___________________________________________ "Be excellent to each other."

Comment

Hello... first post here... I am bag addict who has newly come to Tom Bihn (love my medium cafe bag & the accompanying mini bag gift, thank you Darcy!) & a scarf addict as well. This video is awesome for scarf wearing ideas & demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYAEz777AU
            Ok, back to lurking & hoping for a aubergine Aeronaut 30 color option.

Comment

Not from the US, but I just discovered these great mostly merino blend tights --Trasparenza Gennifer Tights --much nicer than my previous Smartwool ones--nice amount of Lycra so they keep their shape better. I think I will bring these instead of merino long underwear for an extra bottom layer on my next cool weather trip (more compact and dressier). Size up though, they run kind of small.
              A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

Comment

Originally posted by Pokilani View Post
                One of my favorites is a French Knot. But I also just love wearing it open or a simple neck wrap.

13 Super Stylish Ways to Tie a Scarf | Different Ways of Tying a Scarf

This is a wonderful site Pokilani, thank you so much.

Darcy, like you I was hopeless with scarves until I decided to use the classic pull through, just like French people do, but wear the v area lower than the way it is in the blog's picture.

It is very simple and you can make the loop, first, then put the scarf around your head and tighten or loosen the pull thru to change the look, it has changed the way I view scarves.

I have always collected them to use around the brim of my hats (winter hats, spring hat and wide brimmed summer hat)

My first wide brimmed sun hat was an expensive finely woven straw hat in black, so I needed color to brighten it up.
                It is now dark grey and still going strong but it is not packable, so 10 years ago, an expensive light pink cotton hat replaced it.
                I need the scarf to fight the wind.

I think the key to successful scarf management is to have a scarf that is long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by binje View Post
                  And now I know the name of what I do with scarves. Someone showed me that one and I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to branch out aside from just wrapping the durn thing around my neck and calling it a day.

Worse is that I've started knitting shawls obsessively and am so not a shawl person.
                  Gifting or selling them to women who will be enrolled in wedding duties: bridesmaids, mothers of the brides, guests and brides themselves could be a way to get more money to grow your yarn stash, unless, they have sentimental value for you.

I do hope that, this time of years, knitters who could use the extra income, are thinking of starting a thread in Ravelry.

The shawl would be a lovely heirloom for the bride and her nice , lightweight, reusable and useful memento for her guests, what's not to like?

Comment

Currently enjoying...

Floracopeia's Pinon-Juniper essential oil.

CORE meals Sunflower Carob Bars
                    1.4 ounces of almonds = 186 gallons of water to grow, 1.4 ounces of sunflower seeds = 39 gallons. Plus they're pretty tasty. Not so tasty you'll be tempted to eat them as a treat, but tasty enough that when you're hungry they taste pretty good.
                    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                      Currently enjoying...

Floracopeia's Pinon-Juniper essential oil.

CORE meals Sunflower Carob Bars
                      1.4 ounces of almonds = 186 gallons of water to grow, 1.4 ounces of sunflower seeds = 39 gallons. Plus they're pretty tasty. Not so tasty you'll be tempted to eat them as a treat, but tasty enough that when you're hungry they taste pretty good.
                      Thanks for the CORE meals link. It's great that they are an Oakland based, not-for-profit business committed to having positive social and environmental impacts.

Comment

As a self-confessed soap-a-holic, I am always on the lookout for all natural handmade soaps as I like to always have options on hand. It's the one thing I find it hard to be minimalistic about! Just ordered from a great company called Stone City Farm (also in Washington State). They sell handmade goats milk soap on their 14 acre farm from goats they raise themselves. There is a video on the website showing pics of the farm, the beautiful goats, which look loved and very well cared for by their family. My soap arrived with a handwritten thank you card from the owner and a free sample. The soaps smell great and the ingredients attest to the quality. It was very personal experience and I will be ordering again.
                        Last edited by MDF; 05-13-2016, 12:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Man oh man. Where do I begin?

In no particular order:
                          Knives - Chris Reeve Knives, made in Idaho, are some of the best production knives out there in my opinion. Not only that but they are elegant! Sebenza is the flagship model but also look at the gorgeous Mmnandi.

Pens: I swear by my Montblanc pens. Own several and they are my go to. Waterman makes a fine pen as well.

Outdoor wear: Arc'teryx makes some high quality jackets, fleeces and other outdoor items. Their warranty is incredible. Honestly, if you buy an item from them, you will likely not have to replace it in a very long time. Patagonia is right up there with them as well.

Hiking shoes and boots: Salomons are incredibly comfortable for trail use. I own a couple of goretex boots that perform beautifully. On the other end of the spectrum, Redwing boots are incredibly well made and stunning.

Backpacks: I love my TB but I wouldn't use them for hiking or backpacking. For that genre, the acclaim should go to Hill People Gear. I own three of their backpacks for different applications - day hikes (alone), day hikes (with another person or two) and backpacking trips of a night or more. In order, these bags are the Tarahumara, the Umlindi and the Ute.

I'll add on to this list as I can think of other things.

Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Comment

Soft Star Shoes are BAE for me in the footwear department. They don't have much support, structure or variety in style but they are handmade in 'Merica and feel like you're not wearing shoes.

Ibex merino wool products are also a favorite of mine. Again made in 'Merica, versatile and overall a great product.

Comment

What is BAE?

Also curious, why the spelling 'Merica?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirri View Post
                                What is BAE?

Also curious, why the spelling 'Merica?
                                Salutations!

BAE is an acronym/slang for "Before Anyone Else." Used(mostly?) by young people when refering to their significant other. Drop the 'A' from "America" and you somehow add more old-fashioned, smalltown patriotism. I think an element if humour is involved. I would just refer to my home state when asked where I'm from😊

Peace!

Comment

Working...
                                X