Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,824   Posts: 191,291   Members: 6,694   Active Members: 260
Welcome to our newest member, willydgil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by binje View Post
    And now I know the name of what I do with scarves. Someone showed me that one and I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to branch out aside from just wrapping the durn thing around my neck and calling it a day.

Worse is that I've started knitting shawls obsessively and am so not a shawl person.
    Gifting or selling them to women who will be enrolled in wedding duties: bridesmaids, mothers of the brides, guests and brides themselves could be a way to get more money to grow your yarn stash, unless, they have sentimental value for you.

I do hope that, this time of years, knitters who could use the extra income, are thinking of starting a thread in Ravelry.

The shawl would be a lovely heirloom for the bride and her nice , lightweight, reusable and useful memento for her guests, what's not to like?

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by Pokilani View Post
    One of my favorites is a French Knot. But I also just love wearing it open or a simple neck wrap.

13 Super Stylish Ways to Tie a Scarf | Different Ways of Tying a Scarf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is a wonderful site Pokilani, thank you so much.

Darcy, like you I was hopeless with scarves until I decided to use the classic pull through, just like French people do, but wear the v area lower than the way it is in the blog's picture.

It is very simple and you can make the loop, first, then put the scarf around your head and tighten or loosen the pull thru to change the look, it has changed the way I view scarves.

I have always collected them to use around the brim of my hats (winter hats, spring hat and wide brimmed summer hat)

My first wide brimmed sun hat was an expensive finely woven straw hat in black, so I needed color to brighten it up.
    It is now dark grey and still going strong but it is not packable, so 10 years ago, an expensive light pink cotton hat replaced it.
    I need the scarf to fight the wind.

I think the key to successful scarf management is to have a scarf that is long enough.

Leave a comment:

• trailrunner
    replied
    Not from the US, but I just discovered these great mostly merino blend tights --Trasparenza Gennifer Tights --much nicer than my previous Smartwool ones--nice amount of Lycra so they keep their shape better. I think I will bring these instead of merino long underwear for an extra bottom layer on my next cool weather trip (more compact and dressier). Size up though, they run kind of small.

Leave a comment:

• svea
    replied
    Hello... first post here... I am bag addict who has newly come to Tom Bihn (love my medium cafe bag & the accompanying mini bag gift, thank you Darcy!) & a scarf addict as well. This video is awesome for scarf wearing ideas & demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYAEz777AU
    Ok, back to lurking & hoping for a aubergine Aeronaut 30 color option.

Leave a comment:

• dnarud13
    replied
    I've never been much into soaps and skin care, but these are amazing products and all that I use now. XO Soap Co. Handmade by a girl in Ocean Shores, WA. Her daughter is very chemically sensitive and she couldn't find anything on the market that didn't cause a rash and so started making her own. I don't particularly need hypoallergenic stuff, but these are so delicious that I don't like anything else. Scents for men and women. Vegan & organic.

Leave a comment:

• binje
    replied
    Originally posted by Pokilani View Post
    One of my favorites is a French Knot. But I also just love wearing it open or a simple neck wrap.

And now I know the name of what I do with scarves. Someone showed me that one and I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to branch out aside from just wrapping the durn thing around my neck and calling it a day.

Worse is that I've started knitting shawls obsessively and am so not a shawl person.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Thanks, Pokilani and GoStanford... I think I'll give it a try! Worst case, if I'm just not a scarf person, I think it would beautiful wall hanging.

Leave a comment:

• GoStanford
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    These are beautiful! I'm tempted, but I've always been hopeless at wearing scarves... I think I just don't know how to tie them or arrange them. Any advice?
    I'm not well-versed in the art of scarf tying either. I just draped them around my neck however it feels comfy, usually with the ends dangling, but lately I've also started tucking the ends under to create a big fluffy neck warmer when it's cold outside. I find the Instagram feed a good source of inspiration as they show lots of customers and the company leadership wearing the scarves in various ways.

I did see a book last year on 50 different ways to tie a scarf, but I figured there must be something online I can use instead!

Leave a comment:

• Pokilani
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    These are beautiful! I'm tempted, but I've always been hopeless at wearing scarves... I think I just don't know how to tie them or arrange them. Any advice?

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by GoStanford View Post
    About a year ago, I started collecting scarves from Block Shop Textiles.

Leave a comment:

• GoStanford
    replied
    About a year ago, I started collecting scarves from Block Shop Textiles. The company is run by two sisters from the United States who travel to India to work with skilled artists who make block-printed scarves by hand. I was lucky enough to meet the sisters at a recent craft fair in California. Their website and Instagram feed are full of beautiful photos. And the scarves are utilitarian, beautiful, one-of-a-kind products. Block Shop also sponsors some great projects in the town where the scarves are made, including health-related outreach projects.

Leave a comment:

• habanero
    replied
    +1 again for the Leuchtturm notebooks! On the other side of the size spectrum, I just picked up the master size notebook, which is around 12.5" x 9". I got the slim version so only 120 pages (60 leaves). I'm experimenting with how to best use it as a dashboard and to track specific todos, in my new position where I'm tracking multiple project statuses and direct reports. It's a joy to write in, and my brain likes having lots of paper real estate on view at once.

Leave a comment:

• capncat
    replied
    my eco lips is another good one as consumables go! i have really sensitive skin (particularly lips), and discovered this a while back, which allows one to have custom made lip balms in any of two billion possible combinations of ingredients, flavor, color, consistency, etc. i had been on a nearly lifelong quest for the perfect lip balm that had a good consistency that didn't make my lips rash or swell up. my DIY concoctions weren't cutting it! since november, i've been using my most perfect holy grail peppermint lip balm. it's so silly, but i get such joy (and also relief from being all dried out) using it :x

i also really like eco lips' non-custom sun protection lip and face balms. bonus: they're sustainably made in iowa, not terribly far from here!

Leave a comment:

• capncat
    replied
    +1 for leuchtturm notebooks! I use one for work (tasklists, meeting notes, brain dumps, etc). the page numbers / easy indexing are so helpful and make it so easy to go back and find exactly what I'm looking for. At one point, I tried replacing it with Microsoft onenote, but alas, the brain of your ol' pal here overwhelmingly prefers doing those things by hand.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    Leuchtturn notebooks -- particularly their "Jottbooks". I use them for everything: journals, classes, ideas. They are well-made and not too expensive, and very compact for carrying around. A signature of all the Leuchtturn notebooks is that the pages are printed with numbers, and there is a space for a table of contents in the front. They lay flat. The paper is high-quality. And for those that care about such things, they are available as blank pages, dotted or lined. When I get to Berlin, one of my many missions is to pick up more Jottbooks, in colors that are not available in the U.S. (Specifically, taupe. Yes, I like to live dangerously.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X