Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,500   Posts: 187,515   Members: 6,459   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, jammyjam.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Yay! Glad to see activity on this thread. Here's two brands I've appreciated as of late:

Aigle Boots
    I first learned about Aigle here on the Forums! Aigle boots are hand made in France; here's a video about the process. I get cold toes and had been looking at these boots longingly for a while. Then, on President's Day weekend, a coupon from Aigle arrived and I couldn't pass them up! I've pretty much been wearing the boots ever since. I think they'll be a good investment: they seem well-made and I get the sense they'll last me many years.

Evan Healy
    Natural and simple skin care products made with ethically sourced ingredients.
    Evan Healy is amazing and local to me!

Comment

Shoes: Carmina or Santoni

Watches: Jaeger-LeCoultre or F.P. Journe

Travelwear: Costco...beat that warranty!

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
        Krebs Recycle dog leashes

Best dog leashes in the whole world, plus they up-cycle small pieces of our 500 denier Cordura. Read more here.
        I love these leashes. I thought they were sold on this site at one point?
        --------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bltkmt View Post
          I love these leashes. I thought they were sold on this site at one point?
          They were... I bought one from TB years ago. Sadly, my 6 month old puppy chewed the handle completely off last week. She had me so fooled - I thought she was just lying down in the back of the car being good. Not so much. The joke is on her though, because now she's stuck with the shorter, no pull leash (which is also a very good leash).

Comment

Krebs Recycle leashes are available at Amazon.com

Comment

I love Columbia and Pacsafe too. I own lots of pants and shirts from Columbia, and 2 shirts started fading the 1st month I purchased them, but I dealt with, and many months later (within 1 year), I contacted them and they sent me a $95.00 credit. Even though the shirts cost less than that. So, their customer service was outstanding.

My personal items are Pacsafe purses and Scottevests. Wouldn't be without them.
              Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
                MUST NOT READ THIS TREAD - MUST NOT READ THIS TREAD - MUST NOT READ THIS THREAD

Over and out...

It's dangerous. I've already gone to several websites recommended and bought stuff.

Comment

+1 for Soft Stars

Soft Star Shoes - Less Shoe, More You

--my kids have enjoyed them for years, and they love that the "elves" make them.
                  Last edited by barefoot; 08-18-2016, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                    +1 for Soft Stars

Soft Star Shoes - Less Shoe, More You

--my kids have enjoyed them for years, and they love that the "elves" make them.
                    SoftStar shoes was one of the first quality minimalist shoe companies there was way back in 2011 when I started to run minimalist/barefoot. They make really great shoes, when they are ON. However, since they are "handmade" it can be hit or miss in terms of consistency. I have worn the Run Amoks shoes for years, and the first pair I got was awesome. Then the second pair the pieces of front and rear of shoes were wildly different from my first pair. like we're not talking millimeters; it was like an inch in difference in the pieces, making the shoes look and fit differently. Replacement pair 3 worked. Then a year or so later when I had worn those out, i tried to order again. Sewn wrong. Replacement, also sewn wrong. Finally gave up in frustration. YMMV

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Harkila outdoor wear. It's expensive but comfortable, well fitting and ABSOLUTELY bomb proof!

Comment

I've been very happy with my Jade yoga mat. Many fun colors from which to choose and Made in USA!

I bought a vase made by Carl Sheehan as a souvenir while on vacation in Yellowstone last year and a friend of mine recently admired it/liked it so much that he did some searching and discovered that one can buy Sheehan's pottery online as well, which is pretty cool: I might get a couple more pieces as gifts this holiday season.

And I won't really offer a true recommendation until next spring, but I ordered some phacelia sericea seeds from Seeds Trust which I'm very excited about (yes, these are the kinds of things that I find exciting!)

Future purchase, perhaps next summer: custom Made in USA Chaco's to replace my current pair that have frayed webbing and totally worn tread (I hike June - September mostly in my Chaco's). I can't decide which colors to get!
                        Last edited by Darcy; 09-28-2016, 03:36 PM.
                        Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Someone mentioned the Equinox Monarch in a different thread. To that person: thanks! I decided to try a Mega Monarch as a camp kitchen organizer, and, while I wouldn't mind a thicker fabric for this purpose, my initial impression was positive — everything fit exactly how I imagined it.

Comment

Originally posted by craftyredhead View Post
                            SoftStar shoes was one of the first quality minimalist shoe companies there was way back in 2011 when I started to run minimalist/barefoot. They make really great shoes, when they are ON. However, since they are "handmade" it can be hit or miss in terms of consistency. I have worn the Run Amoks shoes for years, and the first pair I got was awesome. Then the second pair the pieces of front and rear of shoes were wildly different from my first pair. like we're not talking millimeters; it was like an inch in difference in the pieces, making the shoes look and fit differently. Replacement pair 3 worked. Then a year or so later when I had worn those out, i tried to order again. Sewn wrong. Replacement, also sewn wrong. Finally gave up in frustration. YMMV
                            Sadly, another complaint about SSS here. I was thrilled to wear my black ballerines for 2.5 weeks; the sole is the most comfortable barefoot sole I've worn so far. But after so short a time, the sole at the toe area is separating from the rest of the shoe on one foot and I've only worn these shoes to the office and court. Guess it's back to Dr Martens or Grinders for me. They're comfortable and haven't failed me for the past 4 years.

Comment

Another option for foldable ballerina flats

I've been very happy with a pair of Cocorose ballerina flats, like these, except olive green. I've had them a few months and they are wearing well.
                              A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Comment

Working...
                              X