Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,503   Posts: 187,566   Members: 6,463   Active Members: 324
Welcome to our newest member, chrisjonty.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacsafe purses! LOVE them.

I got my first one (messenger bag style) for travel and thought the layout / configuration was so brilliant that it instantly became my everyday bag--until the swivel part broke on one of the metal bits on the shoulder strap. It still works, it clips on to the bag, it just doesn't un-kink itself like before. I have held on that first bag in the perhaps unrealistic hope that someone (luggage repair? sailboat supplier?) might be able to fix that bit.

I have the giant (GIANT. Only use for travel) hobo bag now, but I don't like the current configuration quite as much. On the old one the big interior pocket zips and on the newer ones it just has a snap.

I don't find the added weight of the metal an issue at all, and I don't even think of the security aspect until I find myself in a dodgy situation and I'm glad it's there.

Comment

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

So glad to have seen this thread. I jumped back to the beginning to see if others had already added my brands, and see the thread was started in 2007. Cool.

Being UK based, but a lucky global traveler, here are my top quality brands.

Travel Clothes - Rohan. If Tom Bihn made travel clothes.... they would be Rohan

Wallets - Bellroy (Their passport wallet is great) Passport Sleeve - Slim Leather Wallets by Bellroy

Audio - I love FiiO hi-def music players and portable amplifiers Fiio-Born for Music and Happy. And RHA headphones (from Scotland, yeah!) make a great companion. RHA Headphones

Bikes - Brompton folding bikes. Don't have one but totally wish I did. Brompton Bikes

Cooking - my Kitchenaid mixer was so expensive but worth every penny. Official KitchenAid Site | Premium Kitchen Appliances

What a cool thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Perseffect; 10-06-2016, 02:49 PM.
      Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Perseffect View Post

Travel Clothes - Rohan. If Tom Bihn made travel clothes.... they would be Rohan

Wallets - Bellroy (Their passport wallet is great) Passport Sleeve - Slim Leather Wallets by Bellroy

I can definitely get behind these two. I only have three Rohan Element-T shirts, but I love them. Initially bought for a late summer trip to Italy, but wear them everywhere now. So light and comfortable. As far as Bellroy is concerned, I carry the Microsleeve daily now and have carried the Card Pocket previously (I like small wallets). Good choices!
        --------------------------------

Comment

Rohan again....most of my wardrobe - day to day and any other time is 3 quarters Rohan.
          Packs small, light and doesn't need ironing. Anything merino as well, luckily Rohan seems to be expanding on their Merino way for women..
          Jaffa
          S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Comment

Walz Caps are one of my favorites as well. They are cycling style caps in a cotton, wool or technical fabric (think athletic clothes). They are well made, pack small, fit well and have a distinct style (IMHO).

Comment

I guess I have not posted here before about Malkoff?

Malkoff Devices is an Alabama company that produces Flashlights and upgrade parts for them catering mainly to Law Enforcement and the crazy Flashlight Enthusiast community.
              It is run mostly by Gene Malkoff and his Wife and Family and despite or because of the small size they are an amazing resource for those looking for a great light.

The stock is often sold out and you might have to wait for one but they are great and almost without pier in the high quality light market and though they might seem pricey to those not in the hobby the lights are downright bargains when compared with others like them too.

The best though is the customer service which is really second to none,pretty much exactly like Bihn!

Comment

I just put this in a different post but decided to add it here since there's lots of dog friendly folks here. I get all my dogs' tags from Boomerang Tags. I think the web site looks a little amateurish, but the engraving on the tags does last.

Boomerang Pet Tags: Guaranteed to last. Mailed today, Free Shipping.
                What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Comment

If it hasn't already been mentioned, I definitely recommend MiiR products, another Seattle based company, which sell water bottles and other products, and donates 5% of its revenues to clean water, education, and bicycle products. www.miir.com

I started with a vacuum insulated bottle, and I have since accrued a howler, camp cup, and recently a tumbler. Very well made products, and like using Tom Bihn shop bags at groceries, my local baristas often compliment my camp cup and tumbler when I (re)use them at the coffee shops.
                  "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                  "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by K9TB View Post
                    I just put this in a different post but decided to add it here since there's lots of dog friendly folks here. I get all my dogs' tags from Boomerang Tags. I think the web site looks a little amateurish, but the engraving on the tags does last.

Boomerang Pet Tags: Guaranteed to last. Mailed today, Free Shipping.
                    I get my tags there too, especially like the CollarTags because they don't jingle!

Comment

Speaking of water bottles ... I've become a huge fan of Yeti. I've tried cheaper brands (like rtic and others) but nothing has the quality, look, feel, or efficacy of Yeti.

As for clothes, given winter is here, I'm wearing a lot of 66 North and Kuhl, both of which I really like; great quality, fit, and fabric. As for shoes and sandals, I pretty much wear Naot and Olukai both of which I find super durable and very comfy whether it's sandals or shoes.

When it comes to watches, I know everyone has an iWatch these days, but I prefer the old school automatic wind-ups. Specifically I'm building my collection of Swatch Sistem 51s which are an engineering marvel in their own right for anyone who's nerdy like me.
                      Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

We have several Yetis and it really is true what they say about those doing a great job of keeping the beverages cold or hot! We were given a couple Orcas earlier this year and they don't seem to insulate quite as well.

Comment

I just bought some merino / cotton Falke ladies socks from HerRoom, and they are the best socks ever. They are on the thin side with smooth fine merino on the outside and cotton the inside. They stay up and fit my foot perfectly. They work as trouser socks and as boot socks. They have an invisible toe seam, so smooth, smooth, smooth. Some versions even come with left and right foot shaping. I'm ordering their merino tights as soon as I get home.

Boden leggings. They are very silky soft. Great waistband. They don't bag. And they wash very well.

Comment

I just got a shawl from Stony Creek Colors, and absolutely love it. They only have a few colors as they dye their own fabric, but the wraps are made of modal and silk, and are generous at 45"x80". They also have scarves and natural dyes for sale, but I like the size of the shawls. Because the fabric is so soft, they drape and wrap really well. The Shibori indigo color and dye pattern is stunning. The direct link to their shopping site is Dye.farm sells clean, plant based dyes like Stony Creek Colors Indigo – Dye.Farm

Comment

I love this Thread! So much good stuff here! A company that I've really grown to admire is Rivendell Bicycle Works. When my wife and I were preparing for our bike tour, despite not being able to afford a Rivendell bike, we visited their shop several times to pick up some of their clothing, accessories, etc. Much of what they make and sell is US manufactured. Much like TB, you can go to their site and just get lost in the descriptions added to each and every item. Each item that's offered online or in their store is intentional. I've read a few of the books published by the founder, Grant Peterson, and he has a practical sensibility that seems to mesh with the TB philosophy. Keep it simple, manufature stuff to last and carry what you need.
                              Carry what you need.

Comment

I finally thought of something to add to this thread: Black Rapid camera straps!!

Welcome - Black Rapid Inc

I've used a black rapid strap on my DSLR for years, and have also converted quite a few people. The strap is worn cross-body and screws in to your camera's tripod attachment. They used to make a women's specific version, but I think that's now just become their "curved" version. It makes a difference -- my boyfriend has a non-curved version and strongly prefers it, but I wouldn't trade my curved version for anything! The strap stays in place when you raise the camera to shoot, puts the weight of the camera cross-body instead of over your neck, and also provides a bit of protection safety-wise as it would be tough for someone to grab the camera off of you.

Comment

Working...
                                X