Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,503   Posts: 187,566   Members: 6,463   Active Members: 324
Welcome to our newest member, chrisjonty.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some shoes that I really like are made by a New Zealand company called Allbirds, made from merino wool and called 'wool runners'. I think they might market them as sneakers, but I just use them for walking around the city, and for travelling, so comfortable, and very lightweight.

Comment

My random list, many of which have been listed already in this awesome thread.

Morino Wool: IceBreaker
      Socks: Darn Tough
      Fleece: Patagonia
      Travel Bags: Tom Bihn [emoji3]
      Backpacks(For serious hiking / backpacking). : Osprey
      Knives (EDC): SAK or Benchmade
      Knives (Bushcraft): Mora
      Knives ((kitchen): Victorinox
      Cooler: Yeti
      Water Bottles: Klean Kanteen
      Flashlights: Fenix
      Laptop: Apple MacBookPro
      Headphones(noise canceling): Bose QC20i
      Smartphone: Apple iPhone
      Headlamp: Black Diamond ReVolt
      Cameras: Nikon
      Powertools: Festool
      Axe: Gransfors Bruks

Big thank you to all the other contributors. I've found several new manufactures to drool over in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Not too big of a list but I'll give it a try.

Chester Mox - high quality leather goods made in the USA. Have had one of their front pocket wallets for years and love it, has aged beautifully.
        Tom Bihn, of course
        Cedar Pointe Pencils - Made in the USA and NJ, in fact. Awesome pencils.
        Field Notes - Essential EDC notebooks. Durable enough to be thrown in a back pocket and used for a while or until they're full. I've got a subscription and use these everyday.
        GIR Spatula - Works perfectly, easy to clean, one of my favorite spatulas.
        Nations Photo Lab - my go-to for scanning old digital photos and printing new ones. Many options and very high quality prints out of MN.
        Thinket - Awesome little fidget made in the USA.
        Thinking Putty - Remember Silly Putty? This is even better. Awesome toy, great for a fidget, and also made in the USA.
        Jack Donnelly - Currently out of stock but otherwise awesome and well made pants out of the USA.
        Pact - Extremely comfortable and well made undergarments and casual wear.
        Dudek Modern Goods - Gorgeous and hand made pen holders, out of the USA.

That is all for now though I'm sure that I am missing a few. Will update later once I think of them.

Comment

Men's Clothing
          - Outlier
          - Wool & Prince
          - Thunderbolt Sportswear

Also, I love Fisher Space Pens. Great for travel, perform well in pressurized cabins.
          For shoes, I love my black AllBirds.
          For ultralight stuff, I like Hyperlite Mountain Gear.
          Last edited by luthercale; 03-06-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

My Fisher Space Pen is a slippery little thing. Looks like a silver bullet. BUT . . . It's not tall enough to poke out the top of a pen slot, which makes it hard to get out of the pen slot. It doesn't have a clippy thing, so if the pen slot is bottomless, it falls through. And it's completely tubular. If I set it down, it immediately rolls away. I do love the pen, but I wish it was longer, had some flat sides and a clippy thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
              My Fisher Space Pen is a slippery little thing. Looks like a silver bullet. BUT . . . It's not tall enough to poke out the top of a pen slot, which makes it hard to get out of the pen slot. It doesn't have a clippy thing, so if the pen slot is bottomless, it falls through. And it's completely tubular. If I set it down, it immediately rolls away. I do love the pen, but I wish it was longer, had some flat sides and a clippy thing.
              I have one I bought at NASM. it's full length, has a clicky top to make the nip go in/out, has a clip (with a little space shuttle on it), and because of the clip doesn't roll around. Was only $12.

Comment

Mobile Phones, TV'S, Home Theaters - Sony
                Speakers - Boss
                Footwear - Puma, Nike, Adidas

Comment

Yes, they actually make a version with a clip attached. I switched to that version for the reasons you mentioned.

There is a also a trekker version which is good for attaching to O rings and other connection points.

Comment

Kevin Kelly is one of the guys associated with the old Whole Earth Catalog, among other projects.

Comment

@BWeaves and others,

Yes, they do make versions with a clip -- BUT, I have the matte black Bullet version (from Field Notes). And I should say that the slim style and small size when used posted fits my (small) hand very well. The place where I carry this pen is in the halcyon pocket in the main compartment of the Side Effect. The bullet ends of the Fisher Space Pen let it lie flat in the bottom of one of the Halcyon pockets, but keep it from falling out, while making it easy to remove without using a pouch or requiring pen slots. Works for me. YMMV. And, of course, there are no leaks.

moriond

Comment

Such an awesome thread! So much have been added to my I-WANT list.

One thing that I do love that I dont think is mentioned is my bunker-ring for my iPhone/mini iPad. It is so very convenient. It's a ring that attaches to the back (it can be removed) that svivels and helps you hold the phone more securely, and since I got it I have not dropped my phone once. (This used to be a rather expensive habit of mine). It also doubles as a stand and comes with a hook attachment to hang on the wall/car. (I've found that since I dont have the ring centered that's not so useful). Also - I know it's a silly problem, but with the iPhone 6s I found it hard to text one handed - the shift, q, w, a and s keys were to far away to reach with my thumb when holding the phone securely. With this ring I can easily reach them. I know I'm gushing - but I've seldom been so happy with an impulse-1am-amazon-buy. (they color on them do wear out but I've happily bought replacements). I'll attach a picture from amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bunker ring.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	301214

Comment

Originally posted by K9TB View Post
                          I just put this in a different post but decided to add it here since there's lots of dog friendly folks here. I get all my dogs' tags from Boomerang Tags. I think the web site looks a little amateurish, but the engraving on the tags does last.

Boomerang Pet Tags: Guaranteed to last. Mailed today, Free Shipping.

Oh, I can totally second Boomerang Tags. I've been using them for years. The tags that slip over the collar are great - never worry about losing it and they don't jingle!

Also, on another semi-dog related note, if I haven't mentioned it before I'll add my Kirby vacuum cleaner. Made in the USA this thing is going to outlast me. I'm not crazy about the sales method (you get to hone your bargaining skills), but the vacuum is a beast, and we have four large dogs.

And, (not dog related, well - they get to pre-wash! ), although it seems to be French-made, I put in a vote for Corningware Pyroceram. Yep, the ones with the blue cornflowers. Love it more than my cast iron. Literally outlives family members.
                          “Order and simplification are the first steps towards mastery of a subject” ― Thomas Mann

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                            @BWeaves and others,

Yes, they do make versions with a clip -- BUT, I have the matte black Bullet version (from Field Notes). And I should say that the slim style and small size when used posted fits my (small) hand very well. The place where I carry this pen is in the halcyon pocket in the main compartment of the Side Effect. The bullet ends of the Fisher Space Pen let it lie flat in the bottom of one of the Halcyon pockets, but keep it from falling out, while making it easy to remove without using a pouch or requiring pen slots. Works for me. YMMV. And, of course, there are no leaks.

moriond
                            I have the silver version. I was afraid the matte black one would disappear as I need to see bright things in the bottom of my bag. I love the feel of the silver one. It's just so darn slippery.

Comment

Inspired by a few other posts here...

Camera related: Domke waxed canvas bags and Peak Design straps

EDC:
                              Pens: TWSBI for every day, and Visconti for nicer pens. I really like J. Herbin and Waterman inks. They're very well behaved. I have tons of others but those more frequently bleed and feather on cheap papers.
                              Hydro Flask water bottles - Hate the Yeti hype, especially since they've been equaled or bested by cups costing 1/5 as much in so many tests now and their coolers have been beaten by WalMart Igloo coolers. UGH to Yeti!
                              Another vote for Bellroy wallets
                              Fenix flashlights
                              Pocket Knives: Openel and SOG
                              OrbitKey

Ecco shoes - probably own 6 pair now

High end audio: Anthem , GoldenEar, and Schiit Audio. Emphasis on quality over audio "jewelry"

Comment

"Badger" brand natural and organic body/ skin care products. I especially like their sunscreens...they have very limited ingredients (like 5 ingredients for their unscented sunscreen), coral reef safe, non-nano zinc oxide, and baby safe. Their bug repellant is great too (no nasty chemicals in it). They are also known for their balms. They make all kinds of other stuff too for your face and body. It is all made in New Hampshire by a small family owned business. Oh and NO animal testing!

Object moved

Comment

Working...
                                X