Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,524   Posts: 187,777   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 303
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meltzermt View Post
    I have wide feet as well and recently stumbled upon Hoka One One shoes.
    I LOVE my Hokas! I've also tried Altras, OnClouds, and some others but the Hokas are my favorite. I got my wife into them too

Comment

I have recently found Altra for my wide feet. Even the not wide sizes seem to work ok with light or no cushion socks, thanks to their natural foot shape for the toe box. Been doing some neighborhood walks and going to a couple sporting events (standing the whole time) in the Lone Peak 5 and Escalante (4? Whatever the current model). They’re very light and very comfortable for my wide toed feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
        Some favorites of mine that I don't think I've seen yet:
        • URESHII DESIGN - I first heard about this two-woman Canadian company here on the forums. I've bought a bunch of made-to-measure merino clothing from them since then, and it has all been 100% beautiful and perfect....
        After seeing the plug for Ureshii here on the forums, they are now a favorite shirt company for me. I'm a really large guy (6'4", almost 400 lbs post-pandemic...so about a 4XLT or 5XLT) and was wanting simple T-shirts in Merino or a mix that would fit me. So I wrote and asked if they would do a simple shirt for a guy (their website caters to women). I finally ordered from this this spring. They had me either measure myself, or simply take measurements from another shirt. I ordered a black pure merino, and a gray stretch merino. So far, the performance of the two fabrics have been similar. The fit and finish is first rate. I can wear several days in a row without them starting to smell badly. [Edit--I have yet to wash them them due smell, but rather, because of a spill.] I've washed them several times--I put them in a net bag along with my other clothes, and use a gentle detergent for the load. The net bag keeps wear and tear to a minimum, and the shirt is easy to intercept so I can lay it out to dry rather than putting it in the dryer.

I've gotten many ideas from the forums that have been very helpful, but this has been one of the best.

--Jim
        Last edited by Jimbo3b; 06-22-2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Merino Wool: Ice Breaker/Smartwool/Stoic
          Fountain Pens Under 10: Platinum Preppy
          Fountain Pens Under 25: Pilot Metropolitan
          Fountain Pens Under 50: Lamy Al-Star
          Fountain Pens Under 150: Lamy 2000 or Sailor 1911
          Socks: Kirkland Brand @Costco 85% Merino Wool or Smartwool or Darn Tough
          Fleece: Outdoor Research but your are really buying fabric -POLARTEC
          Travel Bags: Tom Bihn
          Packing Cube (Non Tom Bihn) Eagle Creek or eBags
          Roller Bag: Travel Pro
          Backpacks(For serious hiking / backpacking) : Osprey or Dueter
          Knives (EDC): Spyderco
          Knives (Bushcraft): Esse
          Cooler: Made in the USA anybody over off-shore Yeti
          Water Bottles: Nalgene
          Flashlights: Surefire or Malkoff or Elzetta (all made in USA)
          Smartphone: Apple iPhone
          Headlamp: Black Diamond or Princeton Tec (regulated circuit so it fades as battery power fades)
          Handtools: Knipex
          Precision Screwdrivers: Vessel or Wiha
          Cooking Glassware: Anchor Hocking and Pyrex
          Glass Nesting Bowls: Duralex
          Dress Shoes: Allen Edmonds
          Boots: Redwing Heritage/Wolverine 1000 milers
          Running Shoes: Hoka or Brooks
          Sandals: Birkenstocks or made in USA Chacos
          Watch Sub 100: Casio or Citizen
          Watch Sub 300: Orient or Seiko
          Watch Sub 750: Tissot or Casio Oceanus s100 or t200 (Japanese Domestic Market)
          Watch Sub 1500: Oris or Christopher Ward
          Watch Sub 3000: Sinn or Damasko
          Watch Sub 5000: Tudor or Grand Seiko
          Watch Sub 10000: Omega or Grand Seiko or Rolex (nearly impossible to buy at MSRP from an Authorized Dealer at this time)
          Nylon Belts: The Wilderness or Mastermind Tactics (with non metal hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by vcdgrips View Post
            Fountain Pens Under 50: Lamy Al-Star
            For the under $50 category, I think the TWSBI Eco is also a great buy. I've been extremely happy with the quality, and I love that they're piston-fill so they hold a lot of ink. It's my everyday workhorse pen.

Everyday carry (2 mile walk to work) is an SG23. Fantastic bag.

Comment

Found some stylish barefoot shoe brands that I love. I don't wear any other type now
              The Drifter Leather- custom fit to your foot
              Zaqq
              Groundies
              Peerko

Black/Island Synapse 19, Black/Steel, 13" Ristretto, Indigo BB, Island LSB, Black SSB, Sitka SSB, Seapine P.I.K.A, Sitka STT, Sitka SSC

Comment

Nock Co., which I found through these forums, is going out of business. They're having a sale on the stock that they have left in case anyone else is a fan. They have a few things in an AlphaViolet-ish color too.

edit: They sell pen and notebook cases for those not familiar with them.
                Last edited by Awesomepants; Today, 01:42 PM. Reason: Added description of company

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomepants View Post
                  Nock Co., which I found through these forums, is going out of business. They're having a sale on the stock that they have left in case anyone else is a fan. They have a few things in an AlphaViolet-ish color too.

edit: They sell pen and notebook cases for those not familiar with them.
                  Yes, I received this sad email notice today, too. I posted back at the end of March (in the Hobonichi Techo thread) when they put their last Kickstarter project (waxed canvas version of their Brasstown and Sinclair pen cases) on general sale. I also like their paper products. They stopped selling their pen cases at places like Goulet Pens and Jet Pens a while ago.

moriond

Comment

Working...
                  X