Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,735   Members: 6,892   Active Members: 243
Welcome to our newest member, B-Con.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
    It's been awhile since I've been here, but I've discovered so many great products from you all. Here are some of my favorites.

Wool&.com. The ladies side of Wool&Prince wool clothing. They've really upped their game from one dress to many great clothing items.
    Outlier.com. I love their T-shirts although as a lady, nothing else on their site fits me.
    Birkenstock.com I love the new Kyoto style. Many styles available on this site are not available anywhere else.
    Stegmann.com. I love their wool clogs. It's nice to be able to finally get them again.
    Macabiskirt.com. I love their long travel skirt. BIG POCKETS. I can hike or go to a ball in this skirt.
    Lightheartgear.com. Short hiking skirt. BIG POCKETS. This skirt replaces shorts for me.
    All-ett.com. Great thin wallets.
    Bluffworks.com. Hubby loves their travel pants and shirts. I'm not wild about their ladies clothes, though.
    Flipandtumble.com. I love my Tom Bihn shop bags for when I know I'm going shopping, BUT, for keeping an emergency tote bag in my Tom Bihn Side Kick, I love the Flip & Tumble 24x7 bag. It folds up TINY. I prefer my TB bags, but they don't fold down like the F&T ones do. I keep a F&T bag inside my TB bags incase I need an extra tote bag when I'm out and about.
    Cuddledown.com. Great sheets. Love their 400 count sateen sheets in 100% cotton. Silky smooth and they don't wrinkle.

Pearlparadise.com. Great quality mail order pearls.
    Pearlsofjoy.com Great quality mail order pearls.
    Kamokapearls.com. Great quality Tahitian pearls from the actual pearl farmer.
    Kojimapearl.com. Funky pearl designs. High quality.

I know the owners of all these pearl companies, and I highly recommend them. Great people. Great return policies, since they do mail order only.

Thank you!!! I have been looking all over for a wool v-neck tee in that exact shade of green. Wool& has it and a lovely plum color too!
    Black/Island Synapse 19, Black/Steel, 13" Ristretto, Indigo BB, Island LSB, Black SSB, Sitka SSB, Seapine P.I.K.A, Sitka STT, Sitka SSC

Comment

Help. Hubby hates to shop, but needs new clothes. For decades we'd just order from Lands' End for him. But Lands' End went downhill after they sold to Sears and then Sears went bankrupt and sold Lands' End to someone else. Their stuff is now very cheaply made and doesn't fit well. LL Bean is too baggy / saggy on him. I find it easier to mail order for him since I can't drag him to a store to try on clothes.

So, any recommendations for casual or dress pants, and Oxford shirts and polo shirts? Who are the good mail order clothing places these days?

He's 5'9" tall, 135 lbs, slim, no butt. 31 inch waist. And 72 years old, but I want him to dress a bit younger, if you know what I mean. I don't want him looking like an old man. I want him to look up to date.

I've converted him to Outlier T-shirts, although he choked at the price. I think their pants are a bit too out there style wise for him. But if you recommend them, I'll get him to try some.
      Bluffworks Gramercy tailored pants and shirts fit him well, and he has some for travel, but he really prefers cotton and linen to all synthetic clothing.

Also, we live in central Florida, so we're not looking for warm clothing, but stuff he won't sweat in.
      Last edited by BWeaves; 12-22-2022, 06:15 AM.

Comment

BWeaves maybe Eddie Bauer for basic pants?

“Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
        “Sir?”
        “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
        “Sir?”
        “That’s practically zen.”
        -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Lands End! They had an outlet store outside of Spring Green, Wisconsin that probably clothed most of Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin Fellowship. I don't know where the nearest one would be around home in Chicago, and sad to hear the quality has declined.

LL Bean never, and I mean NEVER fits me well. I totally get that. Jackets, fleece, button-ups, tees - none of their stuff fits quite right.

I think G42 has the right idea, BWeaves.

Eddie Bauer is a really great brand because it offers clothes for both travel and everyday wear, AND doesn't cost a damn fortune. They're almost always offering promotions and sales - especially during the holiday season.

I like them because a lot of their stuff can be washed in cold water, hung dry, and doesn't require ironing.

They've also got less technical, more traditional pieces made from cotton and wool, too. They're like Patagonia, etc. in that the colors and patterns change every season, but the styles stay mostly the same, and even if they discontinue a piece you like, hold onto the tags and search the item on eBay, Poshmark, etc. - EB stopped making my favorite fleece hoodie a few years ago, but I since managed to find two more of them from secondhand resellers online (with the retail tags still attached!).

Nice part of EB is they have brick and mortar stores, so you can try things on in person, and if you find a style you like they don't have in store, order more from the online store.

Check EB out and see if it sticks with the hubs.

Mizzen and Main is my number one favorite shirtmaker (technical fabrics with a tailored fit that are quick-dry and anti-wrinkle) but they're spendy shirts. Classic styling, either solid colors or fairly traditional patterns, and they offer both trim and regular cuts, depending on whether or not if he prefers something a little more tailored, or a little more relaxed. Their "Leeward" fabric is the best compromise between a traditional dress shirt material and a technical fabric - the "Spinnaker," etc. are a little too much stretch and aren't as crisp-looking. I wear them to work. Dinners. Weddings. Or just around town. Great shirts, even if he just needs one or two nice ones for going out. AND they offer free returns, so you don't have to eat return shipping costs if something doesn't work out. FYI - they only sold dress shirts in the beginning, but now have everything from tees, to polos, to sweaters, shorts, pants, etc.

Hope that helps some!
          Last edited by Chicagoan; 12-22-2022, 07:58 PM.
          I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:
          Everyday Carry: SK
          Hiking Daypack: Cambiata

Car Travel: SK, T45, MT
          Plane
          ​Travel: CP, TS, SZTSB

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately, I've not had good luck with Eddie Bauer previously. Buttons pop off the first time the items are worn. Seams split after a couple of wearings. And most of the pants I looked at for hubby looked like hiking gear. He wants something dressier than chinos.

Comment

Athleisure brands like Lululemon make really nice pants that dress up and down equally well, but they're usually around $128 a pair.

I've worn Lululemon's Classic Fit ABC Pant exclusively since 2015. I don't even own a single pair of jeans anymore. I've worn those pants to work. To weddings. And even once for a three day long canoe trip on the Wisconsin River.

If he wants something of above average quality, he (unfortunately) will probabaly have to pay above average prices, unless there's a place you can find the same product gently used and secondhand.

EB can be very inconsistent. A store employee once told me to literally try everything on before buying it because even the same style shirt in the same size can differ from another. Don't get me wrong - the items I have from them I like a lot! - but it's definitely a brand you want to try on inside a store first.

Mizzen and Main is proper shirting, clothing, and accessories, but again, at what hubs may consider a premium price point. But they do have nicer (more formal) options than Chinos. When I need a shirt to wear for a nice dinner, work event, or wedding - that's the brand I grab out of my closet.

Plane

Comment

OK, so I looked at the Mizzen and Main website and looked at the pants. Is it just me, or does the fit look horrible on the models? The fabric is clingy and doesn't drape well. And the fit around the crotch and buns is awful. The fabric looks like plastic (OK it's poly and elastane, which is fine for tights, but not men's pants). I'm willing to spend some money if the pants and shirts are actually nice and not plastic.

Comment

OK, so I looked at the Mizzen and Main website and looked at the pants. Is it just me, or does the fit look horrible on the models? The fabric is clingy and doesn't drape well. And the fit around the crotch and buns is awful. The fabric looks like plastic (OK it's poly and elastane, which is fine for tights, but not men's pants). I'm willing to spend some money if the pants and shirts are actually nice and not plastic.
                  If you're willing to spend the money, there's no trouser I'd recommend more than Lululemon's Classic Fit ABC Pant.

Mizzen is better for shirts (it's where their business started and is still strongest).

If you want nice looking pants that fit well, buy the Lulus - you'll eventually figure it out, but the "ABC" is actually an acronym that speaks to the design of the crotch.

Synthetic blends have come a long way. They're wrinkle resistant, breathe well, dry quickly, and are much more packable than anything cotton.

I don't buy or wear anything anymore that requires ironing or dry cleaning (cold wash and hang dry only) so manufacturers like these have been a game changer.
                  Last edited by Chicagoan; 12-28-2022, 06:56 AM.

Plane

Comment

Thanks. I don't like the seam behind the knee. That would drive me crazy. And they still look too synthetic.

I wear nothing but wool or linen and I dry clean NOTHING. Wash and hang dry and neither wool or linen need ironing that way. Plus, they never smell, so I wash them very rarely.

Thanks for the recommendations, but I'll still keep looking.

Comment

Thanks. I don't like the seam behind the knee. That would drive me crazy. And they still look too synthetic.

I wear nothing but wool or linen and I dry clean NOTHING. Wash and hang dry and neither wool or linen need ironing that way. Plus, they never smell, so I wash them very rarely.

Thanks for the recommendations, but I'll still keep looking.
                      If I didn't have to worry about pet hair (we share a home with multiple pets) I'd gladly wear wool clothing - but since that's not an option I have to defer to synthetic options that shed pet hair (and also why 99% of my Tom Bihn bags are NOT Cordura).

The seam behind the knee isn't something the wearer can feel - if you don't like the look, however, that's your preference and I can't change that!

Good luck! Hopefully you find something that checks all your boxes and when you do, please post and let us all know.

Plane

Comment

I wear nothing but wool or linen ... .
                        You can buy your husband pants in a merino blend. Toorallie is the name of the company, and I'll excerpt their blurb below. Toorallie has been around for a long time.

"Our MERINO-DENIM™ couples the familiarity of traditional jeans with the performance properties of Merino wool for jeans that are unparalleled in their comfort and wearability.

Naturally insulating yet breathable, our Ando jean is gentle on the skin, soft to the touch, and encased with warmth. It is designed with a mid-rise waist height and a straight leg, with classic finishes for a lifetime of wear.

MATERIALS 20% Merino Wool, 79% Cotton, 1% Elastane.​ Machine washable, preferably using a wool-friendly detergent.

Merino wool is naturally antibacterial and odour-resistant, so it doesn’t require washing after every wear. We recommend hanging your garments to air between wears instead."

Comment

Prana has a number of pants with a slim cut in both mostly cotton and mostly stretchy poly.

the link is illustrative and not inclusive

https://www.prana.com/p/bridger-slim...n/1964791.html

Most of this travel/hiker climber vibe gear can be had for 20-50% off retail with a sharp pencil and some out of season buying at company websites and the usual suspects like REI/Moosejaw, Back Country and even Eddie Bauer, particularly their 1st Ascent Line.

Finally, I have been pleasantly surprised in this space by the recent offerings at Costco to include some "Banana Republic" branded travel pants. Under 25.00 per though they were 100 % synthetic. They held up well during a recent overseas trip.

These look similar BUT ARE 97% COTTON. 23.99

https://www.costco.com/banana-republ...100827776.html

Comment

Working...
                          X