Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,530   Posts: 187,825   Members: 6,493   Active Members: 297
Welcome to our newest member, dcaisson.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PowerMonkey-- rechargeable by either main or solar, interchangeble tips, charges my kids' ipods and gameboys and my blackberry and my daughters' phones, small and light and two currently reside in my snake charmer.

I like Oakley for prescription sunglasses. Flak Jacket XLJ w Polarized Black Iridium lenses have changed my life from golf to beach to skiing to driving. No distortion at all. Only drawback are slightly goofy nosepads.
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Comment

I think Pendleton blankets are beautiful, and I was pleased to see that some of their women's skirts (wool plaid skirts) are Made in USA.
      Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

I remember when the Beach Boys were a garage band pendleton shirts were their signature look. At my high school, only the wealthy kids could afford these pendleton shirts in the 1960s. I wasn’t one of them.
        Last edited by PM4HIRE; 01-29-2009, 09:19 AM.
        Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA

Travel Lite & Smart

Comment

Lodge cast iron cookware.

I swear that I can cook anything in my 12" cast iron skillet. It will outlast everything else in my kitchen, and probably end up as a heirloom for my kids. Plus, when seasoned properly, it does a far better job as a nonstick surface than any teflon coated pan (not to mention the health issues).

It cost me less than $20 and is still made in the US.
          ----------------
          Bob P.
          Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Comment

Originally posted by PM4HIRE View Post
            I remember when the Beach Boys were a garage band pendleton shirts were their signature look. At my high school, only the wealthy kids could afford these pendleton shirts in the 1960s. I wasn’t one of them.
            Interesting history on the Pendleton web site mentions that.

Originally posted by MagicTiki
            Lodge cast iron cookware.
            I love Lodge. Their cast iron wok is great.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Many of my high school friends were friends with the Beach boys since they attended a competing high school in the South Bay area in southern California where I grew up.
              Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA

Travel Lite & Smart

Comment

Well, I have to say that I'm starting to see a pattern in my buying habits. Sage Fly Rods (awesome warranty, great products), Filson clothing (if you haven't tried their stuff, OMG! I swear tin cloth is bullet proof! Also, I really like the old school materials), and now Tom Bihn (no explanation needed). The pattern? They're all in the Seattle area! Apparently, quality is still valued in that part of the world. Not to bash the mutliple other great companies sprinkled across this great nation but I think I'm gonna have to move.

P.S. Benchmade! How could I forget Benchmade Knives and their life sharp policy(It gets dull, you send it in, it comes back sharp as new). OK, so they're in Portland but still.
                Last edited by nikonnut; 01-30-2009, 05:51 PM.
                ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi) w/ Q-AM strap,Large Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Olive, Cayenne. It may be a gift!) Clear Quarter Cube (my version of the snake charmer), an Olive clear organizer wallet, and a slew of strapeez.

Comment

Wet shaving in general is a quality purchase and a luxury I have recently found. Funny thing is, it saves you money. a used razor at an antique store 5-10 bucks blades are under a quarter, a tube of 5 dollar cream lasts and lasts, and even the 13 dollar tweezer man brush does a good job. Much cheaper than a Mach 3, better shave and it feels so good. If you are interested search wetshaving on youtube. it is a great feeling having a soft brush apply warm fragrant lather on your face. trust me.

Comment

And another Lodge Cast Iron user, here. I have a 10, 12, and 15". Bought them at Costco of all places (haven't seen them again in the two years since I bough them). They're seasoning in just fine, and Bob P is absolutely right: they'll definitely be the last cast iron skillets I'll ever need to buy... they're bulletproof! In fact, I may have to order the dutch oven I always wanted but never got around to buying (see what you guys started?).

Lodge Cast Iron Cookware
                    Karl

Comment

Originally posted by KarlJ View Post
                      And another Lodge Cast Iron user, here. I have a 10, 12, and 15". Bought them at Costco of all places (haven't seen them again in the two years since I bough them). They're seasoning in just fine, and Bob P is absolutely right: they'll definitely be the last cast iron skillets I'll ever need to buy... they're bulletproof! In fact, I may have to order the dutch oven I always wanted but never got around to buying (see what you guys started?).

Lodge Cast Iron Cookware
                      A cook after my own heart!

I have a monstrous cast-iron dutch oven as well, but it's not a Lodge. I have another Lodge on on my "wish list" that's a camp-style dutch oven with legs and a reversible lid that you can use as a griddle. You can plant your coals underneath it, on top or inside depending upon what you're doing.

One quick note on the Made in USA thing: it seems that the traditional cast-iron stuff is all made in the USA, but some of their new lines of enamel/cast iron products are imported. Just something to note if you're looking. I've seen videos of them making the traditional cast-iron stuff in Kentucky. It's pretty neat!
                      ----------------
                      Bob P.
                      Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Comment

I don't know if they're bullet-proof; my roommate's handle-less Lodge skillet might dispute that (fell off the counter onto our kitchen floor and the handle snapped right off; the tile was unscathed). However, with some proper care and handling, they do last a pretty long time. I picked up a skillet from a flea market. It's probably ancient but still in great condition.

On the subject of coffee, I get my beans from Anderson's Coffee in Austin. I've never had a blend that I didn't like (I like Alfred's best), and the prices are reasonable, too.
                        Last edited by calel; 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicTiki View Post
                          A cook after my own heart!

I have a monstrous cast-iron dutch oven as well, but it's not a Lodge. I have another Lodge on on my "wish list" that's a camp-style dutch oven with legs and a reversible lid that you can use as a griddle. You can plant your coals underneath it, on top or inside depending upon what you're doing.

One quick note on the Made in USA thing: it seems that the traditional cast-iron stuff is all made in the USA, but some of their new lines of enamel/cast iron products are imported. Just something to note if you're looking. I've seen videos of them making the traditional cast-iron stuff in Kentucky. It's pretty neat!
                          Was looking into Lodge and found some not-so-favorable cooking site forum feedback of the enamelled product vs the Le Creuset 800-pound gorilla. The feedback on the regular cast-iron products seemed very favorable.
                          Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Comment

Stuffed animals made in Arizona. Pretty cute, great gift for small kids.

Comment

coffee coffee coffee

Did somebody say coffee?? These guys have some good stuff, and even some beans that support a dog rescue organization:
                              Green Tree Coffee & Tea

Comment

I'm very fond of Jos. A. Bank Signature men's business suits. There are more expensive suits out there, but in my opinion these best value for the money(especially if you buy them on sale!). They are of very high quality, and with proper care they last a long time. And its hard to beat the customer service at a JAB store.
                                There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

Comment

Working...
                                X