Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,636   Posts: 189,039   Members: 6,623   Active Members: 299
MartyAuste
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, MartyAuste.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    NClens
    Forum Member

• NClens
    replied
    Zamberlan boots last forever. I have had a pair over 10 years. It remains 100% waterproof and the sole actually still looks good.

Rolex submariner. I have a 15 year old one that works perfectly well with zero scratches on the sapphire glass. In comparison, my stainless steel Apple Watch lasted a little over a year. The Apple watch much use the world's lowest grade of sapphire glass because mine had scuffs on it after about 6 months. Come to think of it, the quality of the stainless also is subpar on the Apple watch as it's scratched more than my Rolex.

Boeing 787. This is going to sound strange, but after several trips to Asia and back from the US on different aircraft, there is no comparison. The air quality (significantly less dry) and flight smoothness of this plane blows away peers. The Airbus 330 is the opposite of the 787.

Thermarest travel cushion. This thing is amazing. It inflates on its own and saved me on the Asian flights I've been taking. It also can be be deflated and rolled up into something about the size of a can of soda.

Leave a comment:

• spindifferent
    Forum Member

• spindifferent
    replied
    John Deere tractors
    Weber grills
    Apple Mac and iOS products

Leave a comment:

• barefoot
    Forum Member

• barefoot
    replied
    Thank you mkeith12 for RBW <https://www.rivbike.com/> inspiration! I have been saving up since last June for one of their bikes its going to take a while longer, but I gotta have me one. In the meantime, I have been making a few changes to my old beater bike to make it more riv-like. Just got an order today of an albatross handlebars, cork grips, tape, and a bell I love their site too, and Grant P. is definitely someone I would love to know.

Leave a comment:

• bltkmt
    Forum Member

• bltkmt
    replied
    Originally posted by Apresski View Post
    Such an awesome thread! So much have been added to my I-WANT list.

One thing that I do love that I dont think is mentioned is my bunker-ring for my iPhone/mini iPad. It is so very convenient. It's a ring that attaches to the back (it can be removed) that svivels and helps you hold the phone more securely, and since I got it I have not dropped my phone once. (This used to be a rather expensive habit of mine). It also doubles as a stand and comes with a hook attachment to hang on the wall/car. (I've found that since I dont have the ring centered that's not so useful). Also - I know it's a silly problem, but with the iPhone 6s I found it hard to text one handed - the shift, q, w, a and s keys were to far away to reach with my thumb when holding the phone securely. With this ring I can easily reach them. I know I'm gushing - but I've seldom been so happy with an impulse-1am-amazon-buy. (they color on them do wear out but I've happily bought replacements). I'll attach a picture from amazon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17663[/ATTACH]
    Along the same lines are http://www.loopycases.com. I initially backed them on Kickstarter and have a few as does my wife. Very comfortable and practical.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)

• Darcy
    replied
    On a recent road trip, I spent a little time in Mancos, Colorado where I purchased a very nice blanket made by Nancy Hains. She collects the wool from her own sheep and alpacas and dyes, spins, and weaves it herself.

On that same trip, I used my Snowpeak French Press every time we camped for the night. It's a nice little french press, especially if you only make/drink one strong cup of coffee in the morning like I do. I even use it at home.

More food than thing but I really like Sprout Living Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder.

Leave a comment:

• FoxValleyDame
    Forum Member

• FoxValleyDame
    replied
    "Badger" brand natural and organic body/ skin care products. I especially like their sunscreens...they have very limited ingredients (like 5 ingredients for their unscented sunscreen), coral reef safe, non-nano zinc oxide, and baby safe. Their bug repellant is great too (no nasty chemicals in it). They are also known for their balms. They make all kinds of other stuff too for your face and body. It is all made in New Hampshire by a small family owned business. Oh and NO animal testing!

Object moved

Leave a comment:

• imahawki
    Forum Member

• imahawki
    replied
    Inspired by a few other posts here...

Camera related: Domke waxed canvas bags and Peak Design straps

EDC:
    Pens: TWSBI for every day, and Visconti for nicer pens. I really like J. Herbin and Waterman inks. They're very well behaved. I have tons of others but those more frequently bleed and feather on cheap papers.
    Hydro Flask water bottles - Hate the Yeti hype, especially since they've been equaled or bested by cups costing 1/5 as much in so many tests now and their coolers have been beaten by WalMart Igloo coolers. UGH to Yeti!
    Another vote for Bellroy wallets
    Fenix flashlights
    Pocket Knives: Openel and SOG
    OrbitKey

Ecco shoes - probably own 6 pair now

High end audio: Anthem , GoldenEar, and Schiit Audio. Emphasis on quality over audio "jewelry"

Leave a comment:

• BWeaves
    Forum Member

• BWeaves
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    @BWeaves and others,

Yes, they do make versions with a clip -- BUT, I have the matte black Bullet version (from Field Notes). And I should say that the slim style and small size when used posted fits my (small) hand very well. The place where I carry this pen is in the halcyon pocket in the main compartment of the Side Effect. The bullet ends of the Fisher Space Pen let it lie flat in the bottom of one of the Halcyon pockets, but keep it from falling out, while making it easy to remove without using a pouch or requiring pen slots. Works for me. YMMV. And, of course, there are no leaks.

moriond
    I have the silver version. I was afraid the matte black one would disappear as I need to see bright things in the bottom of my bag. I love the feel of the silver one. It's just so darn slippery.

Leave a comment:

• Kerrpe
    Forum Member

• Kerrpe
    replied
    Originally posted by K9TB View Post
    I just put this in a different post but decided to add it here since there's lots of dog friendly folks here. I get all my dogs' tags from Boomerang Tags. I think the web site looks a little amateurish, but the engraving on the tags does last.

Boomerang Pet Tags: Guaranteed to last. Mailed today, Free Shipping.

Oh, I can totally second Boomerang Tags. I've been using them for years. The tags that slip over the collar are great - never worry about losing it and they don't jingle!

Also, on another semi-dog related note, if I haven't mentioned it before I'll add my Kirby vacuum cleaner. Made in the USA this thing is going to outlast me. I'm not crazy about the sales method (you get to hone your bargaining skills), but the vacuum is a beast, and we have four large dogs.

And, (not dog related, well - they get to pre-wash! ), although it seems to be French-made, I put in a vote for Corningware Pyroceram. Yep, the ones with the blue cornflowers. Love it more than my cast iron. Literally outlives family members.

Leave a comment:

• Apresski
    Forum Member

• Apresski
    replied
    Such an awesome thread! So much have been added to my I-WANT list.

One thing that I do love that I dont think is mentioned is my bunker-ring for my iPhone/mini iPad. It is so very convenient. It's a ring that attaches to the back (it can be removed) that svivels and helps you hold the phone more securely, and since I got it I have not dropped my phone once. (This used to be a rather expensive habit of mine). It also doubles as a stand and comes with a hook attachment to hang on the wall/car. (I've found that since I dont have the ring centered that's not so useful). Also - I know it's a silly problem, but with the iPhone 6s I found it hard to text one handed - the shift, q, w, a and s keys were to far away to reach with my thumb when holding the phone securely. With this ring I can easily reach them. I know I'm gushing - but I've seldom been so happy with an impulse-1am-amazon-buy. (they color on them do wear out but I've happily bought replacements). I'll attach a picture from amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bunker ring.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	301214

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    Volunteer Moderator

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
    My Fisher Space Pen is a slippery little thing. Looks like a silver bullet. BUT . . . It's not tall enough to poke out the top of a pen slot, which makes it hard to get out of the pen slot. It doesn't have a clippy thing, so if the pen slot is bottomless, it falls through. And it's completely tubular. If I set it down, it immediately rolls away. I do love the pen, but I wish it was longer, had some flat sides and a clippy thing.
    @BWeaves and others,

Yes, they do make versions with a clip -- BUT, I have the matte black Bullet version (from Field Notes). And I should say that the slim style and small size when used posted fits my (small) hand very well. The place where I carry this pen is in the halcyon pocket in the main compartment of the Side Effect. The bullet ends of the Fisher Space Pen let it lie flat in the bottom of one of the Halcyon pockets, but keep it from falling out, while making it easy to remove without using a pouch or requiring pen slots. Works for me. YMMV. And, of course, there are no leaks.

moriond

Leave a comment:

• achat
    Forum Member

• achat
    replied
    Kevin Kelly is one of the guys associated with the old Whole Earth Catalog, among other projects.

Leave a comment:

• luthercale
    Forum Member

• luthercale
    replied
    My Fisher Space Pen is a slippery little thing. Looks like a silver bullet. BUT . . . It's not tall enough to poke out the top of a pen slot, which makes it hard to get out of the pen slot. It doesn't have a clippy thing, so if the pen slot is bottomless, it falls through. And it's completely tubular. If I set it down, it immediately rolls away. I do love the pen, but I wish it was longer, had some flat sides and a clippy thing.
    Yes, they actually make a version with a clip attached. I switched to that version for the reasons you mentioned.

There is a also a trekker version which is good for attaching to O rings and other connection points.

Leave a comment:

• thalada

• thalada
    replied
    Mobile Phones, TV'S, Home Theaters - Sony
    Speakers - Boss
    Footwear - Puma, Nike, Adidas

Leave a comment:

• Mathew
    Forum Member

• Mathew
    replied
    I have one I bought at NASM. it's full length, has a clicky top to make the nip go in/out, has a clip (with a little space shuttle on it), and because of the clip doesn't roll around. Was only $12.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X