Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,816   Posts: 191,187   Members: 6,708   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, Rangerjo.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeaceBell
    replied
    The Trubalance last sizing is indeed unusual, I sized down half a size from my usual size (7.5E to 7D). The toe box is voluminous which works well with my feet. I would have got the sizing wrong if I have not tried them on, so getting fitted in person is definitely advisable.

Leave a comment:

• pvn
    replied
    +1 for the Alden 403. Amazing boot. Sizing is weird, though, I would highly recommend that anyone considering these get fitted in person at a real shoe store (I got mine at the company store in SF).

Leave a comment:

• PeaceBell
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomepants View Post

I’m a 2E+ as well. For athletic shoes I’ve had pretty good luck with Asics. They make a lot of stuff in 2E and some of their models, like the GT-2000 are more rigid and fit my orthotics. For dressier mens shoes I like Allen Edmonds, you can get them in a wide variety of widths. They have a big sale, usually in mid-June. If you end up getting a pair with wooden bottoms, I recommend taking them to a cobbler and adding a rubber sole (doesn’t cost much) and you’ll have some comfy(ish) sharp shoes.
    Originally posted by meltzermt View Post

I have wide feet as well and recently stumbled upon Hoka One One shoes. They offer wide versions, aren't super flashy for sneakers, are super comfortable, and have trail oriented versions for hiking. In terms of dress shoes, check out Rancourt and Co. from Maine. They do semi-custom and custom shoes built to order, all resoleable. I have a pair of their dress shoes and dress boots, the latter of which I wore to my wedding!

If you're looking for hiking boots, check out Limmer Boots. They do offer full custom (waiting time 12-24 months), but their off the shelf models are almost as good and readily available. They offer wide versions, and while I have wide feet I have the Standard boot and since they're all leather, easily stretched to accommodate my feet. Just don't plan to purchase them close to a hike/trip--the break in time can be up to a year. It sounds crazy, but the average lifespan on their boots is 10-20 years so it ends up being worth it.
    It's been a while, but I just bought a pair of Alden 403 (Indy Boot) - finally a pair of shoes that fit me like a glove - hugs the right places, no hotspots or slippage, great ankle and arch support. I was initially not enamoured with the styling, preferring something dressier, but I just could not ignore the fit. The Chromexcel leather is soft and supple. I wish the laces are of better quality though. Happy with them!

Leave a comment:

• twosandalz
    replied
    Nomadix quick dry, pack small towels. I'm pleasantly surprised by how absorbent it is. Other small-pack, synthetic towels I've used just aren't very absorbent. They're good enough big drips off and then I air dry the rest of the way. But this is nearly as good as cotton. So I wanted to share here.

Leave a comment:

• epeterson
    replied
    I have one of Nock's "Lookout" pen holsters and it's great quality. I only wish I had seen their going-out-of-business email in time to order one of the Lanier A5 pouches (or the Burton waxed canvas variety). Could really use one of those.

Leave a comment:

• DQBunny
    replied
    That is the Nock Brasstown with the unrolled portion lying on top of an iPad 4 (original size) in a cache. Because the roll is attached top a zippered pouch, you can put a lot of pens into it, including between slots of the pen roll section.
    Thank you, I now have something to nudge my spouse toward for Christmas!

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post

I realise I'm way too late, but their Brasstown reminds me of the discontinued TB 20617868423"]Tool/Pen Wrap[/URL]. And the Stand-up Pen Case is effectively a very narrow Travel Tray. Just in case the TB folks would be looking for things to produce ...
    dirkhaun The (retired) Tool/Pen Wrap was not specifically designed with fountain pens in mind, and while it works well for gel pens, a number of fountain pen models are too thick to easily fit into it. On the other hand, that Tom BIHN accessory has been used to hold other crafting needle products. The first reference to Nock products, and a picture of the Brasstown, was introduced to the forums by adalangdon. She is one of those secret forum enablers who casually drops pictures of cool products, Tom BIHN accessories, or color combinations into her posts in different threads across the forums, so you may not be aware of how insidious and pervasive her influence is, or be able to trace things back to her. In this particular instance, she posted (#136, dated 08-01-2015) a picture of the Nock Brasstown from a thread titled Uses of the Parental Unit:
    @adalangdon’s Parental Unit packup including Nock Brasstown pen roll

That’s the Nock Brasstown pen roll holding various pens in the lower left corner of the picture. To the right is a Côte&Ciel Mykita Eyewear Case in Cinder Grey/Pink (see her 3-11-2015 post in the Sunglasses thread from 03-06-2015 started by @fdiaz64) further to the right is a Hobonichi Techo notebook with Cover on Cover. The clear 3D Organizer Cube is Azure Cordura, the Mesh 3DOC is Plum Cordura, with an attached Storm 6” Cordura keystrap. I think the pouches above the Grey Field Journal Notebook at the right are the Navy all-fabric version of the Clear Organizer Wallet (COW), an Original Nordic 400d Halcyon COW), and a Nano size Coyote Ballistic Organizer Pouch seen from the back. (For more pictures of this retired Ballistic Coyote Organizer Pouch, see the Coyote - the unsung hero? Thread from 07-10-2015

Sizing information is discussed in my post the Pen Wrap or Ballistic pouch? thread. I wrote there:
    If you want to hold a lot of pens/pencils, consider getting the Nock Brasstown, which is a pen roll in a zippered case. You can fit a number of other pens inside the case, and between the pen slots of that pen roll, and the slots are wide for Fountain pens. I have a picture of this case in one of my posts on the Daylight Briefcase in Black Halcyon that I will add the link for.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=312453&d=1624930089.jpg Views:	0 Size:	299.5 KB ID:	337556

That is the Nock Brasstown with the unrolled portion lying on top of an iPad 4 (original size) in a cache. Because the roll is attached top a zippered pouch, you can put a lot of pens into it, including between slots of the pen roll section.

This answer later points to links to the The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't) thread that shows pictures of which fountain pens fit and which ones don’t — but will fit into the Brasstown
    Last edited by moriond; 12-05-2021, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dirkhaun
    replied
    Originally posted by bchaplin View Post

Thanks for pointing this out! Too bad they are going out of business -- this post made me look at their site and I bought a case that fits three pens on one side and a pocket notebook (or index cards) on the other. The outside color is a bit bright for me -- almost like TB's Mayura -- but usable!
    I realise I'm way too late, but their Brasstown reminds me of the discontinued TB Tool/Pen Wrap. And the Stand-up Pen Case is effectively a very narrow Travel Tray. Just in case the TB folks would be looking for things to produce ...

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomepants View Post
    Nock Co., which I found through these forums, is going out of business. They're having a sale on the stock that they have left in case anyone else is a fan. They have a few things in an AlphaViolet-ish color too.

edit: They sell pen and notebook cases for those not familiar with them.
    Thanks for pointing this out! Too bad they are going out of business -- this post made me look at their site and I bought a case that fits three pens on one side and a pocket notebook (or index cards) on the other. The outside color is a bit bright for me -- almost like TB's Mayura -- but usable! I bought it quite a long time ago, and nothing happened for so long that I forgot I'd ordered it, but it showed up today. I don't know if it makes sense to carry this, as the index cards I use fit in my Side Kick, which also contains pen slots, but on the other hand it makes them portable if I switch to another bag. And it's cute!

Leave a comment:

• nsh
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	319F3661-FEDA-4EAB-950E-D8D2BBDD6B0B.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	337401 Click image for larger version

Name:	7736BCFE-F4CA-4D65-80E0-215850E807F4.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	4.64 MB
ID:	337400 Another brand I love: Vermont Teddybear. Many of their teddy bears are still made in Shelburne, Vermont and the factory there is so much fun. I still have my favorite teddy bear (named Cozy) from Christmas 1995. I attached pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB7E4923-F3CC-4F74-8B95-9D4AC9B46B0A.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	337399 The old label is so sweet: “Filled with dreams, love, and 100% polyester.” They have a lifetime guarantee and have a great bear hospital if yours is injured or in need of repair. My daughter has her own bear too!

Leave a comment:

• nsh
    replied
    This is just such a great thread! I got inspired to do a little holiday shopping based on the suggestions. 1) I bought some beans from Rancho Gordo (and even a bean club bandana, because what look is complete without one?!) and then I still felt hungry so 2) I went over to the King Arthur Flour Co website and bought a pizza kit for my family, and, OF COURSE,…a bag! I liked the red reusable King Arthur flour bag. I envision myself in spring semester 2022 walking around campus with a bean bandana around on my neck and my library books in the red flour bag! Folks will think, this lady likes food! Ha.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Just received one of the Winter Seasonal bud vases and it reminded me to mention Heath Ceramics here...

https://www.heathceramics.com/

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    Really good fresh dried heirloom beans (they work directly with farmers) and associated cookbooks, etc. They also usually have some other interesting items for entertaining or gifting. If you're on their mailing list, besides hearing right from the owner, you get random recipes too.

https://www.ranchogordo.com/
    I love those beans, but wasn't subscribed to their mailing list! Just signed up

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    I've purchased nice letterpress cards from here several times... She'll do customization besides names too; for example, I had some designs without the words, so that I could use them for more occasions

https://www.etsy.com/shop/alohaletterpress

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Really good fresh dried heirloom beans (they work directly with farmers) and associated cookbooks, etc. They also usually have some other interesting items for entertaining or gifting. If you're on their mailing list, besides hearing right from the owner, you get random recipes too.

https://www.ranchogordo.com/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X