Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,521   Posts: 187,749   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 309
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aryabird
    replied
    Found some stylish barefoot shoe brands that I love. I don't wear any other type now
    The Drifter Leather- custom fit to your foot
    Zaqq
    Groundies
    Peerko

Leave a comment:

• epeterson
    replied
    Originally posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Fountain Pens Under 50: Lamy Al-Star
    For the under $50 category, I think the TWSBI Eco is also a great buy. I've been extremely happy with the quality, and I love that they're piston-fill so they hold a lot of ink. It's my everyday workhorse pen.

Leave a comment:

• vcdgrips
    replied

Merino Wool: Ice Breaker/Smartwool/Stoic
    Fountain Pens Under 10: Platinum Preppy
    Fountain Pens Under 25: Pilot Metropolitan
    Fountain Pens Under 50: Lamy Al-Star
    Fountain Pens Under 150: Lamy 2000 or Sailor 1911
    Socks: Kirkland Brand @Costco 85% Merino Wool or Smartwool or Darn Tough
    Fleece: Outdoor Research but your are really buying fabric -POLARTEC
    Travel Bags: Tom Bihn
    Packing Cube (Non Tom Bihn) Eagle Creek or eBags
    Roller Bag: Travel Pro
    Backpacks(For serious hiking / backpacking) : Osprey or Dueter
    Knives (EDC): Spyderco
    Knives (Bushcraft): Esse
    Cooler: Made in the USA anybody over off-shore Yeti
    Water Bottles: Nalgene
    Flashlights: Surefire or Malkoff or Elzetta (all made in USA)
    Smartphone: Apple iPhone
    Headlamp: Black Diamond or Princeton Tec (regulated circuit so it fades as battery power fades)
    Handtools: Knipex
    Precision Screwdrivers: Vessel or Wiha
    Cooking Glassware: Anchor Hocking and Pyrex
    Glass Nesting Bowls: Duralex
    Dress Shoes: Allen Edmonds
    Boots: Redwing Heritage/Wolverine 1000 milers
    Running Shoes: Hoka or Brooks
    Sandals: Birkenstocks or made in USA Chacos
    Watch Sub 100: Casio or Citizen
    Watch Sub 300: Orient or Seiko
    Watch Sub 750: Tissot or Casio Oceanus s100 or t200 (Japanese Domestic Market)
    Watch Sub 1500: Oris or Christopher Ward
    Watch Sub 3000: Sinn or Damasko
    Watch Sub 5000: Tudor or Grand Seiko
    Watch Sub 10000: Omega or Grand Seiko or Rolex (nearly impossible to buy at MSRP from an Authorized Dealer at this time)
    Nylon Belts: The Wilderness or Mastermind Tactics (with non metal hardware)

Leave a comment:

• Jimbo3b
    replied
    Originally posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    Some favorites of mine that I don't think I've seen yet:
    • URESHII DESIGN - I first heard about this two-woman Canadian company here on the forums. I've bought a bunch of made-to-measure merino clothing from them since then, and it has all been 100% beautiful and perfect....
    After seeing the plug for Ureshii here on the forums, they are now a favorite shirt company for me. I'm a really large guy (6'4", almost 400 lbs post-pandemic...so about a 4XLT or 5XLT) and was wanting simple T-shirts in Merino or a mix that would fit me. So I wrote and asked if they would do a simple shirt for a guy (their website caters to women). I finally ordered from this this spring. They had me either measure myself, or simply take measurements from another shirt. I ordered a black pure merino, and a gray stretch merino. So far, the performance of the two fabrics have been similar. The fit and finish is first rate. I can wear several days in a row without them starting to smell badly. [Edit--I have yet to wash them them due smell, but rather, because of a spill.] I've washed them several times--I put them in a net bag along with my other clothes, and use a gentle detergent for the load. The net bag keeps wear and tear to a minimum, and the shirt is easy to intercept so I can lay it out to dry rather than putting it in the dryer.

I've gotten many ideas from the forums that have been very helpful, but this has been one of the best.

--Jim
    Last edited by Jimbo3b; 06-22-2021, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• autolycus
    replied
    I have recently found Altra for my wide feet. Even the not wide sizes seem to work ok with light or no cushion socks, thanks to their natural foot shape for the toe box. Been doing some neighborhood walks and going to a couple sporting events (standing the whole time) in the Lone Peak 5 and Escalante (4? Whatever the current model). They’re very light and very comfortable for my wide toed feet.

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by meltzermt View Post
    I have wide feet as well and recently stumbled upon Hoka One One shoes.
    I LOVE my Hokas! I've also tried Altras, OnClouds, and some others but the Hokas are my favorite. I got my wife into them too

Leave a comment:

• meltzermt
    replied
    Originally posted by PeaceBell View Post
    Thanks Awesomepants, will check out the Allen Edmonds dress shoes. Wide dress shoes are particularly difficult to find! Will check out Asics shoes as well - I probably have to buy them online. Most staff in shoe stores here (Singapore - except pethorthists) have no concept of different feet width and mentioning "2E width" would mostly result in blank stares.
    I have wide feet as well and recently stumbled upon Hoka One One shoes. They offer wide versions, aren't super flashy for sneakers, are super comfortable, and have trail oriented versions for hiking. In terms of dress shoes, check out Rancourt and Co. from Maine. They do semi-custom and custom shoes built to order, all resoleable. I have a pair of their dress shoes and dress boots, the latter of which I wore to my wedding!

If you're looking for hiking boots, check out Limmer Boots. They do offer full custom (waiting time 12-24 months), but their off the shelf models are almost as good and readily available. They offer wide versions, and while I have wide feet I have the Standard boot and since they're all leather, easily stretched to accommodate my feet. Just don't plan to purchase them close to a hike/trip--the break in time can be up to a year. It sounds crazy, but the average lifespan on their boots is 10-20 years so it ends up being worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    Sheets: 100% cotton, made in the U.S.A, don't unravel after a couple of months.
    I haven't purchased anything from these folks, but thought I'd share the link nonetheless: https://www.redlandcotton.com/
    U.S. grown cotton sheets, also made in U.S.A.

Leave a comment:

• nsh
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    Hi! I don’t have a brand name but all my super quality beautiful cotton American sheets are vintage/thrifted ones. Of course, I wash them in super hot water and clean them before use, but old sheets/towels/those heavy cotton blankets can be found at thrift stores (at least in the Northeast), for really reasonable prices. You could also check out eBay or Etsy. I have bought really expensive new sheets and been disappointed (LLBean isn’t bad- but I dont think the sheets are made in America). I don’t know if others get ick factor from learning that I do this but it is the only way I can find the sheets I like!

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Buffalonian
    replied
    On the subject of coffee grinders, I love the Java hand grinder from VSSL -- so much so that I bought two of them so my partner and I aren't constantly switching the grind. She makes espresso with a Flair Neo; I alternate between a French press, a Vietnamese phin filter, and a Turkish cezve.

https://www.vsslgear.com/pages/vssl-java-landing-page

Leave a comment:

• Buffalonian
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Cafelat Robot Espresso Maker

The shots are great, the machine is simple. I do need a new grinder, though: open to recommendations, if anyone has any!
    I'm so intrigued by the Robot! I bought my partner a Flair Neo as a gift, and she's been thrilled with it -- easy to use, consistently good, and it packs easily into a case when traveling by car.

https://flairespresso.com/

Leave a comment:

• Buffalonian
    replied
    Wildling shoes! They're minimalist shoes (zero drop, thin sole, wide toe box) made in Europe from sustainable materials (wool, organic cotton, hemp, linen) by a deeply ethical company.

https://www.wildling.shoes/en#

Leave a comment:

• Buffalonian
    replied
    Originally posted by scholar View Post
    http://www.utilikilt.com

utili kilts... they sell freedom, with VERY high quality, both on the product, and the service

j
    I wore a two-tone Utilikilt for my wedding! You can see pictures here: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/30/f...y-wedding.html

Leave a comment:

• PeaceBell
    replied
    Thanks Awesomepants, will check out the Allen Edmonds dress shoes. Wide dress shoes are particularly difficult to find! Will check out Asics shoes as well - I probably have to buy them online. Most staff in shoe stores here (Singapore - except pethorthists) have no concept of different feet width and mentioning "2E width" would mostly result in blank stares.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X