Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,770   Posts: 190,603   Members: 6,653   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, bulletproofcharm.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?

As I read many EDC and travel packing lists on TB Forums, I realized one thing... many of us don´t give up the habit of using papel.

So while waiting for the comeback of the Field Journal Notebook and hoping for the debut of a smaller version also, I got really curious and wanted to know what are the Bihnions uses of their FJN, Moleskines, Fieldnotes, Midori Travelers Notebooks and so on...

Sketching...

Click image for larger version

Name:	8f0869ef48bb079f7f76da0149d9da2b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	311352

Chores Tracking...

Name:	Chores.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	311353

To do lists...

Name:	to-do-lists.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	311354

Habit tracking...

Name:	habit_tracking.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	311355

Check lists...

Name:	checklists.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	311356

Spiraldexing...

Name:	spiraldex.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	311357

Travel Diary...

Name:	traveldiary.jpg
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	311358

Bullet Journal

Name:	bullet-journal.jpeg
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	311361

What do you like to do?
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-09-2015, 04:39 AM.
    So much to catch up!

I have certain journals for keeping a diary, others for organizing lists of things to do, and some that I keep for translating in my Biblical Hebrew class. I actually find it easier to jot down my ideas and take notes on paper versus using an app. For all of these activities I prefer the Leuchtturm journals, particularly the very thin (60 page), medium-sized soft books that are no longer sold in the United States. (After a lot of communications with the U.S. vendor of their products, and then the German parent company, I was unable to change this policy, but bought out all of the journals I could find. I now have a stack in reserve.) They are similar to the Moleskine Volants. However, I find the Leuchtturm paper nice to write on, the spine folds open better, and the pages are pre-numbered.

If I ever go to Germany I will have to make a side trip to buy more journals and fill a suitcase with them!

However, I do not think I'd use paper to make a complicated chart like the ones shown above. It seems to me that is a task better suited to a computer program like Excel.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-08-2015, 03:41 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Comment

I swear by taking notes on paper in class because it's much harder to get distracted by the computer that way, and also because I retain stuff better when it's written down. I use the thin Clairefontaine medium staple-bound notebook (either grid or French ruled) for that because their paper is still the most seep-resistant and doesn't cost an arm and a leg! It is also very packable as it fits into a SCB and doesn't weigh very much. I had used a medium Doane Paper notebook for classes, but became frustrated at how it didn't deal well with rollerball ink. I don't think it quite lives to the hype but many love it, so YMMV.

The other thing I use every day is a Exacompta Space 17 (weekly) pocket planner. The paper is a bit thin and absorbant for my liking but all things said, a good product-- I like how they give you 4/5 of a page per week for miscellaneous notes and have the monthly calendar in front. I've considered switching to Hobonichi, but will likely stick to my Space 17 as it's even smaller. But Hobonichi generally sounds like a great option if you like grids and an open space for notes, but also have size/weight constraints.
      Last edited by adalangdon; 02-08-2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I am a planner nerd; I don't journal or sketch but I love to plan so much that I currently use two planners! I remember best by writing things down so I don't use any electronic planners or to-do lists.

The first is a compact Filofax with my DIYfish inserts (picture 5/"Check Lists"). You have to print and cut out these inserts, but they are by far the best inserts I've ever used and are definitely worth any hassle cutting/printing may cause. (I use Version 3, Styles 2 and 5 if anybody is interested.) My medium DOP houses my Filofax in the rear and my pencil pouch in the front zip section.

My second planner is a half letter size ARC Notebook from Staples. I call this notebook my Reference Binder. It houses my Goals/Goals Tracking, GTD "43 Folders", and my A-Z reference index.

I use pencils almost exclusively in my planners, but when I do use a pen it's a Sharpie pen. I print on 28lb paper because I like the feel of it.
        Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

Mostly I keep lists. Inventories, to do, books I've read and so on. My FJN is more of a commonplace book than anything. I also draw floor plans for small houses. I also keep quotes I find interesting.

Would really like to know how sprialdexing thing works.
          List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Comment

Pen and Paper!

Very nice, eWalker. My own journaling efforts are much less ambitious, but travel journaling is really helpful. I like to use fountain pens with good paper. It's sometimes a bit of trouble when you're traveling, but worth the effort!

At work, I take notes on paper with my FPs. I'm an avid user of electronics, but when it comes to taking notes or journaling, you can't beat pen on paper. :-)

I like Rhodia, TWSBI, Exacompta, Paperblanks, Nanami Paper Seven Seas, and Kokuyo. You owe it to yourself to try some Tomoe River paper as found in a Hobonichi Planner, Nanami Paper Seven Seas journal, or Paper for Fountain Pens journal. Amazing stuff.
            Last edited by DaMacGuy; 02-08-2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
              Me too. I haven't looked it up on the Web yet and am wondering if the colors have to do with productivity etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                For all of these activities I prefer the Leuchtturm journals, particularly the very thin (60 page), medium-sized soft books that are no longer sold in the United States.
                Are these different from the Leuchtturm 1917 books? I saw the latter described in an article at everydaycarry.com referenced in a Field Notes tweet, and somebody commented that he uses Leuchtturm notebooks regularly, so I was wondering if they are available in stores. I think I may have seen one in our local art supply store.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                  @Moose & @GoStandford... Very,very short answer... I am still looking into this...

Name:	Chronodex 15 +date.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	295602

The Spiral, as you can see above, is kind of a single day time management chart, each section is a hour, where you color code your activities categories. Frequently used combined with Bullet Journaling.

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	295604

In the above picture:
                  work (red)
                  personal (blue)
                  and family (yellow)

HTH
                  Last edited by eWalker; 02-09-2015, 04:43 AM.
                  So much to catch up!

Comment

Originally posted by GoStanford View Post
                    Are these different from the Leuchtturm 1917 books? I saw the latter described in an article at everydaycarry.com referenced in a Field Notes tweet, and somebody commented that he uses Leuchtturm notebooks regularly, so I was wondering if they are available in stores. I think I may have seen one in our local art supply store.
                    The Leuchtturm 1917's are great too. I just find them heavier to carry.
                    ----
                    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

I have certain journals for keeping a diary, others for organizing lists of things to do, and some that I keep for translating in my Biblical Hebrew class. I actually find it easier to jot down my ideas and take notes on paper versus using an app. For all of these activities I prefer the Leuchtturm journals, particularly the very thin (60 page), medium-sized soft books that are no longer sold in the United States.
                      @Bchaplin Did you check Amazon.com? They have 163 products by Leuchtturm 1917! Maybe do you don´t have to wait for a trip to Germany to restock!

However, I do not think I'd use paper to make a complicated chart like the ones shown above. It seems to me that is a task better suited to a computer program like Excel.
                      It´s not complicated, it is a kind of color in template... I checked some videos about it... It may be useful to find free time on your day on a glance... Looks nice but not really useful for my organizational needs, but I like the look of it!
                      So much to catch up!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeon View Post
                        I am a planner nerd; I don't journal or sketch but I love to plan so much that I currently use two planners! I remember best by writing things down so I don't use any electronic planners or to-do lists.

The first is a compact Filofax with my DIYfish inserts (picture 5/"Check Lists"). You have to print and cut out these inserts, but they are by far the best inserts I've ever used and are definitely worth any hassle cutting/printing may cause. (I use Version 3, Styles 2 and 5 if anybody is interested.) My medium DOP houses my Filofax in the rear and my pencil pouch in the front zip section.

My second planner is a half letter size ARC Notebook from Staples. I call this notebook my Reference Binder. It houses my Goals/Goals Tracking, GTD "43 Folders", and my A-Z reference index.

I use pencils almost exclusively in my planners, but when I do use a pen it's a Sharpie pen. I print on 28lb paper because I like the feel of it.
                        @Aeon I took a look at the DIYfish inserts and found another visual sistem, the Hyperdex...

Name:	il_570xN.700424902_5pb2.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	295606
                        So much to catch up!

Comment

[QUOTE=eWalker;91655]@Bchaplin Did you check Amazon.com? They have 163 products by Leuchtturm 1917! Maybe do you don´t have to wait for a trip to Germany to restock!

Yes, a lot of varieties are offered. Mostly different exterior colors and choices of page ruling (line/dot/blank). They do not sell the 60 page version I like any longer, in the medium size.
                          ----
                          Edmund Burke

Comment

Since I started to pursue a more minimalist lifestyle I forgo a lot of "stuff", one of the hardest things to part from, were the books, replaced all thing digital (Kindle, tablet, cell phone...)

I just love the smell and fell of the paper!

Today I use paper for personal life long projects and planning. I have about a dozen of heavy hand made and bound books that I have been using for over 10 years...

Name:	1011344_685756211451293_798752676_n.jpg
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	295607

For work and more agile projects, I used Filofax and Moleskines, but now the Filofax has been completely replaced by cell phone apps and I am replacing the moleskines with Midori Notebooks.

I learned of this notebook because of my daughter... I like it because it is simple, highly customizable, and ages nicely, actually it has a kind of vintage look to it.

The other aspect I like is that it has several options of paper refill including some specific to use with fountain pens.

Name:	product-index-standard_img_04.jpg
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	295608
                            Last edited by eWalker; 02-09-2015, 08:15 AM.
                            So much to catch up!

Comment

I prefer pen and paper in general, but there are some things that you can do so much more easily with electronics so I'm kind of torn. I like a paper day planner, but I can sync my calendars with my husband's if we use Google Calendar, and I can access it through my phone or iPad or computer - whatever I've got in front of me at the time, so this actually get entered instead of me trying to do it later when I've got my planner.

And I do keep paper journals, but using an app like Day One lets me add photos instantly, and also puts the location and weather in a footnote without my having to do anything. I find this lends itself to quick notes about funny things my kids say, and also vacation journals.

But I think things out better on paper, so for working out more complicated ideas, I have a Moleskine notebook (regular size, but also a pocket size because... well, I don't know, but I do). I also am trying a Moleskine pocket day planner as a logbook (an idea I came across on this forum somewhere), and so far this year I've actually kept up with it. I like the pocket at the back of the book for collecting the occasional memento, and I'm going to put my kids'school photos in there as soon as I find them again. (Yep, I obviously need all the organizational help I can get.)

Comment

Working...
                              X