No announcement yet.

The Hobonichi Techo thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me about the carrying differences in the Techo and the Avec (6 mo) planners? They go in the same cover, correct? Do the covers allow you to carry BOTH 6 mo planners at the same time if needed? Or just one at a time? What is the weight of the Techo? Thanks in advance for any guidance! I would like to start a daily gratitude journal, and thought it might be a fun vessel for that. I also have looked at the Moleskine daily planners. Any thoughts on differences?

Comment

The Avec uses the normal cover. If you look at #6 on the Hobonichi website, you can see they show an Avec on one side and a notebook on the other. So both halves of the Avec should fit, though perhaps tightly if you paste lots of extras into your book: Hobonichi Techo Original - 4 Types of Hobonichi Techo Books - Hobonichi Techo 2017

The English planner weighs 7 oz and is really easy to carry. One thing to keep in mind is that the Avec is in Japanese so unless you can read it, the content inside won't be as useful for you, if that matters. One benefit of using the A6 size Techo or English planner is that you can use the Hobo book binding kit to turn it into a hardcover book as a keepsake. I could see this being very useful for journaling: https://www.1101.com/store/techo/pc/...tt_seihon.html

ETA: Compared to the Hobonichi, I like the moleskine paper much less. It's kind of scratchy sometimes. The daily journal comes in hard and soft cover versions, an option that can be nice. If you want to try out the Tomoe River paper in the Techo without committing to a Techo, you can buy a Traveler's Notebook daily diary, which has the same paper and holds two months' worth of entries. It's insert #005 and can be had at Amazon and other retailers for around $7. If you fill up a lot of these, there's a binder you can get to make the diary shelve-able.

@adalangdon: congrats on your new job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Badger; 09-04-2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks, @Badger!!

Comment

I'm buying the hobo tech and cousin - but not the covers which I know are collectible and fascinating. I'll be putting mine into A6 and A5 travelers notebooks, which allow more flexibility because I can add notebooks. I also like supporting small businesses on Etsy, those who make the covers. Kudos to those who collect hobo covers, but just putting this out there because there are other options...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

I decided to try out the Techo this coming year. I got it in English, as I wanted to enjoy the quotes, etc. I love the Avec format being so much lighter, so if I like it, I may do that the following year. I plan to use it as a daily memories/gratitude journal, but maybe also just as a running to-do list. We shall see. I need the weekly view for actual planning/schedule keeping. Perhaps the Cousin Avec will be my 2018! Time will tell.

Comment

so most important of all questions--what TB accessories fit the A6 techo best?!

Comment

I use the 3D Organizer Cube to hold a Techo and some Field Notes and some pens. The Techo will fit in the Field Journal Notebook and can fit in many of the mesh pockets in the various Freudian Slips. It fits in the Side Effect, a Size 2 stuff sack, the Travel Tray, the small outer pocket of the S25....it's a very handy size!

Comment

wow! thanks for that list, Badger!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                    Clearly, I was suffering from best-use paralysis.
                    I have been very curious about the hobonichi. I use my phone (ical and Todoist) so have no need of a notebook, but am tempted by them as I miss writing on paper. So I am gathering information about different styles and purposes and letting it settle to see if I feel like dipping my toe in. Your post is wonderfully detailed and very helpful. Thanks.

And I loved that 'best-use paralysis' - that is why I am hesitant to try a notebook. I even suffer from it with my Tom Bihn bags. When I'm using one, I think "..but perhaps that other one would be better for this..." but luckily you can fill and un-fill the bags to try them (part of the fun after all) but can't do the same with the notebook.

Comment

Random discovery-- a FN-sized notebook fits in the curved side pocket of a Cousin cover:

Last edited by adalangdon; 09-08-2016, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirri View Post
                        I have been very curious about the hobonichi. I use my phone (ical and Todoist) so have no need of a notebook, but am tempted by them as I miss writing on paper. So I am gathering information about different styles and purposes and letting it settle to see if I feel like dipping my toe in. Your post is wonderfully detailed and very helpful. Thanks.

And I loved that 'best-use paralysis' - that is why I am hesitant to try a notebook. I even suffer from it with my Tom Bihn bags. When I'm using one, I think "..but perhaps that other one would be better for this..." but luckily you can fill and un-fill the bags to try them (part of the fun after all) but can't do the same with the notebook.
                        I read this Kirri and thought, hey that's how I feel.

I've tried lots of notebook setups in search of perfection. I've tried moleskine, field journal, field notes, midouri travellers notebook, all online (Evernote) and a variety of custom planners like the Passion Planner on Kickstarter.

For now I'm going with the leuchtturm 1917 in A5 size. I have two, a normal dot grid and their bullet journal edition. One for work, one for private.
                        - They fit easily in the Field Journal, S25, SCB, Pilot and every other TB bag I might use.
                        - The hardback makes it easy to use on the go and the paper is of good quality
                        - The dots are a nice subtle balance between line, grid and blank and other features like index and page numbers are useful
                        - Lastly, the A5 size is just right for me to let myself have the space to scribble and be creative (the reason I'm using paper in the first place).

Like my bags, I'm hoping to stick with this one for a while rather than jumping about and it's looking good so far.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

So weird that this not about bag thread intrigues me. I've only been active on this forum a few months, but have been thinking about better journals for years. Is the TB forum bringing together or creating a community of like-minded folks?

I've used moleskine (hard and softbound), midori travelers journal (currently for Boy Scouts) and even email and MS Word, among others.

Currently I use thin softbound A5 books from Muji, which I frequent in Taipei, and each lasts about 3 months for work notes. I carry 2 at a tune in a paperish folder (also from Muji), and then the older one goes on the shelf.

Muji also sells passport sized notebooks, maybe you can see them on the shelf that fit the smaller travelers notebook, which I got at Eslite Bookstore in Taipei - a special Star Ferry edition I might add.

After reading and looking at the Techno, I have to say my solution is cheaper, and more flexible, but I wonder if the Techno would get me writing more (personally).

I've been around long enough to know spending $ on something doesn't make you utilize it. Exercise equipment comes to mind. What is it about a techo or Leuchtturm or other journal, or your experience with it that makes you find the time to use it?

Comment

slbear,
                            2017 will be my third year using Hobonichi planners. I love the design of them, the paper, the different grid colors every month in the Japanese A6 and A5 versions. But I have a near lifelong habit of writing every day. I'd do that regardless of the notebook, but I really like the Techo.

Comment

I didn't find myself having to "make space" for the Hobonichi. It's more like I knew that this was *the* solution I'd needed all along. The Cousin IMO has the best page-per-day layout on the market because it's semi-structured. I have a lot of dates and times to take note of on the job, so I love the timeline for that. The timeline is surrounded by a 'moat' of empty space for me to jot down any extras, when all the other planners I've seen have the whole page devoted to 9am to 7pm or no structure. It's perfect for me!

I find the Weeks harder to justify over other types of weekly planners because the page format is more conventional, but there's the quality of paper and the pretty covers.
                              Last edited by adalangdon; 09-10-2016, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Stalogy order help?

What have you all done...! From curiosity to a bit of research and suddenly I NEED to buy an expensive notebook, but which one, perhaps I NEED to try a couple.... It is the same pattern as my introduction to TB and look where that led. AARGH.

I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's set up. Perseffect, I was also definitely leaning towards the leuchtturn 1917 (let me know how it works for you) as I loved the bullet journal set up being right there for you, but then I read more about the Tamoe River paper. I used a Norton's Anthology English Literacy book at uni and I loved the incredibly thin paper. I'm guessing Tamoe River paper may be similar and so I am hooked now on that.

So.. a Hobonichi but don't want to wait to start using it until December. The obsession has taken hold and I want it NOW. Also I'm not quite sure about the day/page as I know I want to start writing daily, but I also want to do collections like a bullet journal. I've read about how others have combined the two, and I think if I had an A5 size, I could do it. But then I'd rather the Cousin, or the Avec, were in English. I also like the idea of the quotes (in the A6) but they also take up a lot of space on the page. With all these mixed up thoughts, I would probably still go for this, if I didn't have to wait to start it.

A traveler's notebook should be ideal in that you can have both a daily section and notes, but I don't like the shape. Seems too tall and narrow. I currently use a Rhodia small notebook (90 x 140mm) just for notes. It has a lovely feeling cover and paper, but is too tall for proper writing and with the lines, it fills up too fast. I can't write small enough with the lines there.

In the end, I have decided on a stalogy 365 as it has the thin paper, it can be used like a hobonici with the dates set so I write every day, or I can write and then continue as a bullet journal with other stuff, and then date a new page when ready.

The problem I am having is ordering one - I want to get the A6 size. (I'd love A5 but I think I wouldn't carry it around as much.) And have found I can order it from jet pens in the US, which would ship free to the US but is very pricy overseas. I'd prefer to order directly from Stalogy in Japan but can't figure out the website! Or even better from Australia, but can't find an Australian seller. If anyone can help with how to order from Japan or in Australia, please let me know.

Also I haven't actually placed the order yet, so would love any comments on what I have written (if you've waded through to the end!) if you have any advice/suggestions.
                                Last edited by Kirri; 09-11-2016, 02:11 PM. Reason: Typing without my first cup of tea

Comment

Working...
                                X