Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hobonichi Techo thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by eWalker View Post
    Really interesting lineup @Badger!

    ETA: I loved your sketches, specially the wolf!
    @eWalker As @Ilkyway previously commented elsewhere, you keep updating your posts with interesting links and pictures! Regarding @Badger's great sketches, I thought the subject was a certain well-known (to these forums, at least) Corgi personality.

    moriond

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by moriond View Post
      @eWalker As @Ilkyway previously commented elsewhere, you keep updating your posts with interesting links and pictures!
      Sorry... Sometimes as I try to write faster, the resulting post is confuse, doesn't look understandable or a sentence sounds rude or too harsh, brassy... So I try to repair it!

      My english writing skills are very far from desirable so I try to compensate with images and links.
      So much to catch up!

      Comment


        #18
        eWalker from one non-english to another: love your posts!

        I only wish you would put new links and additional thoughts in a new post JUST because I have the feeling I might miss a great idea of yours otherwise. Most of the times I just jump to tje last post of a thread to read on where I left off. This way it might happen, that I miss a new link or thought. That is the all of it. On the other hand: you keep me and my Synapses sharp and flexible and that is not so bad at all ;-).

        Ilkyway

        Edit: typed this on the phone this morning: meant NON-English, makes no sense otherwise... there you have. Reread this, had to edit it because... it did not make sense.
        Last edited by Ilkyway; 02-16-2015, 01:39 PM.
        “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

        By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by eWalker View Post
          I loved your sketches, specially the wolf!
          The "wolf" is Titus, my rather somnolent and gloomy corgi who is beginning the slow ponderous trudge towards his middle age spread, hahaha. He's pleased you think he is wolf-like.

          I did see all the cases and things, and while I liked them well enough, it seemed a bit much to me to put a notebook into a special snowflake notebook purse and then into my bag. For everyday carry, the Techo fits very well into a 3D Organizer Cube (along with all my other little notebooks and pens...).

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Badger View Post
            The "wolf" is Titus, my rather somnolent and gloomy corgi who is beginning the slow ponderous trudge towards his middle age spread, hahaha. He's pleased you think he is wolf-like.

            I did see all the cases and things, and while I liked them well enough, it seemed a bit much to me to put a notebook into a special snowflake notebook purse and then into my bag. For everyday carry, the Techo fits very well into a 3D Organizer Cube (along with all my other little notebooks and pens...).
            LOL @Badger Sorry for confusing Titus for a wolf... it´s the angle you used... it gave him a solene, almost severe look!

            About the case... It remind me of the FJN... Sometime ago we were discussing the possibility of a smaller FJN use with moleskines and similar format notebooks.

            Your thread got me thinking about kinds of paper... specially the Tomoe river paper... I am toying with idea making an A5 insert to use in a Midori like cover.

            I have to get myself distracted from thinking about my backorders and next month"s debuts... just deep breaths are not enough anymore... I am going to try some handwriting exercises now!

            Cheers!
            Last edited by eWalker; 02-16-2015, 03:22 PM.
            So much to catch up!

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
              Edit: typed this on the phone this morning: meant NON-English, makes no sense otherwise... there you have. Reread this, had to edit it because... it did not make sense.
              LOL @Ilkway That is what happen to me all the time!
              So much to catch up!

              Comment


                #22
                A mishap rendered my old planner totally unusable (the refill, that is...), so I thought I'd try out the standard Hobonichi. I use it as a planner, since for me writing is so much faster than hitting the wrong keys on my phone, backspacing, correcting, etc. Some observations:

                - This is probably as good a compromise as you can get between weight and features. It is really small for a *daily* planner! I found myself wishing it was even smaller and lighter, but I don't think that's possible for the diary itself. I do wish they'd make a lightweight fabric cover, though. (Parapack and dyneema covers for Hobonichi... ohemgee)
                - The 'cover-on-cover' thing struck me as silly at first, but the blue polyester cover doesn't seem to be made of the toughest material, so I slipped it on. Also, there is a ziplock-type mechanism on the spine area of the cover-on-cover that will allow you open the cover-on-cover to slip things inside. I put some decorative stuff underneath (see photos). But I think it could also be useful for holding something like a "DO THIS ASAP!!!" reminder post-it-- it won't come off, and it will also stay visible. Downside: it's relatively heavy. And it's one more surface that will stick to the urethane on your TB stuff.
                - Paper is strong and thin, with zero seepage with the wettest of my rollerballs (Rotring Free Ink RB cartridge-- really wet, really thick ink). However, as you might expect with paper that is so non-absorbent, the ink takes a long time to dry. So I ended up with some unsightly smudges when I got a little impatient. Fortunately I use a ballpoint most of the time, so this is not a big issue for me. However...
                - There are potential issues for ballpoint users too. If, like me, you use moderate pressure on a moderately scratchy ballpoint, there will be deep pressure marks left on the pages behind the one you're writing on. Also, if you're writing on a page that has ink on the other side, the ink on the other side will transfer to the facing page. (See photo.)

                That aside, I like this planner. What appeals to me most of all is the open grid with just a 12 noon mark. I can do anything with a page like that! As for the paper and smudges, etc-- meh, whatever. My planners have never looked pretty on the inside so smudges etc. are nothing new, and I appreciate the weight and size savings afforded by TR paper. BTW, it fits nicely in a SCB, but much will depend on your load-out. (See photos)

                Cover
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5668.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	295723

                Ink transfer issue
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5669.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	295724

                In a SCB
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5670.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	295725
                Last edited by adalangdon; 02-23-2015, 05:19 AM.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Badger View Post
                  Panda bank

                  [ATTACH]10322[/ATTACH]

                  Mr. You-Know-Who

                  [ATTACH]10323[/ATTACH]



                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  You have nothing to apologize for in your drawings. Those are very nice. I think the more one doodles or draws, the better you get.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by adalangdon View Post

                    - Paper is strong and thin, with zero seepage with the wettest of my rollerballs (Rotring Free Ink RB cartridge-- really wet, really thick ink). However, as you might expect with paper that is so non-absorbent, the ink takes a long time to dry. So I ended up with some unsightly smudges when I got a little impatient. Fortunately I use a ballpoint most of the time, so this is not a big issue for me. However...
                    - There are potential issues for ballpoint users too. If, like me, you use moderate pressure on a moderately scratchy ballpoint, there will be deep pressure marks left on the pages behind the one you're writing on. Also, if you're writing on a page that has ink on the other side, the ink on the other side will transfer to the facing page. (See photo.)
                    It's well known by most fountain pen users that ink takes a little time to dry on the Tomoe River paper. Same applies to those using other TR paper journals - it's suggested that one use a blotter paper over the freshly written page to keep ink from smudging on the previous page. NanamiPaper.com and Hobonichi also sell writing pads (plastic sheet) that go under the page you're writing on if you tend to press heavily when using a ballpoint or rollerball. Not as much of a problem if your pen has free-flowing ink. The paper feels just wonderful if you use a fountain pen.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by adalangdon View Post
                      - There are potential issues for ballpoint users too. If, like me, you use moderate pressure on a moderately scratchy ballpoint, there will be deep pressure marks left on the pages behind the one you're writing on. Also, if you're writing on a page that has ink on the other side, the ink on the other side will transfer to the facing page.
                      @adalangdon Did you consider a Hobonichi Pencil Board?

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424676450755.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	295726

                      Hobonichi Pencil Board - Accessories Lineup - HOBONICHI TECHO 2015
                      So much to catch up!

                      Comment


                        #26
                        @adalangdon There is another alternative... You may use a printable Hobonichi like planner layout for A5 or A6 (There are several available @ Etsy.com), print it on TR paper (found @ JetPens.com), and place it in a MTN like cover.

                        By doing this you may divide your planner into sections and carry only what you need eg. one trimester. I particularly found of this idea.

                        You may find several hand made of every possible size and materials by artisans @ Etsy.com or use an German industrial version that @ilkway just introduced me to, that has several cover options with many sizes and capacities.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424677346311.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	295727

                        X17: Ringbuch mit Ringen, Organizer, Terminplaner, Terminkalender, Notizbuch A4, A7, A6, A52015, 2016

                        HTH
                        Last edited by eWalker; 02-22-2015, 11:49 PM.
                        So much to catch up!

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by DaMacGuy View Post
                          It's well known by most fountain pen users that ink takes a little time to dry on the Tomoe River paper. Same applies to those using other TR paper journals - it's suggested that one use a blotter paper over the freshly written page to keep ink from smudging on the previous page. NanamiPaper.com and Hobonichi also sell writing pads (plastic sheet) that go under the page you're writing on if you tend to press heavily when using a ballpoint or rollerball. Not as much of a problem if your pen has free-flowing ink. The paper feels just wonderful if you use a fountain pen.
                          Yes, I knew about this from Fountain Pen Network.

                          As for the pen marks, I may get a plastic sheet though it may be troublesome to use when I'm writing down appointments, etc. away from my desk (which often the case). May just switch to a gel pen for this paper, since those are much easier to write with than my favourite cheapo ballpoint...

                          Comment


                            #28
                            To avoid "denting" the paper or transferring ink, use a plastic writing board. Also some inks do bleed, so it's best to do ink tests in the back of the Hobo before using. I also use an old fashioned blotter.
                            The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              The paper looks really nice, is there a way to find loose leaves?

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by backpack View Post
                                The paper looks really nice, is there a way to find loose leaves?
                                It's Tomoe River paper and you can buy loose leaves on Amazon, jetpens, etc.


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X