Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,174   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel bottles for cosmetics/toiletries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of travel-size bottles do you use in your 3-1-1 kit? I have a set of Nalgene bottles, but they are a little frustrating because they don't have squeeze-type tops so I always end up dumping a lot of shampoo out onto my hand. Then there are the GoToobs, but I keep hearing they react to certain ingredients (such as silicone, which is popular in many hair care products). I'm not ready to switch over to solid bar shampoos.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!

I have a set from Bed, Bath & Beyond. I don't actually know what they are made of, but they come in 2oz and 3oz sizes with different colored caps so they're easy to tell apart. I switched to the 2oz size last year, which is still large enough to get me through a 1-2 week trip but small enough to let me fit extra stuff into my 3-1-1 kit.

I haven't had any issues with them reacting to any contents, and my oldest bottles were in use for a couple of years before I downsized. I also like that the bottles are available individually, so you can pick just as many as you need. And they're only about $1 each IIRC.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

I'll have to check next time I am there. I'm always amazed at how little shampoo etc. I actually use.

Were they in the section near the front of the store where they sell beauty stuff, do you recall?

Originally posted by Meglet View Post
      I have a set from Bed, Bath & Beyond. I don't actually know what they are made of, but they come in 2oz and 3oz sizes with different colored caps so they're easy to tell apart. I switched to the 2oz size last year, which is still large enough to get me through a 1-2 week trip but small enough to let me fit extra stuff into my 3-1-1 kit.

I haven't had any issues with them reacting to any contents, and my oldest bottles were in use for a couple of years before I downsized. I also like that the bottles are available individually, so you can pick just as many as you need. And they're only about $1 each IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
        I'll have to check next time I am there. I'm always amazed at how little shampoo etc. I actually use.

Were they in the section near the front of the store where they sell beauty stuff, do you recall?
        In the ones here, they're in the travel/sample section that is near the beauty stuff.
        Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

I get mine from places that sell candle/bath products supplies, as I also use them for packaging of the items I make (hobbyist only, I don't sell). You can also find small quantities on Etsy.
          Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

I've been able to find some travel bottle from REI with a flip top like this one:

Boston Round Bottle - 4 fl. oz. - REI.com

That's a 4 oz size, but I have several 1 oz sizes that I got in the store. I tend to use Aveda and they make a 1.7 oz travel bottle that I can refill. Works for a 10 day trip for my longish hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Greetings,
              For liquids, I've switched to eye drop style bottles (like Visine bottles). They have a screw on top and are leak proof. Only a tiny drop comes out at a time, so I use only the amount of product I need. The bottles come in different sizes. I buy eye drops, dump the product, and clean the bottles thoroughly, then fill with my liquid soap. Clear bottles, already empty, are available, too. Clear bottles are preferred, as the opaque bottles don't let you see how much product is left.

My experience with GoToobs was disappointing. I've heard that the caps must be seated correctly in order for them to be leak proof. My luggage was a mess from leaks every time I used them, despite using ziplock bags. Even the small size seems too big, the largest one seems enormous to me. They take up too much space in my 311 bag. I'm much happier with the eye drops style bottles.

Creams travel wonderfully well in contact lens cases. They are waterproof. I'm still adapting to the change. I use them for hand cream, conditioner (for hair, I use a thick cream style conditioner), calamine lotion, and triple antibiotic ointment. Contact lens cases stack well in 311 bags, taking up very little space.

The GoToob Tubs are great for tablets and dry stuff. I use them for vitamins, and snacks like almonds or raisins.

I'm still looking for a better container for toothpaste. Dry toothpaste is okay for a couple days, but I prefer regular tooth paste. The brand I use is for sensitive teeth, so I'd like to decant it into something more travel friendly. I'm thinking of watering it down and using an eye drop bottle. I only use a tiny dollop at a time, so a travel/trial size toothpaste can last me almost a month. I'm open to suggestions. elisa

Comment

@Alaskagirl, I've put toothpaste in a GoTub without problems. I've also used a container smaller than the GoTub that I got from a sample at a makeup store. It's a screw top so there are no leakage issues.

Comment

That looks ideal, but unfortunately, I'm nowhere near an REI store. I wonder if I could call a store and have them ship them to me?

Originally posted by Pokilani View Post
                  I've been able to find some travel bottle from REI with a flip top like this one:

Boston Round Bottle - 4 fl. oz. - REI.com

That's a 4 oz size, but I have several 1 oz sizes that I got in the store. I tend to use Aveda and they make a 1.7 oz travel bottle that I can refill. Works for a 10 day trip for my longish hair.

Comment

Rei does mail order happily. Look on the web site. They ship.

Comment

You know what would be great? A leakproof container for 1 oz bars of soap. You know, the sample or "hotel size" soaps.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
                        That looks ideal, but unfortunately, I'm nowhere near an REI store. I wonder if I could call a store and have them ship them to me?
                        Keep in mind that a 4 oz bottle will be too large for a carry-on liquids bag - those are limited to 3.4oz or less. I imagine you could find a smaller size of those on Amazon, though!

Edit: reading FAIL, Pokilani said they have 1oz sizes in the store.
                        Last edited by Meglet; 11-01-2015, 12:24 PM.
                        Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

The cap on the Boston Round Bottle is a style known for leaking. I've used similar bottles, with messy results. A quick look at the reviews at REI state that the Boston Round Bottle has leakage issues. It was not clear if the leak was from the cap or just poor quality control.

Most convenient dispensing "push tops" seem to leak. It's usually caused by two things. First, the caps are not leak proof. Second, the change in air pressure effects any air in the bottle. Eliminate these two issues and usually the problem solves itself. I avoid this style cap when traveling, but love them at home.

To overcome the air pressure issue, fill your container as full as possible. Leave as little air in the bottle as you can. Cover the opening with plastic wrap, then screw the cap on. It will not prevent all leaks, but seems to eliminate quite a few.

All liquids go into a zip lock freezer bag. Freezer bags are more durable than zip lock sandwich bags. Then for extra piece of mind, I place that bag into a second bag, with the zipper seals on opposite sides. One bag has the seal facing the bottom, while the other bag has the seal at the top. My caution is admittedly overkill. However, a friend asked me to bring back a bottle of perfume once. It appeared to be in a sealed package. The bottle was empty when the plane landed. The perfume ate holes in the ziplock bag. My suitcase reeked and had to be thrown out. A few of my clothes were ruined, along with a pair of shoes. I've learned to be cautious.

Leak proof containers are essential, as they avoid the hassles that inevitably come from leaky containers. Ziplock bags save the day, especially if I've sealed a container improperly.

Good luck! elisa

Comment

I've never had leakage issues at all for things like shampoo, conditioner, face wash, or hair product. Not once, ever.

ETA: I've also not had problems with GoToobs either.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
                              Leak proof containers are essential, as they avoid the hassles that inevitably come from leaky containers. Ziplock bags save the day, especially if I've sealed a container improperly.

Good luck! elisa
                              So true! I have not had any issues with my BBB bottles leaking, and I've taken them on planes, buses, ferries, and in cars. Most of the time I don't even put them in Ziplocs anymore, I just leave them in my blue zipped 3-1-1 bag.
                              Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X