Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,769   Posts: 190,601   Members: 6,653   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, bulletproofcharm.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My minimalist packing list.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all. It's been quite a while since the last time I posted a packing list. Some things have changed while others have stayed the same. Here's what I travel with on a daily basis -- a kit that is designed to allow me to travel almost anywhere. This kit fits comfortably in a Synapse 19, which I've had for five years now and haven't developed a single complaint about.

So without further ado, we'll start with clothes:

Outlier Core Pack
    OUTLIER Core Pack

Outlier Megafine Merino T-Shirt
    OUTLIER Ultrafine Merino T-Shirt

Icebreaker Seeker Shirt
    Amazon.com: Icebreaker Men's Seeker Long Sleeve Shirt: Sports & Outdoors

Outlier New Way Shorts
    http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/new-way-shorts.html

Outlier Socks
    OUTLIER Megafine Merino Socks

Woolly Clothing Boxers
    http://www.amazon.com/Woolly-Clothin...lothing+Boxers

Vivobarefoot Gobi II's
    http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/...i-leather-mens

Montbell Superior Down Jacket
    http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...01214&gen_cd=1

Patagonia Alpine Houdini
    http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...cket?p=85190-0

In the next post I'll cover my electronics.
    Last edited by Snowster; 12-10-2015, 06:47 PM.

Are you running Project Fi on your Nexus 6P, @Snowster?
    And another question: The Kikkerland travel adapter that you use does not have a surge protector, right? If you have traveled internationally, has that ever been a problem? I carry two fairly large bricks with me when I got to Nigeria, because they do have surge protectors, and I am always afraid of the sketchy wiring destroying my laptop or phone. Multiple times my colleagues or I have seen sparks shoot out when we plug something in.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Comment

Yes I'm on Fi. It gives me T-Mo's international data roaming rates, which are usually pretty agreeable with the options you have for prepaid sims in the area.

And the Kikkerland plug adapter doesn't convert the voltages of the plug, only the plug itself. This is pretty easy to deal with for me, since everything I charge does 110-240v current (the HooToo and my laptop charger).

I haven't been to Africa, though, so I don't know how it would handle a situation like that.

The biggest change in my gear in the past year or two has bene the inclusion of outlier clothing, and the change in cameras from an RX100 Mk3. to the A5100. Generally speaking, I shoot the majority of my shots with my 6P's camera, and only bring my dedicated camera if I'm somewhere I plan on purposefully taking pictures using lenses. The revelation that is android phone photography in the past year has been really helpful to people like me, IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the links. I have become a convert to merino and have been slowly investing in socks and then tshirts. Mostly SmartWool socks and two Icebreaker tshirts. I got myself into a WF for my last trip, in part, by using merino that I either rewore or washed in the hotel sink. What draws you to the Outlier products? I have read several different companies touting their version of Merino, but I don't have the wardrobe to compare many brands in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Outlier shirts are just much higher quality than Icebreaker T's. The long sleeve Icebreaker I own, on the other hand, is really high quality as well and something I'd recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowster View Post
            Yes I'm on Fi. It gives me T-Mo's international data roaming rates, which are usually pretty agreeable with the options you have for prepaid sims in the area.
            That's encouraging to hear. I bought a Nexus 5X and signed on to Project Fi a few months ago, but I haven't had a chance to travel with it yet. I've seen mixed reviews for a few countries, but in general it seems to work well for most people. It will not be helpful in the parts of Africa I travel to, but should work well in Europe.
            ----
            All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
            Edmund Burke

Comment

Hi,
              Sounds a very compact list...especially in a Synapse 19, Im guessing you may have room to spare?
              Do you have any pictures please??
              Thanks
              Jaffa
              S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Comment

Working...
              X