Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,200   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Efficiency of packing cubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efficiency of packing cubes?

I travel with an Aeronaut 45 and usually have it full (I hate traveling in my work clothes so the suit and shoes are usually packed).

I'm a roller by instinct and training. Everything get's rolled and as much of the computer equipment as I can get into the Aeronaut I do (the rest goes in my backpack).

Quite often on these forums I read of people jamming what I consider a reasonable amount into smaller bags using packing cubes.

I get the efficiency of compartmentalizing things with packing cubes. But is there some sort of magic to the packing cubes I don't understand going on? Do they have unique properties that fold space in arcane ways such that I can fit more in a A45/Brain Bag than I would rolling? I can't help but assume I'd have less space using a packing cube with the seemingly obvious notion that the cube itself takes up some space.

I'd love to hear first-hand experiences. Are the packing cubes simply an (effective) organizing tool? Or are they the ultimate solution for carrying everything I could possible want with me (Note -- I fall closer to the minimalist side of packing but that's more out of neccesity than proclivity).

For me, packing cubes are just a way to organize my things for quick retrieval, and keep the TSA's grubby paws off the clothes. Rolling is probably more space efficient. I just like to use the different colors to know what's where; night clothes in one place, pants in another, etc. When I traveled with my niece recently, I was able to give her her own packing cube, which was great for both of us.

If your system works, keep using it.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Comment

Using packing cubes doesn't negate rolling clothes. I roll then put the clothes in cubes. It does keep me more organized on the road.

Comment

I wondered the same thing after reading raves about packing cubes on so many forums (not just TB). I am also a long time roller and I am overall an organised and efficient packer as far as placing items in the best locations within a bag for easy retrieval and for fitting the most in. I wasnt sure if packing cubes would have any benefit for me.

I recently tried packing cubes on a two month trip for the first time and I am converted. I found the organisation they provide very useful as expected. However I also found it easier to squeeze more in because each cube can be stuffed if needed. Whether stuffed or not, the cubes themselves slide against each other and make each group of items seem to fit into a smaller space.

I still roll clothes within each cube and another advantage of the cubes is that if you remove items, you don't have to re-roll everything else as often as if all the clothes are loose together.

Having said all that, I don't think I did fit more into the bag than I would have without packing cubes. So it depends on whether you can be bothered trying them. I would recommend trying packing cubes and see what you think, but if you are already an organised packer, you probably don't need them... but you may like them. (Not a very definitive answer!) I will use packing cubes from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by tebnewyork View Post
          Using packing cubes doesn't negate rolling clothes. I roll then put the clothes in cubes. It does keep me more organized on the road.
          I was wondering about that. Are the cubes flexible enough and made of light enough material that unused space inside the cube can be effectively compressed?

Comment

The packing cube shoulder bag cubes that I use are NOT very space efficient at all. But I like the pretty colors.
            The more nondescript and precisely fitted packing cubes that Tom Bihn offers that are specific to each type of bag, made of mesh and a much lighter fabric, make better use of every square inch.
            ----
            All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
            Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by vsp View Post
              I was wondering about that. Are the cubes flexible enough and made of light enough material that unused space inside the cube can be effectively compressed?
              Yes. I don't have TB packing cubes as I already had a set. I bought them pre- finding out about TB and just did some research into the 'best' ones. They are structured and I can see what is in them, but very lightweight. Sorry, I can't remember the brand (!) but they are very common and highly recommended.

Comment

I also like packing cubes for compartmentalization, especially if I'm packing for variable weather. Clothing for different segments of a trip can be separated and I don't lose things in the bottom of a bag. I don't always use cubes for bulky items, but socks and underwear are always in a cube or stuff sack. And, as a trip progresses I gain a cube for laundry.

Comment

I wish someone had told me about packing cubes years ago. I found out about them last summer and they are great. I did a week long trip for the holidays and used my non-TB packing cubes in my new A45. As I was staying at my parents for the week, I just removed the packing cubes from the bag, unzipped them and place them in the dresser drawer with the clothes inside. When it was time to repack, I just zipped the packing cubes and put them back in the A45.

Comment

Originally posted by vsp View Post
                    Eagle Creek Specter line is made of the thinnest and lights material around. They also make compression cubes.. There are some other product lines that are super lightweight.

I don't feel like I lose any space at all using the cubes. I tend to use smaller cubes and pack them tight which is a bit different than how some of the larger Tom Bihn cubes seem to get packed. I'm trying out TB cubes but am not ditching my eagle creek set.

Comment

I use the TB roll in one of the side pockets of my Aeronaut30. I have a few drawstring bags for fiddly bits so I can keep them together on the plane tray, and packing cubes for groups of things (swimsuit parts, etc) my other clothes can be in the main compartment packed in where they fit.
                      In general though I have several EC spectres ready for "cold, cold weather" or "tropical weather" most clothes I have are built for every temperature with a few additions to tweak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

During my last trip I tried packing different winter "outfits" in individual EC Spectre 1/2 size cubes in the main compartment of my A30 and that seemed to work really well (I think I got that idea from these forums--can remember who --maybe someone else can help me!). What was nice about that arrangement was that I could just put them back in a cube when they were dirty and didn't have to worry about the clean and dirty clothes mingling. I did end up take a PCSB as well--which fit really nicely stuffed into the end pocket of my A30. I don't think I fit more but it definitely kept me more organized. (Qualifier: I do have one EC Spectre compression cube--that one does take up considerably less space, but it has more zippers, so a bit heavier).
                        A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

Comment

Originally posted by trailrunner View Post
                          During my last trip I tried packing different winter "outfits" in individual EC Spectre 1/2 size cubes in the main compartment of my A30 and that seemed to work really well (I think I got that idea from these forums--can remember who --maybe someone else can help me!). What was nice about that arrangement was that I could just put them back in a cube when they were dirty and didn't have to worry about the clean and dirty clothes mingling.
                          I generally prefer this method for my A30.

Originally posted by trailrunner View Post
                          I did end up take a PCSB as well--which fit really nicely stuffed into the end pocket of my A30. I don't think I fit more but it definitely kept me more organized.
                          I don't fly much, but a PCSB or SCB would be my pull-out item of choice. Even on a car trip where I don't need that functionality, I usually have one end pocketed filled with the same kind of stuff. Alternatively, an EC Spectre Half Cube fits if needed.

Agreed. Sometimes I fold, and sometimes I roll.

[mention]vsp[/mention] I recommend EC Spectre cubes in the half or quarter size.

Comment

If you're looking for ultralightweight packing cubes, besides the Eagle Creek Specter line, Lewis & Clark has their Featherweight and Electrolight lines, and eBags has a new line of ultralightweight cubes.

For compressions/expandable cubes, Eagle Creek has regular and Specter ones, Lewis & Clark also have them in their Featherweight and Electrolight lines, REI has a set including a long/tube cube (the only one with such a size), and Travelon has a cube that is thicker than all the others.

The nice thing about the non-Specter cubes is that they have mesh tops and zip fully on three sides making it easier to pack.
                            Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

Yeah, realizing this helped me refine my packing strategy. By grouping my rolled items into cubes, I'm able to compartmentalize and re-arrange items in certain groupings. I get the organization and quick unpack of cubes, with the space savings of rolling.

Makes it way easier when I'm looking for a certain item - I find I also unpack less once on location, so less packing up when I leave (if I'm going through multiple intermediate destinations.)

Comment

Working...
                              X