Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,185   Members: 6,708   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, drkrokr.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taxis and transit apps for Belgium/Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ellsass View Post
    Google Maps (which has transit directions) and the DB app are the best overall. Don't bother with the "DB Ticket" app.

Figure out the transit authority for each city/region you're visiting and look for their app. Sometimes they will have more specific information and/or the ability to buy tickets via the app. This is especially useful if you're not sure if/when you'll be taking a local train or bus—when it happens, just open the app and buy a ticket and you're all set, no need to find exact change or a ticket machine.

This app Ally - Your local transport app works well in Cologne, for example, but it doesn't cover a whole lot of cities. Nice interface, though.

For offline maps, I like Galileo the best and I've tried a bunch. Unfortunately if you make custom Google maps you have to import then manually, they don't automatically update, and the icons won't match. My Pins has that functionality, but it's not offline and has some other quirks, so you might as well use the official Google Maps app if you want icons and live updating (e.g. if you add/remove points of interest during the trip, or if you carefully organize POIs into restaurants/sights/etc).
    The iOS App Store URL for this app:
    • ally: public transport, bike, car share and taxi route planner by Door2Door GmbH
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ally...634147771?mt=8

Never get lost again - ally will navigate cities’ complex transport systems for you, so you can kick back and enjoy the ride!

ally incorporates all transit modes - whether that be foot, cycle, public transport, bike sharing, car sharing or taxi - giving you a definitive overview as to which route is cheaper, faster and smarter for you to take. With live information, real time data and transit reports, ally shows you all the information you need to make city transit stress-free. Welcome to our community of smart commuters!

FEATURES

- A to B trip planner - whether via the search bar or using the dynamic map, easily find the best routes, no matter where you are.
    - Home and work shortcuts - your saved home & work addresses will appear in the drop down autosuggest menu for your search!
    -Nearby- See all your nearby transport options at a glance through the icons on your home screen map!
    - Live transit info- always know what is going on in your city- tap on the feed tab to see a twitter integrated live feed showing travel updates from all the relevant sources.
    - Apple Watch- ally supports Apple Watch! Find the best way home or to work… on your wrist!
    - Plenty more features in planning and development...
    And many more on the way… watch this space!

ally CITIES:

- Austria: Wien
    - Denmark: Copenhagen
    - Switzerland: Zürich
    - Italy: Milan, Venice, Bologna, Varese, Molfetta, Bari, Palermo, Matera, Rome
    - UK: London, Belfast
    - Ireland: everywhere!
    - Australia: Brisbane, Sydney, Perth
    - US: New York City and State, Philadelphia
    - South Africa: Cape Town
    - Singapore
    - Columbia: Bogota
    - Argentina: Buenos Aires, Cordoba, San Rafael, Mendoza
    - Chile: Castro, Concepcion, Valparaiso, Santiago, Osomo, Puerto Montt
    - Peru: Lima
    - Mexico: Mexico City
    - Tanzania: Dar-Es-Salaam
    - Kenya: Nairobi
    - Brazil: Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paolo, Santa Caterina, Curitiba, Porto Alegre
    - Portugal: everywhere!
    - South Korea: Seoul
    - Poland: Warsaw
    - India: Bangalore, New Delhi

And many more on the way… watch this space!

Note: continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.

The app is free, but the current version requires iOS 8.0 or later. I've given the link to the US app store version (for @bchaplin), but it should resolve to the correct version in other countries. They seem to have the largest number of supported cities in Germany, which oddly doesn't get listed in the app description.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 02-17-2016, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Wow, thanks! I did not see the comment by @Ellsass earlier - this is fantastically useful. I see that Ally's programmers come from Berlin, and so Germany is pretty well-covered. Downloaded... and thanks, too, @moriond, for the link and info.

@K9TB - absolutely. Google Maps is wonderful, even if it is used offline, and the screenshot idea is very clever. Their transit directions just get better and better.
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
        I see that Ally's programmers come from Berlin, and so Germany is pretty well-covered.
        Be sure to cross check it with your itinerary. On my trip in December it only covered one of the four German cities with developed city transit that I visited.

If you're going to Munich, also grab the the official MVV app. You can purchase tickets and passes on the go (i.e. when you find yourself unexpectedly waiting at the tram stop) and make use of electronic tickets instead of keeping track of paper (you'll get a barcode to show the rare ticket inspector that you come across, and it's stored offline on your phone so no worries about connectivity). I'm sure many other cities offer this as well but it's likely only going to work via their official app.

Comment

Working...
        X