Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,822   Posts: 191,267   Members: 6,717   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, dougwierzba2.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packing list app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packing list app

What is everyone's favorite packing list app? I've been playing around with Travel List and I love the design. But I wish it had an extra sort field for "packing location" (main bag, carry on, to wear, etc) so that once I've created my list by category I could then sort it by packing location when actually packing.

I normally use Evernote. I write things down in categories, and then move then into bags when they are packed.

Comment

Lately I've been using the built-in iOS notes app to create checklists for packing.

Comment

I am a big fan of Paperless for iOS https://appsto.re/us/qrOBv.i

I use it for my grocery shopping too. The app makes it very easy to get items in (including paste from plain text and add new item via a failed search like Notational Velocity). It can also optionally keep the checked off items hanging around so they can be easily restored to unchecked status for a future endeavor.

Comment

I use Packing Pro. It includes a Bag field for item on the list, and when you're ready to pack, you can filter the list by bag. It's easy to build lists from the master catalog of items (which you can edit to meet your needs). Lists can be reused, so you don't have to start from scratch each time you travel. Lists sync among iOS devices, and can be emailed as .csv files. I originally bought the app on a whim (I'm an admitted app junkie...), but Packing Pro -- and its companion app, Shopping Pro -- have both earned space on the home screen of my iOS devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
          Last edited by Gumby; 01-29-2016, 10:40 PM.
          Synapse 19 & 25, Co-Pilot, Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, A45, A30, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Comment

I've tried a few apps, including Packing Pro, but keep coming back to a Microsoft Word document. I find it easier during the packing process to have it printed out so I can physically check things off and add notes. I keep a copy in Dropbox as well so I can access it any time.
            ----
            All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
            Edmund Burke

Comment

Packing list app

I use a Word doc too. I built a list with all items I might use, as well as a space for what luggage and packing cubes used, as well as work bag. I have two lists per page. I add date, length, destination and reason. Afterwards, I update to note what I liked or not and what didn't get used. I save them all so I can reference later.

It's not really as efficient and organized as it might sound but it's a lot fun. [emoji1]

Never thought to use DropBox. That's a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been trying different to-do apps for work, and rediscovered one called Trello (web, iOS, Android, etc) the other day. Despite wanting to use it for work, I messed around with adding a board to it for my Cadet then placing cards on the board for all of the bags and organization spots and what goes in them. Then if I get a new stuff sack or a new bag I can drag and drop them around or even add them to a new board.
                Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Comment

I use Packing Pro ... It's served me well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use OmniOutliner for checklists and tracking weight (for backpacking).
                    Last edited by brucep; 01-30-2016, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I do the same as BChaplin. Create and edit the list in Word, store it in Dropbox. This way I can access it on any device.
                      Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

Put me in the old school camp with bchaplin and Frank II. Over the years, I have created several Excel spreadsheets that I store in a Travel folder on Dropbox. They are tailored for different types of trips, e.g., short visit; international trip; hiking trip; ski trip. If I am trying new gear, clothes, or bags, I will annotate the spreadsheet post-trip as to what worked well and what did not work or was not needed (I do this is a Notes column at the far right of the sheet). For long trips, the spreadsheet has a separate tab which I use to figure out my budget and plans for carrying US or foreign currency. When it's time to pack for a trip, I create a duplicate copy of one of the "master" lists, add or delete items as appropriate, then print the spreadsheet minus the Notes column. This may sound a bit complicated, but it isn't. Since the items on each list are quite specific (e.g., Western Flyer, Side Effect, blue checked Ex Officio shirt, E-M1 camera + 12-40mm lens), I don't have to re-invent the wheel or anguish over choices for each trip. This, of course, may not be a problem for you, but I created the lists because I found myself repeating the same decision process each time I traveled.

Comment

I too am of the old school. Creating my packing lists in Word. It gives me infinite flexibility to make my lists as precise as I want. I have a section for each bag, pouch, sack, each section of my Tri-Star or Aeronaut 30, each packing cube, Q kit and wallet. Anal? Yes. Efficient? Absolutely. I can be very precise whether packing for a holiday or a job. The lists are saved, added to dropbox but also printed. Nothing like a clipboard and a red pencil to check items off. Sitting in the airport for my return journey, I amend the list to work better. I don't mind being old school it's how I function best. After trying to go totally digital for work I found it didn't work for me and went back to my Hobonichi and my To Do and Packing lists. Write it down and check it off.

Comment

Originally posted by monisbrett View Post
                            I too am of the old school. Creating my packing lists in Word. It gives me infinite flexibility to make my lists as precise as I want.
                            Me too! Also because I am generally packing for and with a family so we all have to refer to and cross off items.

As far as to do lists, I rely on Todoist both at home and work. It is excellent for me but does seem to have a weird approach to dealing with customer issues - eg there are desperate requests for features that are years old but instead they rebranded. Having said that, if it works for you as is, it is a great app.

However I still write a list using todoist for each weekend day for all of us to use. The problem with being married to a Luddite! :-)
                            Last edited by Kirri; 01-31-2016, 12:53 PM. Reason: Fix autocorrect

Comment

Evernote. What I like is that I can organize ALL of my travel paperwork in one app.
                              Eat well, travel often.

Comment

Working...
                              X