Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,184   Members: 6,708   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, drkrokr.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've converted my packing list from an Excel doc to Airtable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've converted my packing list from an Excel doc to Airtable.

https://airtable.com

It's been a seamless process so far, and something I highly recommend.

I've been using airtable for about a month now to set up some inventories (not packing related - yet) and like it very much so far. Have two things I want to be able to do that I can't figure out yet...reorder attachments and move items from one table to another within the same DB. Those things would be really helpful for my purposes. Now you've got me thinking about how to use it for a packing list, which I hadn't even considered. I'm currently packing for a winter photography camping trip, and typically use Word tables with checkboxes, modifying as needed based on the type of trip and climate. I'll have to give my list from this trip a try. Do you use one big table and sort within that or do you separate your tables by category (e.g. toiletries, electronics, outerwear, etc), or maybe separate by TB bag? Hmmm...lots of possibilities. I'm curious what has worked best for you.

Comment

Airtable looks very cool!
      Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Comment

I had never heard of it before this thread & just downloaded it. I think it will be great for keeping an inventory of all sorts of gear (travel, photography, etc.). Maybe I'll start a Tom Bihn gear table...

Comment

Originally posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
          I've been using airtable for about a month now to set up some inventories (not packing related - yet) and like it very much so far. Have two things I want to be able to do that I can't figure out yet...reorder attachments and move items from one table to another within the same DB. Those things would be really helpful for my purposes. Now you've got me thinking about how to use it for a packing list, which I hadn't even considered. I'm currently packing for a winter photography camping trip, and typically use Word tables with checkboxes, modifying as needed based on the type of trip and climate. I'll have to give my list from this trip a try. Do you use one big table and sort within that or do you separate your tables by category (e.g. toiletries, electronics, outerwear, etc), or maybe separate by TB bag? Hmmm...lots of possibilities. I'm curious what has worked best for you.
          I've done it table by table for categories (Clothing, Electronics, Toiletries, Misc.)

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I think we might be using this one as a homeschool scheduler too.
            current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Comment

Airtable has been great in my usages of it for work (phone call logging, specifically) and in the past I've used Trello for my packing lists, but I think I may experiment with Airtable now, and see if it can fit how I like to use spreadsheets and databases.
              Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Comment

Originally posted by DeBru View Post
                Thanks for the tip! I think we might be using this one as a homeschool scheduler too.
                Have you checked out Homeschool Tracker? I've used that one for years. It's fabulous!

Comment

Working...
                X