Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,766   Posts: 190,583   Members: 6,645   Active Members: 253
Welcome to our newest member, YSAKit5982.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long-Term Synapse 19 Packing List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long-Term Synapse 19 Packing List

Thought I'd share my packing configuration for the S19, which is a very nice size for international and long term travel!

Here's a photo of the contents:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313 - Copy.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	312199

Left to Right, top to bottom:
    Side Effect, containing EDC
    Small EC Packing Cube, containing rain jacket, socks and underwear
    3D Clear Cube, containing toiletries
    Sunglasses, earplugs and water bottle
    Medium EC Packing cube, containing pants, shirts, washcloth and PJs
    Puff coat
    Mini Halcyon Pouch, containing first aid kit
    Book!
    Travel Tray, containing snacks, converter, cup & spork

Here's a photo of the comfortably packed S19 (navy/wasabi <3)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314 - Copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	312200

(This is my first post, so please let me know if there's anything I can fix/correct)
    S19 + DLBP + DLBC + SCB + TT

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
    --Douglas Adams

Very well done! Synapse 19 is such a good bag.

Comment

So impressed you can pack all your stuff in the S19! How many extra set of clothes do you bring? What shoes do you wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pok -- As far as clothing, I generally pack 2 shirts, 1 pair of pants, 1 pair of socks, and 2 pairs of underwear. I just wash what I'm wearing when I shower.
        I have a nice pair of Teva shoes that work for hiking, walking and dressier occasions. They're also waterproof...I hate wearing soggy shoes.

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
        --Douglas Adams

Comment

Nice, Turtlewax! I haven't had a chance to test mine for travel yet.
          I pack pretty minimally too, but not quite as much as you (being female is occasionally a disadvantage  )
          I pack a kindle instead of a book, though. A paperback like that would be gone in about one four hour flight for me.
          Last edited by Kerrpe; 04-02-2016, 06:49 PM.
          “Order and simplification are the first steps towards mastery of a subject” ― Thomas Mann

Comment

I have been thinking about a small first aid kit -- mostly after I created a full Tom Bihn first aid kit and came to accept that I probably don't need to carry that many supplies in my EDC.

What supplies do you consider important enough for you mini first aid kit?

Comment

Very impressed. Hoping to get a synapse soon/one day. Great bag and impressively minimal packing. Thanks for a great first post.

Comment

Kerrpe, I am female also! I think it ends up being a bit of a trade. My clothes (especially underwear) are smaller than most men's. Toiletries do differ, but I don't have to pack any specialty shaving equipment, just a mini razor.
                The reason I bring a book is because I love making 'book trades'. I'll go to used bookstores and ask to trade my book for one of theirs (sometimes I throw one unit of local currency in to sweeten the deal!). I also have the Kindle app on my phone, but sometimes I really want a real book.

Fulton, I think the contents of a first aid kit should vary from person to person, but I have found the mini pouch to be the absolute best size for me.
                I usually keep the following in it: Moleskine, plasters, pain meds, dramamine, a small tin of Tiger balm, 2-5 varying bandages, 2 alcohol wipes.
                The liquids have to be kept in my toiletry kit (there's plenty of spare room for them), and usually includes ibuprofen cream and a couple single-use sleeves of neosporin.
                Last edited by TurtleWax; 04-03-2016, 09:43 AM.

--Douglas Adams

Comment

Hi,
                  Impressive packing list..could you let us know what shoes do you use?.
                  Also, what does everything weigh, I tend to find my clothing isn't too bad, it's everything else that's the problem..thanks
                  Jaffa (also female)
                  S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Comment

For my most recent trip, a combination of trekking in cold/wet weather and city slicking, I used my Teva De La Vina ankle boots.
                    The weight is a very good question, I don't have my bag packed up currently, so I can't weigh it. It was so lightweight that there was never a need to check if it fit airline requirements.
                    The heaviest parts were probably the book and the liquids in my toiletry kit. I find that most of the weight when packing comes from having lots of electronics, lots of liquids, or overpacking snacks and cutlery. Spare shoes can also add a significant amount.
                    Sorry, I can't be more specifically helpful, I would try weighing the things you pack individually and use that to determine where to cut back.

(P.S. The best approximation I have is that it's under 15 lb because it didn't get taken away on Stobart Air)
                    Last edited by TurtleWax; 04-03-2016, 12:40 PM.

--Douglas Adams

Comment

Greetings Turtlewax,
                      Very nice packing list. Did you have extra room in the Synapse19? I bring a down travel pillow, which does compress, but then I don't have any spare room. I find the Synapse25 just perfect, but aspire to travel comfortably in the S19 one day.

As a female, one-bag and/or ultra-lightweight travel has been a fun challenge. I've got my clothes down to the "wear one, pack one" level. Toiletries have been decanted into minimalist, travel friendly, leak-proof containers. I've eliminated excess liquids, taking just the amount I'll use on the trip. I've converted to dry products where it's convenient to do so.

I'm always looking for ways to pack better and lighter. Tom Bihn products seem tailor made for me, yet are versatile for any style of travel.

Thanks for sharing your packing list and photos! elisa

Comment

Elisa -- I can add a spare pair of Vans sneakers (size 9.5) and my 12" laptop (and cables) in the Synapse as I have it packed there, but then the poor thing is stuffed. I don't think I'd be able to easily access its contents with it that overpacked.
                        Depending on the weather, the omission of my down jacket would free up a decent amount of room. Same with the book.

Btw, which products have you converted to dry? I've only had luck with tooth powder and sunscreen bars. It's so nice to lighten the load by omitting liquids.

Edit: Can you stuff the pillow into a size 1 travel stuff sack? If so it is very similar in size to my coat in these pictures, and could fit into a side compartment in the S19. If it's more like a size 2, then it would still fit in the main compartment, but would fill the bag up considerably.
                        Last edited by TurtleWax; 04-04-2016, 09:48 AM.

--Douglas Adams

Comment

I use lotion bars, dry shampoo, tooth powder, stick sunscreen, deoderant crystal and cocoa butter stick. Works well as a dry kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang little Fred that's impressive.
                            Do you end up with no liquids in your bag at all?!
                            I'm always stuck with contact soln and antiperspirant.

--Douglas Adams

Comment

Great post and beautiful bag. What rain jacket are you packing in the small EC cube?

Comment

Working...
                              X