Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,766   Posts: 190,563   Members: 6,642   Active Members: 255
Welcome to our newest member, cleyon.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long-Term Synapse 19 Packing List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talkshop90
    replied
    Thanks for posting this. I bought a S19 a couple of weeks ago with the goal of using it for my next trip. I did a test run, and it worked well, but my problem is the little extra odds and ends. My clothes and toiletries are pretty minimal, but somehow I end up filling up my 28L backpack overtime.

Leave a comment:

• kathryn
    replied
    Originally posted by TurtleWax View Post
    I think everybody should have room to bring something they love with them!
    Word! Even if it's tiny, having something like that can be so comforting when travel hiccups happen. For me, it's a music player so I can go semi-fugue state and block out the world for a few.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• TurtleWax
    replied
    I think everybody should have room to bring something they love with them! If that means traveling with an S25 or an A30, so be it.
    I am fond of snacks and books, and though I could omit them and lighten my load, I choose not to.

Leave a comment:

• flaneuse
    replied
    Great job Turtle Wax! I love reading and learning from everyone's minimal 1-bag packing lists. You pack a lot like me, although I admit I find it difficult to fit everything I like to take for travel into a S19. Mostly bc I like to knit, and the extra project usually pushes me into S25 territory.

Leave a comment:

• TurtleWax
    replied
    I see that you have a contact case in your clear bag, how do you do contacts without liquids? I could probably use a stick deodorant for a few days, but I can't think of an alternative for my contact solution.

Edit: Or...do you just wear glasses?

Leave a comment:

• fredlet
    replied
    Originally posted by TurtleWax View Post
    Dang little Fred that's impressive.
    Do you end up with no liquids in your bag at all?!
    I'm always stuck with contact soln and antiperspirant.
    I can be completely without liquids, I find it easier when I'm doing tiny trips.

Leave a comment:

• fredlet
    replied
    [QUOTE=fredlet;121287]I use lotion bars, dry shampoo, tooth powder, stick sunscreen, deoderant crystal and cocoa butter stick. Works well as a dry kit.

2-3 days in the Tom Bihn Night Flight Travel Duffle – fredlets travels
    2-3 days in the Tom Bihn Night Flight Travel Duffle – fredlets travels

Leave a comment:

• TurtleWax
    replied
    I pack the Patagonia Houdini. The thing is an absolute beast.
    It offers no warmth on its own, so it works for summer torrents or the middle of winter. It is so light and thin that it barely exists. I am sometimes scared that I will tear it, but it hasn't happened yet.

Leave a comment:

• Travelin'Light
    replied
    Great post and beautiful bag. What rain jacket are you packing in the small EC cube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• TurtleWax
    replied
    Dang little Fred that's impressive.
    Do you end up with no liquids in your bag at all?!
    I'm always stuck with contact soln and antiperspirant.

Leave a comment:

• fredlet
    replied
    I use lotion bars, dry shampoo, tooth powder, stick sunscreen, deoderant crystal and cocoa butter stick. Works well as a dry kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• TurtleWax
    replied
    Elisa -- I can add a spare pair of Vans sneakers (size 9.5) and my 12" laptop (and cables) in the Synapse as I have it packed there, but then the poor thing is stuffed. I don't think I'd be able to easily access its contents with it that overpacked.
    Depending on the weather, the omission of my down jacket would free up a decent amount of room. Same with the book.

Btw, which products have you converted to dry? I've only had luck with tooth powder and sunscreen bars. It's so nice to lighten the load by omitting liquids.

Edit: Can you stuff the pillow into a size 1 travel stuff sack? If so it is very similar in size to my coat in these pictures, and could fit into a side compartment in the S19. If it's more like a size 2, then it would still fit in the main compartment, but would fill the bag up considerably.
    Last edited by TurtleWax; 04-04-2016, 09:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaGirl
    replied
    Greetings Turtlewax,
    Very nice packing list. Did you have extra room in the Synapse19? I bring a down travel pillow, which does compress, but then I don't have any spare room. I find the Synapse25 just perfect, but aspire to travel comfortably in the S19 one day.

As a female, one-bag and/or ultra-lightweight travel has been a fun challenge. I've got my clothes down to the "wear one, pack one" level. Toiletries have been decanted into minimalist, travel friendly, leak-proof containers. I've eliminated excess liquids, taking just the amount I'll use on the trip. I've converted to dry products where it's convenient to do so.

I'm always looking for ways to pack better and lighter. Tom Bihn products seem tailor made for me, yet are versatile for any style of travel.

Thanks for sharing your packing list and photos! elisa

Leave a comment:

• TurtleWax
    replied
    For my most recent trip, a combination of trekking in cold/wet weather and city slicking, I used my Teva De La Vina ankle boots.
    The weight is a very good question, I don't have my bag packed up currently, so I can't weigh it. It was so lightweight that there was never a need to check if it fit airline requirements.
    The heaviest parts were probably the book and the liquids in my toiletry kit. I find that most of the weight when packing comes from having lots of electronics, lots of liquids, or overpacking snacks and cutlery. Spare shoes can also add a significant amount.
    Sorry, I can't be more specifically helpful, I would try weighing the things you pack individually and use that to determine where to cut back.

(P.S. The best approximation I have is that it's under 15 lb because it didn't get taken away on Stobart Air)
    Last edited by TurtleWax; 04-03-2016, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jaffa
    replied
    Hi,
    Impressive packing list..could you let us know what shoes do you use?.
    Also, what does everything weigh, I tend to find my clothing isn't too bad, it's everything else that's the problem..thanks
    Jaffa (also female)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X