Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,205   Members: 6,714   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, adb755.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking your hobbies with you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking your hobbies with you

It’s almost summer break here in my neck of the woods, and I don’t know about you, but my mind has turned towards travel in the months to come. Day trips, overnight/weekend trips, road trips, and long-haul flights are all enticing on their own, but are even better because we now have an opportunity/excuse to think about and choose the gear that will accompany us.

In addition to the normal stuff like clothes and toothpaste and phone chargers, a lot of us on the forum have items related to hobbies or pastimes that we want to have handy when we travel. I’m interested to know what hobbies you practice, whether you have fashioned or bought travel versions of any essential equipment, and how you carry your hobby items (and if the packing/carrying methods you use for travel are different from how you do things on a day-to-day basis).

PS: don't think you have to have some crazy obscure hobby to post here—if that were the criteria, this thread would be woefully short.

I am out and about daily and take art supplies with me most days. I'm currently using an S19, although I'm tempted by the Nordic S25. I have a clear quarter packing cube holding a small watercolor kit and waterbrushes. In a TB pencil case are markets. another non TB case holds microns. these are all corralled in a #4 SS. I have some stencils in a medium pouch. then I have a plastic box-type thing with a lot of colored pencils. all of this is in the main compartment. there's usually a book in there, a kindle, a pencil case with fountain pens, sometimes a couple of TNs, and perhaps a SE. sometimes a tablet. the large base compartment holds a pouch with chargers and earbuds. and a charging brick, which I've never needed.

this is pretty packed. so at the moment I occasionally run out of the house w/o it if I'm just going to the Dr or something. I carry a LS with a SE, 2 Traveler's Notebooks, a pencil case w/fountain pens, my kindle, my very large LG V-10 phone (which I've paired with a Zerolemon battery , case which gives my phone 3x the battery length of the original battery - which is why I don't use the power brick but it's there for an emergency), and a TB pouch with a few personal items. plus keys. when the DLBP comes out in Nordic I hope to get it and switch my art stuff into it and then carry a regular Swift for the overflow.

Hope this helps and isn't TMI!

Comment

I have discovered I can carry my 21 inch soprano ukulele (about which I am obsessed) in 5 different bags:
      1) small shop bag, with small key strap around the neck to keep it from tipping out
      2 and 3) daylight backpack or synapse 19, partially unzipped to allow the neck to stick out a few inches
      4) smart Alec, via bungie
      5) aeronaut 30, Main compartment with both side pockets unzipped, or else tied in under the carrying handle

I am finding it hard to go anywhere without that ukulele. It is so dang fun!
      Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Comment

I don't leave home without knitting in some form. Most of the time I have a smallish project (socks) with the required needles and a mini OP with stitch markers/tape measure/scissors in a small or medium Yarn Stuff Sack, and that goes in whatever larger bag I'm carrying. If I'm going to Knit Night, I take my Swift with pretty much all my knitting gear and usually a larger project.

I also usually carry a Fauxdori style leather notebook with inserts for knitting, drawing and writing, and sometimes a pen/pencil OP with various pens.

Comment

Ukuleles! Hi Amy! Thanks for the ideas. I discovered that my soprano uke, bought specifically for travel, will fit in my Synapse25. I prefer to play the concert size ukulele, which is only a few inches bigger, and it sticks out the top a bit. However, the other things in my S25 may squish my uke. So I found a ukulele case with proper hide-a-way straps. (I prefer the Lanikai brand case.) This way, I one-bag my travel clothes and gear in a TB bag and my uke is in a hard case. I can carry the TB or the uke in my hand and put the other one on my back. I was delighted when I discovered that the S25 on my back will allow me to use one shoulder strap to hold the uke at the same time. I walked about three miles in Boston that way and it was very comfortable.

I sometimes carry knitting (socks). I also crochet, so if I have a small portable project I would toss it in whatever TB bag I am using that day.

I'm putting my adult coloring gear together. I've never carried it with me, so I'm still deciding what to put it in. Obviously it will be all TB gear.

Sometimes I teach labrynth meditation. My class includes how to build a labrynth. If there is space available outside, we build a temporary labrynth. All my teaching materials, handouts, and "building supplies" fit together so much better in my TB gear. The Pilot works very well for this, but I'm wondering if it would fit in the Co-Pilot. If I redesign a folding table-top easel, I'm sure it will all fit.

Badger, what a fun thread. Thank you for starting it! elisa

Comment

@alaskagirl what a great variety of hobbies. I am curious what is labyrinth meditation?

I LOVE to sew, but am planning to take up knitting again as it is more portable. Will carry in a TSS I think, in my swift, which is my EDC.

I also love reading, but can't read at work or while driving there, so I always have an audiobook, but I 'carry' those on my phone through my libraries software.

Comment

@AlaskaGirl a good friend of mine was a founder of the Labyrinth Society? she's an artist, and makes lots of Labyrinth jewelry. she created a rainbow Labyrinth, and has a Labyrinth on her property.

Comment

I always carry a sock knitting project and notions in a small Yarn Stuff sack. I love keeping socks for on the go knitting because they are super portable and small. I can fit it into just about any TB bag I have. Right now I'm carrying my Aubgegine/steel Maker's Bag, but for Maryland Sheep and wool Festival I will be switching it into my Daylight backpack and little swift. My bigger shawl projects go into small shop bags.

Comment

Ham Radio Crap!
                  I like meeting new Hams wherever I travel and it is pretty simple in some ways and challenging in others depending on the location.
                  I have several portable setups that I will get pics of to give an idea but everything from simple handheld miniature radios to fully blown portable stations that can talk anywhere in the world are all eligible to tag along.
                  I just can't stop fabricating and building stuff!?

And yes I am member in good standing in the Nerdlinger Society.

Comment

I do cross stitch and other needlework. I carry my current project on its frame in a 2 gallon ziplock bag with all the threads, charts, scissors, and assorted whatnots. That goes into my Swift. I'd like a frame that stands on its own, but I haven't found anything yet that I'd like to travel with. Still looking, though!
                    Navy/Iberian: A30, A45, Swift, SE Linen/Navy: SCB Olive/Burnt Orange: SCB Navy: DLBP Coyote/Navy: MF Verde/Ultraviolet: SE

Comment

I chose drawing as my hobby precisely because it's so portable/convenient. Forum regulars have heard this many times before, but I only need a pen and paper (or a pencil, eraser and paper) for this, so I have a FJN for that. It helps that I'm absolutely miserable at wet media-- my drawing kit is basically 3 things and easy to handle for a klutz like me 8-)

Comment

I'm trying to simplify my hobby--photography. Part of me wants to buy a good fast prime lens (50mm or 85mm) and just shoot with that the entire summer to force myself to think in a non-zoom lens frame of mind. Everything lives in my Camera I/O, although I really need to put in an order for a tripod/umbrella sleeve.
                        Super Ego w/Seat Belt Buckle [Black/Steel/Wasabi], Cadet 13/15 [Cardinal/Steel], Aeronaut 45 [Cardinal/Steel], 13" Ristretto (Old) [Olive/Cayenne], Synapse 19 [Indigo/Iberian], Camera I/O, and a whole bunch of other goodies.

Comment

I have been searching for a new, portable hobby. I was so excited when I discovered knitting, but it turns out that repetitive motions like that are terrible for me. (I got acute tendinitis in both wrists.) I tried adult coloring books but found that really boring, and then I wasn't sure what to do with the finished products--hang them on my frig?

So I'm interested to read about everyone else's activities. I have two hours a day of commuting, but there is very little space to even move my elbows. I am mostly on my phone or iPad during that time, like all the other passengers.
                          ----
                          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                          Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by AVService View Post
                            Ham Radio Crap!
                            I like meeting new Hams wherever I travel and it is pretty simple in some ways and challenging in others depending on the location.
                            I have several portable setups that I will get pics of to give an idea but everything from simple handheld miniature radios to fully blown portable stations that can talk anywhere in the world are all eligible to tag along.
                            I just can't stop fabricating and building stuff!?

And yes I am member in good standing in the Nerdlinger Society.
                            I've been thinking about getting into HAM radio ..... Just not sure I'm ready to don't yet. Do you have any direction as to some reading material such as books instead of online material?

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                              I have been searching for a new, portable hobby. I was so excited when I discovered knitting, but it turns out that repetitive motions like that are terrible for me. (I got acute tendinitis in both wrists.) I tried adult coloring books but found that really boring, and then I wasn't sure what to do with the finished products--hang them on my frig?

So I'm interested to read about everyone else's activities. I have two hours a day of commuting, but there is very little space to even move my elbows. I am mostly on my phone or iPad during that time, like all the other passengers.
                              I started doing card making. So, multiple mediums, small sized pieces of artwork (less daunting that facing a big blank page), useful finsihed products that people like getting. But not a commuting hobby.

I too have issues with knitting.

Ever thought about crossword puzzles for your commute? Don't need much space or on iPad and keeps the mind alert.

Comment

Working...
                              X