Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,743   Posts: 190,299   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 258
Welcome to our newest member, IJPWilda05.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Travel" Travel Jewelry Set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Travel" Travel Jewelry Set-up

I love to travel with at least some jewelry options, but I hate to add a huge amount of weight and volume to my bag. My solution combines portability, and remembrances of travels past (the title of the post isn't a typo )

Everything fits into a large Go Tub--I learned the hard way to separate necklaces and small earrings using tiny ziplocs to prevent loss and tangling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171219_172719.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	313017

Here's an overview of what fits:

Name:	20171219_172746.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	313018

And, the best part, for me at least, is how all of these items remind me of places I've visited. Here's a selection:
    • Fish pendant from Chinatown in San Francisco
    • Amber pendant from Lithuania (eastern edge of the Baltic)
    • Amber earrings from Germany (western edge of the Baltic)
    • Jade earrings from Belize
    • Turtle ring from Mackinac Island
    • Tree pendant from Budapest
    • Ishtar Gate pendant from Berlin
    • Garnet pendant from Prague
    • Tinkerbell earrings from Disney World
    • Wood and silver earrings from Bogotá
    • And, last, my favorite (and good luck charm), 25 peseta coin commemorating the 1992 Barcelona Olympics

Name:	20171219_173102.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	313019

I have one each of silver and gold box chains, and I just swap out pendants. There are a few other small chain necklaces, too. There's a bunch of earrings, not all shown, in various styles and colors. I can mix and match--I have two holes pierced in each earlobe, so there are tons of combinations!

What does everyone else do for jewelry when you travel?
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Not much help here, as my wedding ring and watch are the whole of what could be considered ‘jewellery’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kaadk View Post
      Not much help here, as my wedding ring and watch are the whole of what could be considered ‘jewellery’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Same here, just basic hoop earrings and a non-descript watch (safe from pickpockets).
      Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Comment

I use the smaller version for my jewelry since I typically only carry a pair of earrings and a necklace. Then I put it in my Travel Tray or Spiff Kit.

Comment

I make jewelry as a hobby and I use those same tiny ziplocks to keep everything separate... you can buy a box of a hundred for a few bucks from any craft store. They're also a good size to hold earplugs, chapstick/lip balm if you're in a hot climate and worried about it melting, etc. Lots of uses for tiny baggies!

For the larger container to put the baggies in, I've used inexpensive small semi rigid traditional jewelry holders, small plastic food containers, larger ziplocks, tiny stuff sacks, etc.
          To me, it depends on if the jewelry in question needs to be protected from crushing or not...the more fragile, the more rigid the container I use. It's not super sexy, but small inexpensive food containers work really well for a rigid container.

I pack one pair in a ziplock and it goes into a cubelet on a leash in my deep blue Pop Tote that I use as a gym bag... When I shower & change for work, I have my badge, my earrings, kleenex, etc.
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I use a clear mini organizer pouch (I mostly wear earrings and not things that tangle) that is permanently attached via key strap inside the top pocket of my Aeronaut.
            Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
              I make jewelry as a hobby and I use those same tiny ziplocks to keep everything separate... you can buy a box of a hundred for a few bucks from any craft store.
              Good to know! I've been recycling the ones that come with clothes, holding extra buttons for repairs LOL
              "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Comment

I only travel with 2 rings and 1-3 pairs of medium-sized earrings. I found a pill box which is large enough for my biggest pair of earrings, and cut a piece of a ring tray to fit inside. I also tucked a small silver cloth in to fill the space. The box tucks into my toiletry kit, and with the ring slot and cloth my jewelry is nice and secure if it has to travel inside the box so it won’t get tangled up.
                Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

I wear the same pair of earrings until they fall apart or fall out. But i do wear bracelets, the same four every day, two on each arm. I have one necklace with multiple pendants and charms that can be swapped out. In general tho, I only travel with my everyday wear jewelry as I am already wearing it, lol.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
                  "Not all who wander are lost"
                  "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
                  Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Comment

Straws are great for keeping chains from tangling, but you need a long thin zip pouch to put them in.

I also like the rubber matting that you put in the bottom of drawers. Lay out your jewelry on it, and roll it up. Nothing moves and is padded. Get where you are going and unroll and everything is exactly where you put it. You can cut the matting to the size that works for the amount of jewelry you are taking, but roll it all up first so you know where the excess is. And use large rubber hairbands or head bands to wrap around the final bundle.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
                      I also like the rubber matting that you put in the bottom of drawers. Lay out your jewelry on it, and roll it up. Nothing moves and is padded.
                      I love this idea!

Comment

I actually sort of stole the rubber matting idea from someone who sewed flannel to the back and put ribbons on it to tie it up, to make a "real" jewelry roll. I kept meaning to do that myself, but I got lazy and just used the rubber matting plain and some hair bands, and it worked great.

I did a quick search on Etsy, and "SimplySown" has nice looking ready made ones. She calls it the Blingzy Jewelry Travel Roll. I might give one a try.
                        Last edited by BWeaves; 12-21-2017, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I wrap each item in a tissue and put them in a small box, or a cloth pouch if nothing needs protecting. I've used a tiny cardboard box and little plastic ones.

Comment

I put cuff links, collar stays, and sometimes a spare watch in a mini Q-kit which usually lives in my toiletry kit. I may switch to a small OP for the cuff links and collar stays.

Comment

I travel with less and less jewelry these days - just a couple pairs of earrings (everyday/dressy) and perhaps a dressy pendant for going out at night. But when I have traveled with multiple options, I like using a travel roll.

(Like this one, although I bought mine in a tiny store in Vietnam while I was traveling: Jewelry roll)

(Link is to a listing for a rectangular padded fabric organizer with three zippered compartments arranged vertically, that rolls up for travel.)

I like it because it’s a soft and viable landing place for trinkets when I’m in a hotel room. (Not as secure as a Travel Tray, but better for separating delicate pieces! ) It has several zippered pockets for earrings, watches, bracelets etc., as well as a soft “bar” that fastens with a snap, over which you can slip rings or necklaces. Then everything rolls up and is protected against tangling or minor bumps while in transit. I might slip mine in a stuff sack to keep it clean, and tethered.
                              Last edited by haraya; 12-22-2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X