Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,743   Posts: 190,299   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 258
Welcome to our newest member, IJPWilda05.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people use for First Aid Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a mini Ghost Whale pouch. Love it for easy access to everything inside!

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis View Post
      I just use a stuff sack. Although I wasn’t prepared and didn’t get to order a size 1 when it was available in Iberian before it was discontinued. So I use a half filled Size 2 Iberian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      @LordAnubis,

They”re currently showing the Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack in Iberian as in stock. I don’t suppose you have a current preorder you could add this to? In any case, Iberian TSS in size #1 have not yet been retired.

HTH

moriond
      Last edited by moriond; 02-11-2020, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
        @LotdAnubis,

They”re currently showing the Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack in Iberian as in stock. I don’t suppose you have a current preorder you could add this to? In any case, Iberian TSS in size #1 have not yet been retired.

HTH

moriond
        Well that’s obviously getting added straight to my order. Thanks for nothing, enabler! [emoji16][emoji23]

Comment

I use a clear 3DOC as my toiletry kit, which also includes a small, but flexible, first aid kit. I used to use a mini OP for first aid, but have switched to a suitably sized plastic bag, as I carry the same FAK when backpacking - a baggie is small, light, and I don't care what happens to it.

The kit contains:
          • 3 alcohol wipes
          • 3 sterile gauze packs about the size of a standard alcohol wipe that unfold into a 10"/25cm strip
          • 1ea small and medium colloid bandages, for wounds that are likely to crack or weep
          • 1ea small, med, knuckle, fingertip commercial sterile bandage/plaster
          • 1 0.25in x 1.5in steri-strips 6 pack
          • 2 0.25in x 1.5in steri-strips 3 pack
          • 3 applicator vials of benzoin tincture, for adhesion prep and sterilization
          • ~20"/50cm leukotape p wrapped around a small section of bamboo dowel
          • 4 0.9g hydrocortisone packs
          • 2 0.9g antibiotic packs
          • Travel size pain reliever bottle repurposed for general carry, typically containing:
          small info sheet with picture of pills + info/documentation, rolled and inserted into the bottle around the internal circumference.
          6 bismuth subsalicylate chewable tabs
          3 loperamide in cut down blister pack
          5 small pseudoephedrine
          5 aspirin
          5 naproxen sodium
          5 diphenhydramine

Total FAK comes in around 2.5oz/70g. The items are flexible enough that I can treat a wide enough range of injuries in the short term. It's small and light, so I can toss it into whatever I'm carrying on a given day.

As part of my larger regular travel toiletry kit, 3DOC contains:
          • Merkur 23c
          • Synthetic shave brush
          • Standard small size gluestick case repacked with Arko shave soap
          • 5mL bottle of tea tree oil
          • Dr. Bronner's Castille as soap and shampoo, in a small Visine-style dropper bottle
          • GUM foldable travel toothbrush
          • travel size toothpaste
          • small titanium tweezers
          • nail clippers

Total setup fits inside 3DOC quite well, with no bulging.
          Last edited by squaredot; 12-05-2020, 10:16 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

I have to mention the now-discontinued unsung hero of the TB lineup. The knitting tool pouch #4. I got it as an add-on to a trade and had no idea what to do with it. That little beauty filled with Mickey and Star Wars band-aids, two 2" gauze squares, individual alcohol wipes, individual bacitracin pouches and a foldable pair of scissors is the ultimate secret weapon in thrilling mildly injured children and even the occasional adults. Character Band-aids. I cannot emphasize this enough. I've given them to amused executives in first class and small children who don't speak any languages I understand.

Comment

I use a small Ghost Whale in Mars Red for a FAK in my bag. It contains an assortment of bandages and some gauze, alcohol wipes, antibiotic ointment, travel packs of Advil and Tylenol, and individually wrapped Pepto/immodium/benadryl, and some tweezers. Nothing fancy, but enough to handle small scrapes, headaches, and tummy aches.
              ​​​
              Last edited by Salmanila8; 06-20-2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TRD View Post
                I have to mention the now-discontinued unsung hero of the TB lineup. The knitting tool pouch #4. I got it as an add-on to a trade and had no idea what to do with it. That little beauty filled with Mickey and Star Wars band-aids, two 2" gauze squares, individual alcohol wipes, individual bacitracin pouches and a foldable pair of scissors is the ultimate secret weapon in thrilling mildly injured children and even the occasional adults. Character Band-aids. I cannot emphasize this enough. I've given them to amused executives in first class and small children who don't speak any languages I understand.
                Abby noted in the Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses thread that the Size #4 Knitting Tool Pouch (which recently joined the list of retired pouches), is a great size for holding disk inhalers.
                Originally posted by Abby View Post
                OK, I have a few. No pictures, sorry.
                3. For those traveling with allergies and asthma: Size 4 Knitting Tool Pouch is exactly the right size for a disk inhaler. (In Aubergine, it even matches the color of my disk inhaler!) And size 2 tool pouches neatly fit two epi-pens (although those come in different sizes, so measure yours). Both clip nicely inside your bag so you don't have to spend any time at all rooting for something you need RIGHT NOW.
                She later posted a picture
                Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=295456&d=1422140886.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	333310

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                  Abby noted in the Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses thread that the Size #4 Knitting Tool Pouch (which recently joined the list of retired pouches), is a great size for holding disk inhalers.

She later posted a picture
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=295456&d=1422140886.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	333310
                  Oh wow that's genius. Wtg Abby!

Comment

I carry a “boo boo” kit. That has a few band aids, otc and cold meds etc.

My first aid kit is geared toward combatting exsanguination. As such, it contains two tourniquets, gauze, H bandage, gloves, duct tape etc. It also contains clothing shears, nasal trumpet and a Tension Pnuemo Needle.

Comment

I use an old Altoids tin, wrapped with a heavy duty rubber band. I pack various bandaids/butterfly/bandages, mole skin, styptic stick, a few swabs, an antiseptic packet, a few Imodium & Benadryl tabs, a needle and dental floss, (Elsewhere in my pack, I have a small tube of Tylenol/Advil, tweezers on my multi-tool, duct tape on a pencil, lip balm, a few latex gloves, a few safety pins , a small bottle of saline solution). I have a different small First Aid kit for car trips.
                      Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
                      Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
                      "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
                      Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Comment

I use a Dyneema white pouch from LiteAF. It has the red cross on the front and it holds bandages of all sizes, ointment, ace bandage, etc. It is also waterproof and extremely light. As the company name suggests. TB is also great just a little bulkier than I would prefer.

Comment

A bit pedantic, but contrary to many traditions the recognised international (ISO) symbol for first aid is a white cross on green, or a green cross on white. The red cross is a protected symbol, not for public use. Perhaps the option of a green First Aid kit could be produced?

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadD View Post
                            A bit pedantic, but contrary to many traditions the recognised international (ISO) symbol for first aid is a white cross on green, or a green cross on white. The red cross is a protected symbol, not for public use. Perhaps the option of a green First Aid kit could be produced?
                            LiteAF also offers green.

Comment

Originally posted by gheebuttersnaps View Post
                              What do people use for First Aid Kits

I use an Osprey (correction— I originally said EC. It’s Osprey) toiletry kit.
                              To me, it would be way too small for toiletries but it was PERFECT as a First Aid kit. The little clear pouch at the bottom is detachable and perfect for my personal meds (inhaler, epipen, spare contacts). The upper 2 held everything else I needed for others in our group including a full coband roll, scissors, several pairs of disposable gloves.
                              Cheers!

[ATTACH]24289[/ATTACH][ATTACH]24288[/ATTACH]

Great setup. Where do you get the small ziplock bags?

Comment

Originally posted by WineCountry View Post

Great setup. Where do you get the small ziplock bags?
                                I'm not gheebuttersnaps but I use tiny bags in my jewelry making all the time... you can pick them up at most craft stores, amazon, etc.
                                As seen in the link below, since 'Ziplock' is a trademark, you want to search for 'reclosable'

https://www.michaels.com/clear-with-.../10286299.html
                                I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Working...
                                X