Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,745   Posts: 190,322   Members: 6,605   Active Members: 251
Welcome to our newest member, MeaningwaveExists.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel Kitchen

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Travel Kitchen

    I got an email notification that the Standard Spiff Kit was available in Solaris.

    So, not that I am going anywhere, but clearly I need another Standard Spiff Kit. I need one to be my Travel Kitchen!

    It will hold:
    -loose tea
    -a collapsible tea strainer
    -two small spatulas (I find these so useful when I am home too)
    -some cutlery (including a small rounded Sheffield-made fruit knife)
    -1-2 ounce bottles of olive oil and vinegar
    -GSI 6-compartment spice container
    -travel size bottle of dish soap
    -a small cloth scrubbie

    Does anyone else travel with a mobile kitchen? I usually eat in, so I find it useful to have some of this stuff with me whether I am in a hotel, AirBnB, or a bare bones BYO everything place, and at this point I’ve cooked in enough poorly-equipped rental kitchens to know what I need. I had been shoving stuff in a 3DOC but it’s time for an upgrade.

    I’ve seen tea and coffee setups, and travel bars, but not sure if I’ve seen an all-purpose setup on here. I’d love to get some more ideas! Anyone have a super small cutting board?

    (EDIT: Pics of setup in a Spiff Kit added below in post #16)
    Last edited by Cristina; 07-26-2020, 01:22 PM.

    #2
    That's great Cristina!

    I had the same thought, but for a camp kitchen set of tools.... my TB notes said:
    "Deluxe Spiff Kit would probably make a good camp cooking bag
    oil; salt; pepper; italian mix; bottle of hot sauce; matches; cut down cooking tools; utensils; pot holder, etc."



    For a small cutting board, I suggest getting one of the super thin plastic ones and cutting it into smaller pieces with heavy shears (be sure to round the corners to prevent poking into the fabric). That way, you could toss them into the dishwasher to sterilize when you return.
    If you don't want plastic, then look for a small wood bar tenders cutting board - some of those are tiny.

    Be neat to see other ideas!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

    Comment


      #3
      I travel with a picnic kit (detailed on some other threads) which has eating items. Over the winter I put together a kitchen prep kit but haven't gotten to use it. I have a gentlemen's hardware kitchen multitool which has things like a zester and a grater and a peeler. I have a scrubbie and a microfiber towel. These items are in a REI small dopp kit. I also picked up a collapsible strainer and collapsible smallish bowl. With this equipment I would be able to pick up things at a farmer's market and prepare a salad or similar at a nearby picnic table.

      I got inspired too do this after watching a video for the Opinel Nomad kit. This video showed a number of settings with people preparing meals on the fly.
      Last edited by sturbridge; 07-01-2020, 04:57 PM.
      Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

      Comment


        #4
        G42 yes I think you’re right, cutting down a thin cutting board might be my best bet. I saw a roll-up one that might also be an idea. I’d like it to fit inside the large pocket of the Spiff Kit if possible, though perhaps it could just sit inside the kit but not in a pocket.
        sturbridge that kitchen multi tool and the Opinel set are neat! I have a weakness for that sort of thing.

        GSI Outdoors sell a few camp kitchen sets with things like a retractable whisk and folding spatula. Trying to use as much as I already own as possible though.

        I might add in some picnic cutlery that I picked up on eBay: it’s a vintage party fork with a cutting edge. I was finding my normal picnic cutlery wasn’t strong enough for a robust salad. I need a case or a cover to keep the points from doing harm. Ooh I have some scrap leather in my sewing box! That would do the job.

        Maybe I’ll throw in a small measuring spoon for the tea, though it’s more my personality to just eyeball it.

        Originally posted by G42 View Post
        That's great Cristina!

        I had the same thought, but for a camp kitchen set of tools.... my TB notes said:
        "Deluxe Spiff Kit would probably make a good camp cooking bag
        oil; salt; pepper; italian mix; bottle of hot sauce; matches; cut down cooking tools; utensils; pot holder, etc."



        For a small cutting board, I suggest getting one of the super thin plastic ones and cutting it into smaller pieces with heavy shears (be sure to round the corners to prevent poking into the fabric). That way, you could toss them into the dishwasher to sterilize when you return.
        If you don't want plastic, then look for a small wood bar tenders cutting board - some of those are tiny.

        Be neat to see other ideas!
        Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
        I travel with a picnic kit (detailed on some other threads) which has eating items. Over the winter I put together a kitchen prep kit but haven't gotten to use it. I have a gentlemen's hardware kitchen multitool which has things like a zester and a grater and a peeler. I have a scrubbie and a microfiber towel. These items are in a REI small dopp kit. I also picked up a collapsible strainer and collapsible smallish bowl. With this equipment I would be able to pick up things at a farmer's market and prepare a salad or similar at a nearby picnic table.

        I got inspired too do this after watching a video for the Opinel Nomad kit. This video showed a number of settings with people preparing meals on the fly.

        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


          #5
          I am on a small road trip right now and I put my 6qt Instant Pot with a cutting board, knife, and spices in my Monster Truck. An entirely self contained kitchen setup!

          I would add a small kettle or immersion heater the next time I travel like this.

          Comment


            #6
            So, I have on the way a Solaris Spiff Kit AND a Solaris HLT2, the latter turning up on EBay UK a couple of days ago. We will see which makes a better travel kitchen! I like that the HLT has a place where I could slot in a cut-down chopping board, and also the loops for holding utensils. Can’t wait to compare!

            Comment


              #7
              I don't really have a travel kitchen, but I do have a ziplock bag with a few tea bags (black and mint), a couple of packages of instant oatmeal, and some coffee filters. I keep it packed together with my bags. This was especially handy at conferences: I could buy a bag of fresh ground coffee at a local coffeeshop, and use it with filters with hotel coffee machines. (Today I would take my Aeropress) I would buy a bottle of milk at the same coffeeshop, and use it with my coffee and with the instant oatmeal. That way, I could have breakfast in my room and didn't have to wait in long lines in the morning at the hotel coffeeshop--or elevator.

              When traveling to be away for over three months I take a US-style vegetable peeler and a garlic press. I know, but its the little things that make you feel at home.

              I wish somebody would make a truly portable travel kettle....

              Comment


                #8
                I wish somebody would make a truly portable travel kettle....
                I just got this one- it folds up to about 2" thick and 5 1/2" across. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                I also have an immersion heater, that takes up even less room, but then you have to have access to a cup to use it.
                Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Wow YES if I still lived in the US I would be all over a travel kettle. In the U.K., all except the most bare bones budget hotels (Ibis, EasyHotel) provide kettles in each room.


                  Originally posted by bbcamp View Post
                  I don't really have a travel kitchen, but I do have a ziplock bag with a few tea bags (black and mint), a couple of packages of instant oatmeal, and some coffee filters. I keep it packed together with my bags. This was especially handy at conferences: I could buy a bag of fresh ground coffee at a local coffeeshop, and use it with filters with hotel coffee machines. (Today I would take my Aeropress) I would buy a bottle of milk at the same coffeeshop, and use it with my coffee and with the instant oatmeal. That way, I could have breakfast in my room and didn't have to wait in long lines in the morning at the hotel coffeeshop--or elevator.

                  When traveling to be away for over three months I take a US-style vegetable peeler and a garlic press. I know, but its the little things that make you feel at home.

                  I wish somebody would make a truly portable travel kettle....
                  Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
                  I just got this one- it folds up to about 2" thick and 5 1/2" across. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                  I also have an immersion heater, that takes up even less room, but then you have to have access to a cup to use it.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                    In the U.K., all except the most bare bones budget hotels (Ibis, EasyHotel) provide kettles in each room.
                    I'm slightly jealous.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                      So, I have on the way a Solaris Spiff Kit AND a Solaris HLT2, the latter turning up on EBay UK a couple of days ago. We will see which makes a better travel kitchen! I like that the HLT has a place where I could slot in a cut-down chopping board, and also the loops for holding utensils. Can’t wait to compare!
                      You've gotten me thinking about how much I need a travel kitchen for whenever I leave the house again! I'm interested in your assessment of these two- I'm thinking the sm snake charmer might be good for my needs.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
                        I just got this one- it folds up to about 2" thick and 5 1/2" across. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                        I also have an immersion heater, that takes up even less room, but then you have to have access to a cup to use it.
                        I ordered one of these (the Gourmia GK338B Electric Collapsible Travel Kettle) based on your recommendation. I'm so excited to try it out!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by nessagr View Post
                          You've gotten me thinking about how much I need a travel kitchen for whenever I leave the house again! I'm interested in your assessment of these two- I'm thinking the sm snake charmer might be good for my needs.
                          What do you think you’ll put in your travel kitchen? I’m building mine around what annoys me when we stay somewhere.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                            What do you think you’ll put in your travel kitchen? I’m building mine around what annoys me when we stay somewhere.
                            Nothing you haven't thought of!
                            I'm thinking for mostly day-to-day, full-sized butter knife, fork, and spoon, reusable drinking straws, cloth napkin, salt and pepper, disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer, army knife, 3-4 creamer containers in a plastic bag, tea, a reusable shopping bag.

                            For family car trips, I would add more cutlery and napkins, a med OP with a small cutting board, small collapsable colander, and a paring knife.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I'm thinking the sm snake charmer might be good for my needs.
                              At one point I used a small snake charmer as a breakfast kit. One side had tea/coffee and immersion heater, the other side had collapsible bowls, spoons and instant oatmeal packets.
                              Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X