Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timothy
    replied
    Just learned from unclutterer.com that Muji now has an online presence for mail-order -- cool! They have lots of neat stuff.

http://www.muji.us/store/

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    Heh, the new clear toiletries case sure looks like an improvement on the hated-by-me plastic baggie. I'm semi-clairvoyant! A medium-medium!

Leave a comment:

• peregrina
    replied
    I LOVE Lush shampoo bars! Not only the shampoo is of great quality but it'll last at least a couple of months taking very little room in a suitcase. It's a no-brainer...

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    Audrey:

re: "(I've just been to an optometrist for new glasses and had some difficulty actually getting the $59 basic glasses rather than the "second pair free" super thin, all bells and whistles for $700+. Most annoying! I just wanted cheap reading glasses to see if I would actually use reading glasses.)" -- Check out zennioptical.com

I get compliments (not all of which are sarcastic!) about my glasses (http://zennioptical.com/cart/product...e=1#largeimage) all the time, and I have a bad habit of blurting out "20 bucks online!"

True story: to get my prescription, I went to one of those "two pairs for $89!" type places; it ended up costing me more for the usual reasons (the come-on price is only for glasses made out of sandpaper and arsenic), but I thought "eh, at least now I'll have an extra two pairs of glasses, one of which I'll get tinted for shooting / driving / etc." The truth? The ones from the store not only are flimsy (nose bridge broke quickly), but despite being based on the same prescription (done at that store!), are clearly optically inferior to the ones from Zenni which cost around 1/5 of their price. Not sure whether it's the fault of machinery, humans, or what.

Zenni has *very* mixed reviews -- which doesn't surprise me, it's an online business with high volume, selling a product that people may take as part of their identity, at very low prices -- but my own sole experience with them was spot-on. Service was friendly and quick (and when I called to ask a question, I felt treated well and politely, which is rare for any business at all, sadly).

Sadly, they do not pay me to make such plugs, but I like to tout what I like

timothy

Leave a comment:

• falconea
    replied
    Just,

They do like upselling and I find that annoying. (I've just been to an optometrist for new glasses and had some difficulty actually getting the $59 basic glasses rather than the "second pair free" super thin, all bells and whistles for $700+. Most annoying! I just wanted cheap reading glasses to see if I would actually use reading glasses.)

I find the Seanik conditioning enough for me and haven't bothered to purchase any conditioner.

The "un-oiliness" as you call it is a remarkable effect. I eventually decided that it was more that there's no residue in my hair to attract and hold dirt.

And yes, a little tiny round bar in a matching round tin is exciting, compared to two huge bottles of shampoo and conditioner. My first bar has lasted me 6 months so far and has travelled around the world with me for 3 months.

Audrey

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    Update! So I did buy the Seanik and it does work well - my hair doesn't get as oily near as fast as normal. I think I'm going to try following it up with conditioner and seeing how that works (since the girl at the shop seemed to hint at getting conditioner too), but I think it might counter the un-oiliness. I also picked up the Karma one, because apparently the deal was free travel tin with purchase of two shampoo bars, and I'm going to need the tin soon, since there will be traveling and staying-at-places-other-than-home soon!

Can't believe I'm getting this excited about shampoo bars!

Leave a comment:

• flitcraft
    replied
    One of the plusses of Lush shampoo bars is that they are Sodium Laurel/ Laureth Sulfate free--some people prefer to avoid SLS as they find it irritating and drying. They make several different ones--and I agree that Godiva is too scented for me and smells vaguely like perfumed moth balls! I like Squeaky Green, which has a light, pleasant mint-rosemary scent. Hybrid is lightly liquorice scented and has cocoa butter in it so it is a hybrid shampoo and conditioner. They also make a separate solid conditioner bar called Jungle that has a really lovely scent.

By the way, you can use shampoo--solid or otherwise--to wash out socks, undies, tops etc in a hotel sink. Saves taking along a separate clothes washing product.

Leave a comment:

• yeti
    replied
    Burt's Bees shampoo bar

Burt's Bees makes a shampoo bar that works pretty well, and has a light, natural rosemary-mint scent. They're available at many markets these days for around $6 for a 3.5 oz. bar -- so they may be easier to come by than the Lush bars.

Leave a comment:

• bluedenim
    replied
    hmmm I will have to check this stuff out...
    I am looking to travel super light on my next trip to Europe and I always find that the toiletires have a tendency to build up really fast and all of a sudden its like bring another pair of shoes space wise.

I ussually just buy the travel packs of expensive products. I have used Shaving Oil in the past and ir really is good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by falconea View Post
    They moved in my local giant shopping centre recently - my husband went looking for a store directory. I sniffed and said "that way!" and followed my nose straight to the shop!
    Hehe! I think there is a Lush store in Westlake Center now. I might visit that one. My only guess is that the majority of potential customers do like that smell - or it causes them to stop in their tracks and take notice of the store. My favorite products smell-wise are Juniper Ridge soaps, but they don't make a shampoo type bar.

Leave a comment:

• falconea
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    I've avoided Lush stores and products because I don't like how the stores smell when I walk by them.
    I don't know why they do it - the smell is horrible! I would never have tried it but for recommendations, the fact that my old shampoo had just been discontinued and we were planning a 3 month trip.

They moved in my local giant shopping centre recently - my husband went looking for a store directory. I sniffed and said "that way!" and followed my nose straight to the shop!

I've never tried any of their other products - and I don't want to spend long enough in the place to see what they have.

Audrey

Leave a comment:

• falconea
    replied
    Lush Seanik

Goodness, Lush should pay me a commission! :+>

They have little tins for the shampoo bars which are excellent for travel.

When using the shampoo you only need very little - wet hair, then stroke the bar 3 times over your hair, then lather up. If my hair is very oily it doesn't lather well - I just wash, rinse, then repeat and the second time it lathers up fine, allowing me to comb out tangles with my fingers easily. It's much, much quicker than my old routine of shampoo twice then condition and untangle. And after squeezing my hair dry with a towel it is much drier than it used to be.

It's important to let the bar dry thoroughly before putting it back in its tin. I just let it sit in the lid to dry.

My husband and I traveled for just over 3 months (Nov - Feb) and carrying three little tins took (the Godiva for emergency laundry and for stinky hotels) was a massive improvement on carrying 3 giant bottles of shampoo and conditioner.

Please do all let me know what you think of it.

Audrey

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by falconea View Post
    The Lush shops smell horrible, of far too much cheap perfume. (I never went into them until reading a recommendation on flyertalk.com.) Seanik doesn't have much smell at all;
    I'm glad you've posted this. I've avoided Lush stores and products because I don't like how the stores smell when I walk by them. But I think I will try Seanik - carrying one bar instead of two travel bottles sounds great.

Leave a comment:

• pretzelb
    replied
    Wow. Just when I think I know it all about travel products along comes this post. Lush shampoo bars? Those just look crazy to me, but if I can find one in a store I might try it. I'm hearing more of the shaving oil but I seriously doubt I can use that and not my electric razor. Again, maybe if I can find some I'll try it but while my electric may weigh more and take up more room, at least it's not land fill material (until it dies on me at least).

Have you looked at the Nalgene travel bottles? REI sells them in many sizes (http://www.rei.com/product/402139). The Container Store has similar items.

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    Audrey, thanks for the recommendations re: Lush shampoo bars. I've been meaning to try them out but didn't know where to start. I'll probably pick up a Seanik bar tomorrow per your rec. I think my hair is similar to how you described yours, so here's hoping it'll work for me too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X