Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,936   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, thefrillyhell.

Titanium spork in carry-on bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaggieScratch
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2008

Titanium spork in carry-on bag?

A friend gave me one of those titanium sporks. It was kind of a joke, but on a recent trip I realized it would be a pretty useful item to carry (in other words, I wished I had brought it). But I wondered if TSA would object to it. The tines are a little sharp, and it is metal, so it would show up on the X-ray. Has anyone traveled with one of these items?
  • Frank II
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2009

I've traveled with the plastic ones. No problem. The metal might bother them. The plastic ones are only $4 and fairly indestructible.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

• RedBeard
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by MaggieScratch View Post
      A friend gave me one of those titanium sporks. It was kind of a joke, but on a recent trip I realized it would be a pretty useful item to carry (in other words, I wished I had brought it). But I wondered if TSA would object to it. The tines are a little sharp, and it is metal, so it would show up on the X-ray. Has anyone traveled with one of these items?
      I would throw it in my bag and see what happens. It doesn't have a blade, so it should be alright. If it is not, what a great story if it got confiscated! The TSA took my spork!

Comment

• backpack
        Forum Member
        • Feb 2006

Last year, I carried a steel dessert spoon and fork in my Quarter Cube, both are approximately the same size as the spork.

No problem, the ladies at the Birmingham airport only mentioned the nice organizing pouches to which I responded, Tom Bihn's and smiled.

I was too tired to remember if they said anything at Washington DC Airport, not Dulles, the city airport, DCA.

Comment

• scotlib
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2008

I just flew through Gatwick and Dublin with a folding spork in my carry-on. Bought it on impulse (on sale, lol) in an outdoor gear store wandering around Windsor. It's a fun souvenir, now. Never considered I could lose it, but I can write happily that I didn't. Cheers.

Comment

• MaggieScratch
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2008

True, it doesn't have a blade--the little travel sewing kit scissors I carry for my tatting have a bigger point (the blades are about 1" long and the handles are plastic, so no objections so far). Maybe I'll give it a try next time. Thanks!

Comment

• Akilae
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2008

I just flew to Chicago and back with a Titanium spork and didn't have any problems with security. Granted, it was in the same pouch as my stainless steel spoon and chopsticks...

Comment

• thorn
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by MaggieScratch View Post
                True, it doesn't have a blade--the little travel sewing kit scissors I carry for my tatting have a bigger point (the blades are about 1" long and the handles are plastic, so no objections so far). Maybe I'll give it a try next time. Thanks!
                To people who want to take a sewing kit with them, do what I do. Forget those sewing kits at the store that have 10 thread colors, scissors, multiple needles and take up a lot of room. Extremely few people will ever need to use this while on a trip. Create your own like I did. I use a short seam ripper that comes with a cap. Inside of that, stick a pre-threaded needle with black thread wrapped around the seam ripper so it does not tangle. You now have a sewing kit that takes almost no space. And there ya go!

Comment

• MaggieScratch
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2008

I don't carry the sewing kit, just the scissors. ;-) I need a precise point to cut my tatting close to the work without cutting into the knots, so I do need a scissor. I don't take my good embroidery scissors for fear they will be confiscated.

Comment

• BJ Nemeth
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2006

I have carried a titanium spork (love it!) in my carryon bags for more than a year, and I have never had a problem.

I keep mine in my Snake Charmer along with all of my computer cables, card readers, and things like that, and I don't know whether or not that's a factor in allowing it through. But really, if I saw one of these on an X-Ray machine, I certainly wouldn't consider it dangerous.

Anytime I mention the Snake Charmer I have to say that I consider it to be the single best product in the Tom Bihn lineup -- and that's saying something. You'll have to pry my Hunter Green Aeronaut from my cold, dead hands, but I think the Snake Charmer is something that *every* tech traveler should be using, regardless of the brand of their bag.

I've never seen anything that even comes close to its usefulness for storing cables and other small tech gear.
                    Aeronaut (Original in Hunter Green), Aeronaut 30 (Forest), Smart Alec (Hunter Green), Pilot (Forest), Co-Pilot (Coyote), Synapse 25 (Black Dyneema), Two Large Shop Bags (Iberian and Steel), Passport Pouch (Iberian), Two Travel Trays (Solar stays in the Aeronaut, Iberian stays home), more than a dozen accessories.

Comment

• Jenne
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2008

I just traveled from Kansas City--> Amsterdam--> Venice and back with my titanium spork (and my knitting) and had absolutely no problems. I think two things helped me-- I try to be as pleasant and efficient going through security as humanly possible and I had already dealt with the possibility that they might take them away and I was okay with that. So, no worry, no stress, and it was just fine!

BJ, I also love my snake charmer! It's full-- I think I have to get another one!
                      Current carry: Super Ego, various pouches, I/O (when shooting). Incorporating the FIELD JOURNAL!!!! Next up on wishlist: S25 and SE (June 2016)

Comment

• leviathan
                        Forum Member
                        • Apr 2009

I used to carry a fork and spoon I swiped from a late nite diner in my bag. I'd been through tons of airports with it, and then one day, I believe in BOS a TSA agent told me I could keep the spoon but the fork had to go. Some places are weird like that.

I'd go with the plastic ones suggested above. Speaking of which, where can I find those? Any general camping/sporting sections of stores?

My Tom Bihn arsenal
                        Bags: Steel/Solar Aeronaut w/ Absolute Strap | Black/Steel Brain Bag | Black/Cardinal Tri-Star | Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec
                        Accessories: Camera I-O, Tripod Quiver, Brain Cell, Snake Charmer, Vertical Freudian Slip, Vertical iPad Cache, RFID Blocking Passport Pouch, Kit, Travel Tray, various Organizer Cubes & Pouches

Comment

• maverick
                          Volunteer *********
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by leviathan View Post
                          I used to carry a fork and spoon I swiped from a late nite diner in my bag. I'd been through tons of airports with it, and then one day, I believe in BOS a TSA agent told me I could keep the spoon but the fork had to go. Some places are weird like that.

I'd go with the plastic ones suggested above. Speaking of which, where can I find those? Any general camping/sporting sections of stores?
                          hi leviathan,

amazon sells plastic sporks.
                          -m

Comment

• Frank II
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2009

You can also find plastic sporks at Wal-Mart (in the camping section) and REI (if there is one near you.). I would venture to guess that any store that has a camping section probably carries sporks.

Be careful, sporks also come in "serving" sizes. You might look at them and think, that seems awfully big!!! The spoon side of the spork is about the size of an average tablespoon.
                            Last edited by Frank II; 11-08-2009, 05:09 AM.
                            Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

• ex machina
                              Forum Member
                              • Dec 2008

You can find them on eBay too. Sporks!
                              Bags: Latest: Pop Tote and Shop Bag (large) ; also have a Co-Pilot, Super Ego (w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut; Medium Cafe Bag; Large Cafe Bag; Brain Cell; Shop Bag small, (Steel); Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Accessories: Oh yeah, bunches.
                              Sadly Lost to Hazmat: An Imago in Steel/Cork & MCB in Linen/Olive.
                              " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Comment

Working...
                              X