Pickup Truck as travel kitchen bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickup Truck as travel kitchen bag

There are times when I've traveled where I was hungry but not near a restaurant, or in a place off season when much was closed, or staying in guest quarters that were not well equipped or hotels that were not equipped at all for any sort of food preparation. There's also times en route where it would be fun to just have an impromptu picnic. So here's my travel kitchen.

These items are intended for simple meals, mostly salads and the like I can throw together with no real cooking involved other than maybe adding boiling water.

First, the bag. Its a newly arrived pick up truck. This bag is so stinkin' cute! Its also small enough that I'm not tempted to bring /everything/ along and overcomplicate things. Here's the bag packed up:

pu truck packed
    And here's the bag with the contents exploded:

pu truck exploded view

Here's the contents:

In the front outside pocket, I have a non TB mesh bag with a Shepherd's Utility Cloth which is used as a tablecloth
    In the other outside pocket, is a small mesh Ghost Whale which has a variety of condiment (oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, soy) packets from minimus.biz

Inside the Pickup Truck, on one end is a collapsible kettle, with power cord and some random ziplocs for leftovers or trash. On the other end, is an Aeropress Go. Its an Aeropress (espresso/coffee maker) where all the implements fits into its own mug, a tin of herbal teas, and a coffee colored (coyote) small mesh Ghost Whale with sugar and milk packets.

In the middle of the Pickup Truck, are an HLT2 and a Wildo mess kit which I will detail in the next post.
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Next up, the mess kit. This was originally intended to be stand alone, and was the beginning of this travel kitchen obsession. It all started with a post Darcy did with a clear 3D organizer cube with some oil, vinegar and a container of dukkah (nut and spice mixture) asking us how we would use this using purchases from a farmers market, which was a great thought experiment for me.

The mess kit is from Wildo (from Sweden). I found mine through a sporting goods website. They have several, from just basic cup, spork and container to the one I bought that has a cutting board, and an additional bowl. I have tricked it out.

Here's the container when I open it into its 2 halves:

Wildo opened
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Comment

Here's the mess kit exploded with explanation:

Wildo kit exploded
      In addition to the 2 halves of the container, there are paper doilies because you never know when you want to make something pretty (one half of the container makes for a nice tray), a cutting board. Below the cutting board is a viscose towel for either washing or absorbing any runoff from the cutting board, salt and pepper in an MSR spice container, a Nite Ize bottle opener, mini grater, Opinel knife, spork that came with set, a cheese knife, toothpick container, a bandana as napkin, cup and bowl.

Comment

Lastly the HLT2. There is a small amount of redundancy with the mess kit, as my intention is to use these independently at times. In the front pocket, is a mini pepper grinder and salt shaker with a couple of quart ziplocs. Here's the HLT when I first open it up:

HLT opened

And here it is in a more exploded view (next post)

Comment

Exploded view:
          HLT opened

I have 2 sets of plastic flatware, spatula, whisk, a paring knife and a spice shaker (Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle- its a great all purpose seasoning) are in the webbing loops. In the pockets behind the loops, are mylar packages of spices that hold about a teaspoon each. I have a mini Ghost Whale holding a dish wipe and soap, and a non TB pouch holding a nano towel. In the big mesh pocket, I have a chef knife in sheath, a tupperware gadget that scrubs veggies, a can opener, and a gentlemen's hardware kitchen tool that has a whole bunch of things in it - (lemon zester anyone?). Under the mesh pocket, I have a small Poppin notebook (like a moleskin cahier) that has menu ideas for easy to put together meals and shopping lists.

Comment

Nice! Thanks for posting all that sturbridge
            Next time you make something, please post a pic of what food you made or assembled
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

sturbridge I love your setup! Since the Pickup Truck is open-topped, is this for car-based travel? I love the mess kit with the flat strainer. I also love how well the utensils fit in the elastic loops in the HLT.

I have my Travel Kitchen in a CQPC and over lockdown I added to it, anticipating that the next time I did travel it would be even more based on self-catering. Really hoping to use it sometime in the near future.

​​​​​​​
              Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
              Exploded view:
              HLT opened

I have 2 sets of plastic flatware, spatula, whisk, a paring knife and a spice shaker (Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle- its a great all purpose seasoning) are in the webbing loops. In the pockets behind the loops, are mylar packages of spices that hold about a teaspoon each. I have a mini Ghost Whale holding a dish wipe and soap, and a non TB pouch holding a nano towel. In the big mesh pocket, I have a chef knife in sheath, a tupperware gadget that scrubs veggies, a can opener, and a gentlemen's hardware kitchen tool that has a whole bunch of things in it - (lemon zester anyone?). Under the mesh pocket, I have a small Poppin notebook (like a moleskin cahier) that has menu ideas for easy to put together meals and shopping lists.

Comment

Cristina yes this is intended for car travel, but I can throw the HLT or mess kit into any luggage after removing knives.

Comment

That makes sense, car travel is so flexible that way. I travel by train, and though my travel kitchen is normally tucked into my travel bag, I also usually carry a tote of snacks (I travel with kids) and I can definitely see packing up a tote with both snacks for the duration of travel and also some of the in situ kitchen items, especially if I’m packing picnic plates and cups.

Cristina yes this is intended for car travel, but I can throw the HLT or mess kit into any luggage after removing knives.

Comment

I love that mess kit. How cool! I'll be searching for something similar here in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                      sturbridge I love your setup! Since the Pickup Truck is open-topped, is this for car-based travel? I love the mess kit with the flat strainer. I also love how well the utensils fit in the elastic loops in the HLT.

I have my Travel Kitchen in a CQPC and over lockdown I added to it, anticipating that the next time I did travel it would be even more based on self-catering. Really hoping to use it sometime in the near future.
                      The CQPC fits easily in the Pick-up Truck, as I showed in my 06-15-2020 post in the Clear Quarter Packing Cube thread started by labrain before they were retired.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2CE2D190-DC65-49F1-B2CA-C664FFA71531.png Views:	0 Size:	410.1 KB ID:	331102
                      (Retired) Solar Clear Quarter Packing Cube in Island 210d Pick-Up Truck with Colored Island Zipper Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches in A5 and Mini Sizes
                      I really like the mess kit, but I also like the fact that HLT 2 form factor transfers so easily into so many other bags and accessories. Now that everyone has started to receive their February pre-orders with the wealth of accessories like the Handy Little Things (HLTs in both sizes 1 and 2), Everyday Cubelets (ECs), Cubelets, Side Effects, and Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Bags (PCSBs), as well as this last run of the Pick-Up Trucks, including in new materials, I think we should revisit @G42’s thread, started just before Christmas, titled Ode to Pouches, Stuff Sacks, Cubes, & Other Organizational Bits
                      https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...izational-bits
                      Last edited by moriond; Yesterday, 06:57 PM.

Comment

It is handy to note the CQPC fits in a Pickup Truck, thank you for pointing it out. I just now put one inside the other and I quite like how they fit!

I always find it interesting to think about the ways of thinking revealed by packing decisions, and your post moriond, made me realize that it never even occurred to me to combine my kitchen kit with my snack tote 😂, mostly because I group items by where I’m going to use them instead of classifying them as food items and keeping them together. Brings me right back to library school...

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                        The CQPC fits easily in the Pick-up Truck, as I showed in my 06-15-2020 post in the Clear Quarter Packing Cube thread started by labrain before they were retired.
                        Fit of Clear Quarter Packing Cube in Pick-Up Truck​(Retired) Clear Quarter Packing Cube in 200d Halcyon in center of an Island 210d Ballistic Pick-Up Truck with Island Colored Zipper Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches in Mini and A5 sizes

I really like the mess kit, but I also like the fact that HLT 2 form factor transfers so easily into so many other bags and accessories. Now that everyone has started to receive their February pre-orders with the wealth of accessories like the Handy Little Things (HLTs in both sizes 1 and 2), Everyday Cubelets (ECs), Cubelets, Side Effects, and Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Bags (PCSBs), as well as this last run of the Pick-Up Trucks, including in new materials, I think we should revisit @G42’s thread, started just before Christmas, titled Ode to Pouches, Stuff Sacks, Cubes, & Other Organizational Bits
                        https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...izational-bits

Comment

Working...
                        X