What to pack for two weeks in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to pack for two weeks in Hawaii

I am planning a two week trip to Hawaii for my honeymoon once everything gets a bit safer. We are hoping to go in early October, but we'll have to see where the world is at by then. I have been reading a lot about everything you can do there and the different climates you can run into and I am trying to both figure out what to pack and (the more important part) what to pack it all in. With the restocks coming up and the pre-order, I was hoping to get some ideas about the best bags to take with us so I can order the bags I don't already have to try them out. I would greatly appreciate any help and recommendations anyone might have!
    3DOC,SK,SCB,A30, DLBP

Congratulations! Hawaii will be a stunning honeymoon!

Tough question! and maybe I can only speak for MrMoonMoon but I'd say it depends on what you want to do (Hiking? Surfing? Beach? Pool? Driving? etc), will do most, which island, et al.

With that, in general, in our experience, Hawaii is hot with VERY powerful Sun ... which for me means shorts, flipflops, long-sleeve sunshirt/t-shirt, brimmed hat, & sunglasses. I don't burn easily, but one time, even sitting fully in complete shade reading, I got burned on my face from the Sun reflecting off a pool! For reference & inspiration

Click image for larger version  Name:	720pool.png Views:	0 Size:	686.1 KB ID:	332200
    Sorry about the feet, but, yeah, the Sun is really strong and, in general, if you're close to the ocean (i.e., not up in the jungle in the mountains) on any island it's going to be hot & sunny - so #1 definitely pack for that (personally I try to avoid sunscreen and prefer to use clothes, but Hawaii is a bit of an exception if I'm by a pool or on the ocean.

That said, #2, at night it can get cool, so you'll want that next layer of easy to wear pants/dress (like linen for me - jeans are too heavy for me) and maybe a light sweater or fleece.

The other thing various places in Hawaii can have is sun showers (be it sunny or cloudy - not pouring rain* just that misty sun shower thing). For me, in Hawaii, I mostly always dress in clothes I don't care if they get wet because sun showers usually only last 10 or 15 minutes and even if you're standing in one the whole time you'll be dry about 20 minutes later so, again, the sunshirt/surfshirt/swimshirt type thing is perfect. Fast-dry travel clothes work excellent.

*Some off-the-path places, especially Kauai, get more "real" rain and if you're often venturing up into the mountains there, especially the very high mountains, I think it's the rainiest place on Earth! And the north side of Kauai (i.e., Princeville area), even by the Ocean, can get a decent rain; so if you're there and plan to be out a lot, you might want to have rain gear depending on the time of year.

In general, though, I'd say light breezy clothing that gives you protection from the Sun, but is also cool ... and you don't need very much, at least we don't!

#3 - and, of course, for your honeymoon you might want to go somewhere nice, so maybe an outfit or 2 for that (for me, that's dressier 'resort' pants & a polo or tasteful Hawaiian shirt ), but really just about everywhere in Hawaii is pretty chill dress-code-wise unless you really go looking for something more formal.

Not directly related to your question is island choice - and maybe you already know all this and/or have researched & decided (apologies if so! skip all this), but if you haven't been, our 2 cents:

Oahu - Smaller, tropical LA; *great* nightlife/clubs if that's your thing, lots of people, quieter stuff on the North Side. Must see: Pearl Harbor National Memorial
    Big Island - desolate beauty w/ a zillion crazy adventures; Must see: helicopter ride if possible over Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (science geeks: Keck observatory, but be warned, not the easiest trip)
    Maui - two islands in one; Must see: drive around the entire perimeter, hang out in Kaanapali
    Kauai - Quietest & rainiest; Must see: Sunset over Poipu Beach, tour of Nā Pali Coast

there's no wrong answer! Our favorite is Kauai - it's the least built up to our eye, there's not much nightlife (so if that's your thing, it's out!), and anything in the Poipu Beach area is going to be great if you like chill, quiet, peaceful but still w/ plenty of civilization (meaning there's a starbucks there ).

Also, it's tempting to go to a few islands, especially because it's easy to do with flights every 15-30 minutes until midnight or later ... it's a very personal choice, but for us, it's more fun and relaxing to stay on one island and really explore it ... so if you're doing that you might want to pick something must see for you both (volcano? Quiet? Adventure sports? Keck observatory? Pearl Harbor? etc) and then build your other activities on that island as they all have beach, fun, sun, sunsets, and Mai Tais

A few shots for inspiration!

Sunset near Wailea, Maui

Click image for larger version  Name:	SunsetMaui.png Views:	0 Size:	638.6 KB ID:	332201

Weekly sunset Luau @ The Grand Hyatt Poipu Beach, Kauai from our balcony!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SunsetLuauKauai.png Views:	0 Size:	638.2 KB ID:	332205

the wedding trestle @ The Grand Hyatt on Kauai (the white arch - wonder place for pictures!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	KauaiWedTrestle.gif Views:	0 Size:	8.33 MB ID:	332204

I hope things continue to improve and you're able to have an epic honeymoon wherever you go!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 05-14-2021, 12:55 AM.
    Seeking Verde Aeronauts and Ursa or Coyote Synik 30 GE

Comment

Congrats!!

Sadly I cannot comment on Hawaii itself (I hope to visit one day) but based on the excellent advice from GrussGott I had an idea that maybe you should look at an Aeronaut 30 as your bag.

If you will indeed be island-hopping you will want a small and easy-to-carry bag. You’d have to check the airline requirements of course for those small jaunts, but for the flight to Hawaii itself at least you wouldn’t have to check it. Since you’d be mostly packing hot weather clothes, you might fit two weeks worth without even worrying too much about laundry.

For the personal item bag, that kind of depends on what you need to keep with you, but I personally would consider the Icon or the Le Grand Derrière. The LGD would make a nice bag for hiking in the Hawaiian mountains in waist-bag mode or can be carried as a cross-body bag.

Since a honeymoon in Hawaii is of course a very special trip, I would maybe just plan on sending yourself a box of souvenirs before you leave, so you don’t have to carry an additional bag back. Even everyday hot weather things like a sun hat or flip flops would be a nice souvenir.

Choose your plane outfit wisely, as that could potentially be your one outfit for cooler weather (assuming you’re wanting to make the most of your packing space).

Good luck!

Originally posted by MsMoonMoon View Post
      I am planning a two week trip to Hawaii for my honeymoon once everything gets a bit safer. We are hoping to go in early October, but we'll have to see where the world is at by then. I have been reading a lot about everything you can do there and the different climates you can run into and I am trying to both figure out what to pack and (the more important part) what to pack it all in. With the restocks coming up and the pre-order, I was hoping to get some ideas about the best bags to take with us so I can order the bags I don't already have to try them out. I would greatly appreciate any help and recommendations anyone might have!

Comment

Congrats!

As folks have mentioned, warm weather clothes that pack small are generally the way to go. Hawaii is super hot to me, so (TMI) I would sink wash/rinse stuff most nights (unless I had actually access to laundry) because I would get all hot/sweaty/sandy/icky. Things dry pretty fast in all that heat!

One reco though, if you plan to go up to Haleakala on Maui for instance, it gets cold up there, especially if you're doing the sunrise thing. You will not be happy with shorts/t-shirt/sandals, so be prepared to bring warm things if that's part of your plan. Thin/packable long underwear under you long pants/long sleeve sun type shirt + fleece can work. A thin beanie hat & light gloves are good too and don't take up much room...just bring a base layer and pile everything on, YMMV of course, based on your comfort level.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Advance congratulations on your upcoming marriage! I won't repeat the travel advice but will say that there's something for everyone here and even if you only stay on O'ahu, you'll have plenty to do & see during your two weeks.

As most have said here, bring warm-weather clothing and have adequate sun protection -- hats are good, even essential, for any outdoor activity. My favorite sun hat is the Oasis Sun Sombrero by Outdoor Research: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/w...ombrero-264388. It has a stiff brim with a sturdy draw string for windy days; it also doubles well as a rain hat. It washes up beautifully and lasts forever -- I've had mine for 10-15 years, mostly worn during fieldwork here.

Bring a lightweight jacket, sweater, or something similar for cooler locales & times of the day.

Re: One bag travel. I have taken my A45 as my one bag a number of times while flying inter-island on Hawaiian. If it isn't stuffed to the gills, it fits just fine in the overhead compartment. If you end up on smaller aircraft -- like Mokulele's flights to Kapalua on Maui -- you will probably have to check the A45, possibly even the A30 or Tristar. The WF will probably fit.

CAUTION: I hate even having to write this but please be cognizant of your personal safety while in Hawai'i. With the pandemic putting so many out of work & creating general chaos over the last year, we've had a real uptick in property crimes. Do not leave any valuables -- even for 5 minutes -- in your vehicle. If you go hiking on the popular trails, it's important to leave nothing of value in your vehicle while it's parked at the trail head. Tourists have always been a target of these miscreants because they are transient & less likely to follow up on any prosecution. Please do what you can to stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
            if you plan to go up to Haleakala on Maui for instance, it gets cold up there
            Yeah, this is a great call out - Keck on Mauna Kea on the Big Island is also pretty dang cold and gets snow! Hawaii is so awesome for all the varied things you can do ...

As a side note, one of my favorite things to do is drive Saddle Road on the Big Island (which the car rental agreements tell you SPECIFICALLY not to do ) it's about the closest thing to Mars I'll ever see.
            Seeking Verde Aeronauts and Ursa or Coyote Synik 30 GE

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

As a side note, one of my favorite things to do is drive Saddle Road on the Big Island (which the car rental agreements tell you SPECIFICALLY not to do ) it's about the closest thing to Mars I'll ever see.
              Much of the Saddle Road from the Hilo area to beyond Pohakuloa Training Area has been widened so it is much safer now than the old two-lane highway. I'm pretty sure that all rental companies allow their vehicles to use it when crossing the island from Hilo to Waimea and then on to Kona. Still off-limits for rental cars are any unpaved roads, such as the gravel road leading to the Mauna Kea summit area above the visitors' center.

If you want to see the summit at sunset, try taking one of the observatory tours: http://www.malamamaunakea.org/visito...commercial-use. They are all inclusive & even provide parkas for their customers! It's probably the best if not the only way to see the summit at sunset. I've attached a couple of photos from some years ago when I was doing fieldwork at Mauna Kea & had a chance to go up at sunset. Not only is the sunset view beautiful but it's quite something to watch the telescopes open up as darkness falls.

Comment

Thank you guys so much for all of the responses! I really appreciate it and sorry about the delayed response on my side. I absolutely agree on the A30 and luckily I own one that I love and have used before on a couple of other long beach/hot weather destinations. I also appreciate the recommendations about how specifically pack for the sunrise trips that are supposed to be cold as I wasn't too sure, but I have the heat-tech pants and shirt from Uniqulo and I can throw some pants, shirt, sun shirt, top layer of some sort on top of all of that and light gloves and a hat and that should work. My big question I guess is for my "day bag" I was thinking of bringing my DLBP folded in the bottom of my A30 and either my SK, SCB, or the MCB I ordered, but my DLBP is black halcyon and I wasn't sure if I should order one of the lighter colored ballistic ones if the black halcyon would get too hot in the sun (I was thinking either the mars red or the wilderness)?

We are planning on going to both Oahu and Maui and doing a big mix of beach, hiking, and general adventuring. We will have a car on Maui, but will be using the Bus mostly on Oahu. I am definitely used to the hot and aggressive sun as I live in the Phoenix, AZ area and already have to be careful at home not to get burned so I will be buying sunscreen when we get there, already have a cute wide brimmed sun hat, and have SPF shirt and leggings (the leggings are new to me and I am obsessed/yay on no weird tan lines).

Thank you also for pointing out the car break in fact. I have read about it in some of my research, but I really appreciated the reminder! I did have a question about it though, one of the pages I came across said that we should honestly just leave our car unlocked to prove that we have nothing to be stolen. That seemed a bit far to me, but if that is a good idea, I can definitely try to make sure we do that.
                3DOC,SK,SCB,A30, DLBP

Comment

Originally posted by MsMoonMoon View Post
                  We will have a car on Maui, but will be using the Bus mostly on Oahu.

Thank you also for pointing out the car break in fact. I have read about it in some of my research, but I really appreciated the reminder! I did have a question about it though, one of the pages I came across said that we should honestly just leave our car unlocked to prove that we have nothing to be stolen. That seemed a bit far to me, but if that is a good idea, I can definitely try to make sure we do that.
                  Re: Bus on O'ahu. The Bus is switching to a Holo card (like London's Oyster card) system as of July 1: https://www.holocard.net/en/. If you're going to be relying on The Bus then it will probably be worth it for you both to get Holo cards and load them as you need to do so. It looks like there are lots of locations in Waikiki for purchasing Holo cards, if you'll be there for any length of time.

Re: leaving your car unlocked. That can work and it may also reduce the chances of damage (e.g., broken windows). I am so sorry that this is the situation but I also hate to see visitors have their stay ruined by these crimes.

Again, congratulations & enjoy your stay.

Comment

Hope you will consider a condo for at least your Maui stay. For the same or lower price of a hotel room, you can get much more space to spread out. Also most condos hve laundry facilities directly in your unit. I usually just pick for 1 week, and do laundry if we are staying longer. At sea level it will be quite warm. Think shorts, bathing suits and tees. The higher elevations have a much wider range of temps. I often find the plane flight over can be quite cold so whatever sweater or jacket I use on the plane can be used when in colder spots. Congrats on your upcoming marriage and hve a wonderful time. aloha!

Comment

Working...
                    X