Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,183   Members: 6,708   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, drkrokr.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I strap my snorkel fins to my synapse 19?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How can I strap my snorkel fins to my synapse 19?

    I have 20” snorkel fins and am trying to plan my packing strategy for whenever it’s safe to travel again. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can strap my fins to my synapse 19? If you have pictures, that would be great. Thanks!

    #2
    Originally posted by cucumber.sandwich View Post
    I have 20” snorkel fins and am trying to plan my packing strategy for whenever it’s safe to travel again. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can strap my fins to my synapse 19? If you have pictures, that would be great. Thanks!
    Could you try using either the Road Buddy Lash straps or the Simple Rolling Luggage Lash Strap? The Road Buddy Lash Straps are 1” wide and 33” long according to the description. That seems enough to fit around either a Synapse 19 or a Synik 22. The Rolling Luggage Lash Strap is 1.5” wide and 37” long. I have the Road Buddy Lash straps for bag hacking. I don’t have Rolling Luggage Lash Strap, but there’s a video on the product page. I can’t check this because my fins are packed away in storage.

    There’s also a product I saw from Matador called Matador’s Better Tether you can find it listed at REI, Amazon, etc. It seems designed for more extreme situations than attaching your fins, but you could probably wrap the cord several times around to secure your fins (length of each tether is 80”, or 2 meters, and it can hold up to 200 lbs.) I mentioned it in the Adding additional exterior lash points to SN22? thread, but I’ve never seen it discussed here
    https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...points-to-sn22

    Comment


      #3
      I haven't bought or used this, but perhaps they could work at the top grab handle to the fin straps

      https://www.gossamergear.com/product...nt=30497170188

      in general, I was googling around 'backpack bungee net' or 'backpack cargo net' thinking that some sort of thing like that would be good...all sorts of things come up, such as this

      https://www.amazon.com/Tribe-One-Out.../dp/B00XJU86OU


      again, haven't tried any of this, but that was my first thought - a flexible bungee net with different types of attachment options... adding simple velcro loops to ends of a net wouldn't be too hard and then use that to attach to various parts of the straps on the S19 or the diamonds on a GE
      Last edited by G42; 06-04-2021, 01:27 PM.
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

      Comment


        #4
        Thank you to both of you. I like the idea of a bungee cord/net to hold them close to my bag. I can use a TB webbing strap to hook them to the handle on the bag, but I really don’t want them flipping around, so I will consider this bungee option in addition to the webbing. I am also trying to figure out if they would fit inside a synik 22 with the fins slightly curved.

        Comment


          #5
          Sorry, I don't have pictures at the moment, but I'll do my best to describe my ideas.

          How flexible are the fins? I wouldn't recommend trying to fit them inside unless the fins are very flexible, or you might permanently deform them.

          Are they full/ closed foot fins, or partial/open foot fins? If they are open foot style fins, you could connect them through the ankle strap with a carabiner, strap, or bungee to the bottom Guardian light strap on the bag. Or alternatively, you could use the removable waist straps to tie it to the back, and secure it with the top grab handle.

          My suggestion for closed-foot design fins would be to carry them in a shop bag or tote separately. or, put them in a mesh laundry sack and clip them to the outside top handle. If you have a Guides Edition, you can also use the lash straps and secure them in the middle diamond attachment point.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by zkai5 View Post
            Sorry, I don't have pictures at the moment, but I'll do my best to describe my ideas.

            How flexible are the fins? I wouldn't recommend trying to fit them inside unless the fins are very flexible, or you might permanently deform them.

            Are they full/ closed foot fins, or partial/open foot fins? If they are open foot style fins, you could connect them through the ankle strap with a carabiner, strap, or bungee to the bottom Guardian light strap on the bag. Or alternatively, you could use the removable waist straps to tie it to the back, and secure it with the top grab handle.

            My suggestion for closed-foot design fins would be to carry them in a shop bag or tote separately. or, put them in a mesh laundry sack and clip them to the outside top handle. If you have a Guides Edition, you can also use the lash straps and secure them in the middle diamond attachment point.
            Hi zkai5 In a later post the original poster identified these as Scuba Pro Go Travel Fins, which are open heel design. Since there's no Guide's Edition version of the Synapse 19, I was proposing to use lash straps that go around bag and fins. I agree that the top handle loop and the bottom webbing for the Guardian light can also be used as points to secure this.

            moriond

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by cucumber.sandwich View Post
              I have 20” snorkel fins and am trying to plan my packing strategy for whenever it’s safe to travel again. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can strap my fins to my synapse 19? If you have pictures, that would be great. Thanks!
              Well, I just looked and these might be hard to get or discontinued, but a company called TribeOne makes a pack net that can attach to any part of the bag without damaging the bag - I've used this in the past with Deuter and TB2 bags but I've never used it with TB bags (that I remember) because I don't have it anymore (bummer! ); that said it does work well and never did any damage no matter how heavy of stuff (fins are pretty light!)

              Tribe One Outdoors OP Series PackNet

              The way the net attaches is pretty unique design - via these things:

              Click image for larger version  Name:	packtech.png Views:	0 Size:	150.4 KB ID:	332907
              You can see how it works in this pic (and how versatile & useful!):
              Click image for larger version  Name:	packtach2.png Views:	0 Size:	316.2 KB ID:	332908
              And how it looks on a bag:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	packtach3.png Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	332909
              Click image for larger version

Name:	_ql70_fmwebp_.png
Views:	310
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	332919
              The key is the plastic things called PackTachs which have a rounded design that doesn't damage the material (there are knock-offs on Amazon that do) and according to Amazon the product isn't discontinued and the company is out of Utah - Just for heck of it, I sent them an email inquiring ... as mentioned I did use them with no problems.

              And they are still available from Japanese distributors for $80 via Amazon

              They would definitely be a cool Tom Bihn tested and approved accessory!
              Last edited by GrussGott; 06-06-2021, 04:26 PM.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by zkai5 View Post
                Sorry, I don't have pictures at the moment, but I'll do my best to describe my ideas.

                How flexible are the fins? I wouldn't recommend trying to fit them inside unless the fins are very flexible, or you might permanently deform them.

                Are they full/ closed foot fins, or partial/open foot fins? If they are open foot style fins, you could connect them through the ankle strap with a carabiner, strap, or bungee to the bottom Guardian light strap on the bag. Or alternatively, you could use the removable waist straps to tie it to the back, and secure it with the top grab handle.

                My suggestion for closed-foot design fins would be to carry them in a shop bag or tote separately. or, put them in a mesh laundry sack and clip them to the outside top handle. If you have a Guides Edition, you can also use the lash straps and secure them in the middle diamond attachment point.
                I don’t know how I missed these last few replies. These are great ideas. I have the scuba pro go travel open foot fin, so maybe I can attach the ankle straps to the bike light strap as you mentioned, and then have the fins facing up and secure them to the pack somehow with a small bungee cord. I will have to figure out where the attachment points would have to be for the bungee cord though. I wish I had the guided edition. What would have been really amazing is if there was a solid black guides edition. I just bought the Synik 22 and haven’t received it yet, but I will be using it instead of the synapse 19 for travel since it has a place to put my iPad.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

                  Well, I just looked and these might be hard to get or discontinued, but a company called TribeOne makes a pack net that can attach to any part of the bag without damaging the bag - I've used this in the past with Deuter and TB2 bags but I've never used it with TB bags (that I remember) because I don't have it anymore (bummer! ); that said it does work well and never did any damage no matter how heavy of stuff (fins are pretty light!)

                  Tribe One Outdoors OP Series PackNet

                  The way the net attaches is pretty unique design - via these things:

                  Click image for larger version Name:	packtech.png Views:	0 Size:	150.4 KB ID:	332907
                  You can see how it works in this pic (and how versatile & useful!):
                  Click image for larger version Name:	packtach2.png Views:	0 Size:	316.2 KB ID:	332908
                  And how it looks on a bag:
                  Click image for larger version Name:	packtach3.png Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	332909
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	_ql70_fmwebp_.png
Views:	310
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	332919
                  The key is the plastic things called PackTachs which have a rounded design that doesn't damage the material (there are knock-offs on Amazon that do) and according to Amazon the product isn't discontinued and the company is out of Utah - Just for heck of it, I sent them an email inquiring ... as mentioned I did use them with no problems.

                  And they are still available from Japanese distributors for $80 via Amazon

                  They would definitely be a cool Tom Bihn tested and approved accessory!
                  Somehow I just noticed the last few replies now, but I appreciate your reply. I am going to be looking into this net. Thank you!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by cucumber.sandwich View Post

                    Somehow I just noticed the last few replies now, but I appreciate your reply. I am going to be looking into this net. Thank you!
                    Let us know what you find! It seemed that the company was having trouble sourcing them and/or went out of business

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

                      Let us know what you find! It seemed that the company was having trouble sourcing them and/or went out of business
                      All of them seem to be out of stock on their website, so I’m wondering if they went under because of covid. It seems like a good product from the reviews I watched. I sent them an email just in case. I would really like the mini one.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X