Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,576   Posts: 188,295   Members: 6,534   Active Members: 280
Welcome to our newest member, Skysarwer.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to travel again after not traveling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    Thanks everyone! I arrived without incident or fanfare to JFK on Sunday morning. The plane was only about 1/4 full in premium economy. I heard that business class was more filled than that.

Our flight out was delayed because of a delayed flight that was full of transfer passengers. In fact 4 flights were delayed because of that flight. In today’s Covid climate missed connections take on a new level of difficulties.

New York City has been beautiful!
    Please keep us updated & please post a few pics if you get a chance ... now I'm invested

Leave a comment:

• Duggy'sMom
    replied
    Thanks everyone! I arrived without incident or fanfare to JFK on Sunday morning. The plane was only about 1/4 full in premium economy. I heard that business class was more filled than that.

Our flight out was delayed because of a delayed flight that was full of transfer passengers. In fact 4 flights were delayed because of that flight. In today’s Covid climate missed connections take on a new level of difficulties.

New York City has been beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• BigBadD
    replied
    Turning personal air vent on/off will not affect the efficient and filtered recycling of air and exterior fresh air passing through cabin. This is maintained through many always open vents around cabin. But it will improve airflow around you, so probably a good idea to have vent open, but within limits of being comfortable for such a long flight.

Agree with previous post. Bring some disinfectant wipes to use regularly, and be sure to have some comfortable masks. That’s where I love the Tom Bihn Mask Headstraps - which I was just surprised to see were back in stock, as I thought they had been discontinued - as they avoid pressure on ears.

Have a safe and great trip.
    Last edited by BigBadD; 09-18-2021, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ms. Ferret
    replied
    I've done three round trip flights across the country since last year, and for the most part people have been safe and careful. More people are traveling now -- my first set of flights last summer were very nearly empty, which was a nice change, but my flights last fall were definitely fuller, and the flights I took last month were basically back up to normal capacity.
    • Like Kevo, I turn the vent full blast directly on myself to try to avoid breathing in whatever my fellow passengers are breathing out.
    • I wipe down the tray table and armrests with hand sanitizer as soon as I sit down. Sometimes airlines will hand out sanitizing towelettes to do this, but don't count on this (or on them thoroughly cleaning the cabin between flights, apparently).
    • Make sure your mask is comfortable to wear for hours on end and will not make your ears want to fall off after the first hour of continuous wear! Luckily I learned my lesson during long ferry rides in Seattle and prepared accordingly.
    Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Leave a comment:

• bramhubbel
    replied
    I've been on four international flights in and out of JFK in the last couple of months. I'm quite impressed by how much people are following smart and safe practices. I haven't seen anyone not wearing a mask in the airport. On the flights, people have been wearing masks. They remove them when eating or drinking, but put them back on after the meals. I think some of the horror stories about domestic flights are more a reflection of the partisan divide within the US, whereas folks who are flying internationally seem to accept the basic guidelines about personal and group safety. In general, I felt safe, and I was really happy to get to be traveling again. Enjoy the trip to Singapore. It's one of my favorite cities in the world, and I look forward to visiting again.

Leave a comment:

• Kevo
    replied
    On the flight, bundle up and keep your overhead vent on you as much as you can tolerate. The air blowing through it is a mixture of air recycled from the cabin (through a filter) and fresh from outside. Better to breathe that than whatever your fellow passengers are exhaling!

That said (and this is very much "do as I say, not as I do"), do try to avoid getting COVID, but don't let yourself be preoccupied with it. You've taken the available precautions, and that's all you can do. Don't let the fear ruin a good trip!

Leave a comment:

• Duggy'sMom
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes and for your advice.

I recently found a stash of New York Times Sunday crossword puzzles that I had cut out of the newspaper. I think they must be 5-10 years old 😂. Looking forward to old school crosswords.

My pre-departure test came back negative and I’ve checked in online.

Now it’s just last minute items to pack and waiting.

Leave a comment:

• Aventurera
    replied
    Hi Duggy'sMom. It sounds like you're well prepared. Have you packed some good reading material, to help take your mind off the craziness during the flight?

Normally I recommend people plan ahead of time to reduce jetlag (https://www.jetlagrooster.com/ is a great tool), but that can mean adding to your grogginess on arrival. JFK is a madhouse at the best of times. Please take care of yourself during the flight and on arrival.

I hope you have an easy and uneventful flight, and are able to get to your end destination with minimal stress.

Leave a comment:

• Bogiesan
    replied
    I don't have any of the links on file but a quick search for "surviving long haul flights" will return a rich selection of tips and tricks for keeping your sanity during 8- to 15-hour-long flights. Mostly: set your clocks and watch to destination time, force yourself to sleep, get up and walk around every 30-60 minutes if you're not asleep, caffeine and alcohol at your peril. Try to enjoy yourself and follow the protocols that have kept you safe up to tis point.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    That’s a long flight! But I have done regular train rides since May 2021 (totaling 10 hours a week) as part of my commute (and have PCR-tested negative every week throughout), and I think the same principles apply. Stay masked whenever possible, disinfect hands before and after touching your mask, etc. This is just my own theory, but if possible I’d think you’d want to try to eat on a different cycle than most others on the plane. The filtration systems on aircraft are supposed to be very good, so you should be fine!

Leave a comment:

• Cristina
    replied
    I have yet to do my first trip since Covid, but I just want to say good luck, have a great trip, and you sound very prepared. I’m sure you’ll handle any bumps along the way.

Leave a comment:

• Duggy'sMom
    started a topic How to travel again after not traveling?

How to travel again after not traveling?

Hi everyone! I’m about 33 hours before I fly and I’m rather nervous. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve been on a plane.

It’s an 18+hr flight. I’ve packed surgical masks, N95s, hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes. I’ve chosen a window seat that’s two rows away from the nearest person. I went to get a PCR test this morning. Still waiting for the results which hopefully will come in time.

For those of you who have been traveling, any tips you can share? TIA

I’m flying into JFK from Singapore.
Working...
X