Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,205   Members: 6,714   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, adb755.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would an Aeronaut 30 Work As a Personal Item on Alligent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would an Aeronaut 30 Work As a Personal Item on Alligent?

I'm going to a wedding on a very short weekend trip. I only have one non-travel day, getting in the Friday night before, spending Saturday there and then leaving early Sunday. I'm basically just packing toiletries, dress, dress shoes, sleep clothes and an extra shirt.

Alligent Air (budget US airline) had the best price for this trip. My parents bought my plane ticket for me and bought the carry-on add on package. I'm trying to avoid putting anything in the overhead bin since I'm packing so light. Will the aeronaut 30 pass as a personal item? The "official" personal item dimensions are 16x15x9. The Aeronaut 30 is listed as 19.7" (w) x 12.6" (h) x 7.9" (d) so a bit too "wide", but I won't be packing it full. I have both synapses (19 and 25), but since I need to bring a dress and some fancy shoes (probably low heels/flats), I worry about cramming that stuff into a more traditional backpack and avoiding wrinkles.
    ​​​​​​
    It's been a while since I've traveled, so I'm a little nervous about it. Luckily, I do have the option of the carry-on so I can use the bin if my bag doesn't fit under the seat.

I have not flown Allegiant, but (hopefully) if you leave one of the end pockets empty so that the length is actually 16" you'll be all right, since it would fit in a sizer? Stow the backpack straps and any shoulder strap before arriving at the terminal and hand-carry the bag; it looks smaller that way IMO. Good luck with the travel!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
      I have not flown Allegiant, but (hopefully) if you leave one of the end pockets empty so that the length is actually 16" you'll be all right, since it would fit in a sizer? Stow the backpack straps and any shoulder strap before arriving at the terminal and hand-carry the bag; it looks smaller that way IMO. Good luck with the travel!
      Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. My trip isn't until October, but I'll try to remember to post back here with an update on how it worked out.

Comment

I'm trying to avoid putting anything in the overhead bin since I'm packing so light.
        I do not understand your reluctance to use the overhead bin.You have pre-paid for the premium carryon so go ahead and take a small backpack as your personal item and use your carryon upgrade to stash your A30 overhead. You don't need to fill both items on the way out but you may appreciate the extra volume on the return trip for laundry, souvenirs &c.

As bchaplin says, the Aeronaut 30 (8x13x20, but packed out more like 9x14x21) tends to look smaller than it really is and often passes scrutiniy by gatekeepers. No way for anyone to predict what happens at your boarding gate, though.

From Alligiant's site:
        Every passenger can bring One Free Personal Item Your Personal Item (like a purse, briefcase, or a small backpack) must be stored completely underneath the seat in front of you. Maximum dimensions are 7 x 15 x 16 inches (17.8 x 38.1 x 40.6 centimeters)
        You can purchase One Carry-On Bag per passenger Your one Carry-on Bag (such as a roll-aboard or garment bag) must fit in the overhead bin. Maximum size is 9 x 14 x 22 inches (22.9 x 35.6 x 55.9 centimeters)

https://www.allegiantair.com/baggage-1

Comment

Originally posted by Bogiesan View Post

I do not understand your reluctance to use the overhead bin.You have pre-paid for the premium carryon so go ahead and take a small backpack as your personal item and use your carryon upgrade to stash your A30 overhead. You don't need to fill both items on the way out but you may appreciate the extra volume on the return trip for laundry, souvenirs &c.

As bchaplin says, the Aeronaut 30 (8x13x20, but packed out more like 9x14x21) tends to look smaller than it really is and often passes scrutiniy by gatekeepers. No way for anyone to predict what happens at your boarding gate, though.

From Alligiant's site:
          Every passenger can bring One Free Personal Item Your Personal Item (like a purse, briefcase, or a small backpack) must be stored completely underneath the seat in front of you. Maximum dimensions are 7 x 15 x 16 inches (17.8 x 38.1 x 40.6 centimeters)
          You can purchase One Carry-On Bag per passenger Your one Carry-on Bag (such as a roll-aboard or garment bag) must fit in the overhead bin. Maximum size is 9 x 14 x 22 inches (22.9 x 35.6 x 55.9 centimeters)

https://www.allegiantair.com/baggage-1
          Thanks! I'm just trying to make it a "personal item" only trip since I'll really only be there for 1 full day and that's a perfect opportunity to try and pack minimally. It's for a family wedding so there won't be any souvenirs or much dirty laundry aside from what I'm bringing home. I do have the carry-on option purchased, so I do have a fall-back, but I wanted to see if I could do it all in a personal item.

Comment

I'm trying to avoid putting anything in the overhead bin since I'm packing so light.
            Ah, goal is not clear in this statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogiesan View Post

Ah, goal is not clear in this statement.
              I realize that it's a bit of an odd predicament that I'm pushing on myself. I love the idea of one-bagging for travel, but have never been successful at it. Every trip I try and cut down what I bring to the necessities and it still usually ends up being two bags. Since the stakes are so low on this trip (no extra fees for needing a carry-on), I'm wanting to find the "largest" personal item that can fit under the seat so if I do take a longer trip someday, I know what bag works if I opt to not purchase the carry on option.

Comment

nolegrl I think self challenges that help you poke at your own behaviors, habits, assumptions, etc are fun ☺️
                I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Working...
                X