Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,205   Members: 6,714   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, adb755.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to carry in-seat stuff while flying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to carry in-seat stuff while flying?

After a long period of not traveling for business I’m doing a lot of trips, and I’ve been using my synapse 19 as the bag I take onboard, checking a main bag for the bulk of what I bring.

The synapse 19 works pretty well, but it takes up enough space under the seat that I prefer to put it in the bin. But between a kindle, ANC headphones, and a few more things there’s enough stuff I want to take out of the backpack but still have in a bag during the flight. It needs to be at least 8x9” to fit my headphones, and maybe a pocket or two would be nice. I can’t seem to find a TB item that would work for this, short of like a small cafe bag but I don’t need the strap nor very heavy construction.

What do you use to hold the stuff you use during a flight?

Thanks!

swduncan The classic answer is to use a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Side Kick, or Side Effect plus some of the double swivel carabineers, for a Bag in Bag set up.

Check out the bag hack video around the 1:30 mark, showing it with the Side Effect
    https://vimeo.com/160672777

Based on your dimensions, the PCSB is probably the size you want for this hack. Board the plane, tuck your pack under the seat, and pull out the PCSB as soon as the chime rings for 10,000 feet... If you're stowing the pack in the overhead, wait until you can get up or stow the BinB under your seat.

Note that the PCSB may sag a little, but the Kindle will help with that, as would a book, or a medium Organizer Pouch, or anything reasonably rigid.
    Last edited by G42; 05-25-2022, 09:16 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by swduncan View Post
      What do you use to hold the stuff you use during a flight?
      Big agreement with what G42 said, the PCSB is invaluable for something like this - here's a few pics (a bit old but no changes for me!) of how I do it - the SSC is a diddy kit with ear plugs, eyeshade, bandaids, lip balm, kleenex, etc on one side and snacks on the other.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=331324.png Views:	0 Size:	820.6 KB ID:	340143

And, now I use Sony ANC headphones, which I used to use a SSC as a case for, but I've switch to the B&W case in the pic as they fit great and it's extra protection:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=331160.png Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	340144

Here's the setup on a Delta seatback with the pilot below (and my wife's 20yo LLbean backpack next to the pilot :

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=300754.jpg Views:	0 Size:	795.5 KB ID:	340145

Here's what it looks like on a bulkhead seat:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=300752.jpg Views:	0 Size:	753.8 KB ID:	340146

Here's a view in a tight SW seat, same setup, Pilot is below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=300594.jpg Views:	0 Size:	944.4 KB ID:	340149

and, when using the pilot as my underseat bag, usually the PCSB goes into the back of it, but if I'm really hogging it, then I put the PCSB into piggyback mode on the Pilot:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=300751.jpg Views:	0 Size:	537.0 KB ID:	340147

But, I have to confess. I've gotten bad - now I put the PCSB into the pilot and put the pilot into a WF and that's my underseat bag these days (the reason for the WF is, for long flights, I bring my own food in an insulated bag & it fits perfect into a front pocket of the WF)

IF it's useful, here the PCSB next to the PIlot with the WF & A45 in the background:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=300874.jpg Views:	0 Size:	608.5 KB ID:	340148
      Last edited by GrussGott; 05-27-2022, 12:25 AM.

Comment

GrussGott these are amazing pics and great inspiration for me too. Thank you!

Comment

Same with me: couple of little carabiners hold a basic zippered bag to the back of the seat in front of me. Two benefits: my bag is easier get stuff into and out of and, since I don't use the seat's pocket for ANYTHING, I don't leave anything behind. The bag zips closed and fits easily in my carryon. Holds all my in-flight needs including headphones, snacks, book, iPad, meds and emollients, masks, cables, &c. The bag is roughly 12" tall x 16" wide and came with an REI duffle.

Comment

One note for everyone, I'm not sure of the latest shipping design of the PCSB, but, for awhile, TB made them with strap clips on the top, not the sides, thus the bag-hanging trick won't work with any PCSBs that have the top clip design

Comment

Working...
            X