Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,302   Posts: 197,944   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, MollyyEvelynn.

European Budget Carry-on limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aiethabell
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2007

Now THAT was a sizer I'd expected it to fit, since Allegiant so nicely used an Aeronaut as its bag-sizer photo carry-on bag. It just wouldn't be fittin' (pardon the pun) if the Aeronaut DIDN'T fit that particular sizer!
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Comment

• roarmouse
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2012

I hope to use Allegiant to visit relatives later this summer/fall..That pic gave me a chuckle. *crosses fingers* S25..You will be mine!

Comment

• bradnd99
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2013

I flew Norwegian Air a few days ago with my Aeronaut 45 and my NFTD. It was not a problem at all. I fly them again in 2 weeks so I'll update this if it is any different.

Comment

• bradnd99
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2013

FYI..my 2nd flight on Norwegian was not a problem at all. I saw many passengers with larger bags than the Aeronaut and the NFTD, so you should be good with those sized item. Great airline by the way.

Comment

• Yokosmom
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2015

Has anyone flown South African Airways? They have a weight limit, but I'm not sure whether they actually weigh hand luggage or not. I'll probably be flying them for several flight segments next year.
            Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Comment

• Yokosmom
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2015

Whoops, just realized that this was a thread for European budget airlines--sorry.
              Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Comment

• ceb
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Yokosmom View Post
                Whoops, just realized that this was a thread for European budget airlines--sorry.
                You're right. It should have gone into the "Americas" section

The last time I flew SAA they didn't weigh carry-ons. A few things to consider:

Boarding speed is of utmost importance. Does the carry-on "look" like it is heavy? Does the counter even have the capability of weighing bags? Can you take something heavy out and put it back once on the plane?
                When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

• Yokosmom
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2015

I'll be taking an Aeronaut 45 and probably a CP--it's a month long trip. I've even considered getting one of those "gadget" vests--you know, the kind with 35 pockets for every gizmo and camera under the sun. They just changed their weight limit in the past year or so, so I don't know how strict they are about weighing things. Like, do they weigh absolutely everything, or only carry ons that look over the limit. If the Aeronaut isn't stuffed, maybe I can get by with it.

Comment

• bchaplin
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2010

The one time I flew them, I don't remember my luggage being weighed. It was a few years ago, though. I think it was a Jo-burg to Lagos flight or something like that.

My general experience traveling different airlines, including European and African ones, is that reasonably-sized soft-sided bags, like the Tom Bihn ones, aren't usually at risk for being checked. The bigger concern, in my experience, is getting on the plane last and finding there is no overhead space. My policy is not to worry about it, but to have my most essential stuff in an internal bag or cube that I could pull out if needed, should my larger bag be gate-checked. The "essentials" bag contains a few changes of clothes, meds, basic toiletries and anything I feel I can't live without. For the price of a gadget vest, you could get a Daylight Backpack which would serve that function, and be a fun item to have besides.

And your tech stuff will probably be in your Co-Pilot anyway?
                    ----
                    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

• ceb
                      Forum Member
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                      The one time I flew them, I don't remember my luggage being weighed. It was a few years ago, though. I think it was a Jo-burg to Lagos flight or something like that.

My general experience traveling different airlines, including European and African ones, is that reasonably-sized soft-sided bags, like the Tom Bihn ones, aren't usually at risk for being checked. The bigger concern, in my experience, is getting on the plane last and finding there is no overhead space. My policy is not to worry about it, but to have my most essential stuff in an internal bag or cube that I could pull out if needed, should my larger bag be gate-checked. The "essentials" bag contains a few changes of clothes, meds, basic toiletries and anything I feel I can't live without. For the price of a gadget vest, you could get a Daylight Backpack which would serve that function, and be a fun item to have besides.

I actually knew someone who travelled for a week using only the pockets in his ScottEvest raincoat because he was flying airlines that charged for everything but the clothes on your back. I don't think I'd want to do that. He had clothing folded and in the lower pockets and was wearing double pants. His coat must have weighed 20 lbs
                      When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

• Frank II
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2009

Travel writer Rolf Potts travelled around the world with nothing but Scottevest clothes.

No Baggage Challenge -- Around the World with no luggage
                        Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

• bb93fo57
                          Forum Member
                          • Mar 2014

Last month, there was a story about a passenger trying to get around baggage fees by putting on 12 layers of clothes:

Singer from Glasgow boyband Rewind passes out during a flight after putting on 12 layers of clothes - Home News - UK - The Independent

Spoiler alert: it didn't go so well.

"A singer in a boyband collapsed on a plane due to overheating, because he wore all his clothes at the same time in an effort to get around excess baggage charges... During the flight, he was wearing six t-shirts, five jumpers, three pairs of jeans, two pairs of jogging bottoms, two jackets and two hats."
                          Last edited by bb93fo57; 08-08-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Yokosmom
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2015

For the price of a gadget vest, you could get a Daylight Backpack which would serve that function, and be a fun item to have besides.

I was thinking of packing a Daylight Backpack, but was worried about the weight I was planning on putting my headphones and small tablet(s) in the Co-Pilot, but figure that my large camera and binoculars wouldn't fit. However, a Daylight Backpack is on my wish list for reasons outside of this trip, so thanks for giving me even more reason to pick one up.

I'm probably being a bit paranoid about the weight issue, but they changed the requirements just last January, I believe, so thought that they might be stricter, at least for a while. Some of the airports that I'll be flying through have a reputation for theft, so I am reluctant to check the Aeronaut.

Comment

Working...
                            X