Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,423   Members: 6,450   Active Members: 339
Welcome to our newest member, indobandarq.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three-week trip with an Aeronaut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badger
    replied
    I made a salad tonight (see recipe below) and the dogs were pretty funny about it. When I was prepping the fennel, I was feeding them bites of it, and they were like "crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch . . ." and being kind of pokey about eating it. Once we had dressed the salad and were about to sit down, I gave them some fennel and they were like, "gulp." They really prefer their salad dressed (and blue cheesed, natch).

Salad that my Corgis Like:
    halve a fennel bulb lengthwise; core and shave paper-thin with a chef's knife. Dump in a bowl. Peel a green apple, core, and julienne. Dump that into the bowl, too. Chop up about 1 TBSP of fennel fronds. Into the bowl. Toast a big handful of pecans, and crumble up a nice hunk of blue cheese, like Cashel or Gorgonzola dolce. Don't dump in bowl just yet (ha! gotcha!).

Make a dressing of 1.5 TBSP lemon juice, 1.5 tsp white wine or champagne vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/4 c olive oil, and S/P to taste. Dress the salad with this dressing and add extra pepper and maybe a little extra salt, too. Top with pecans and blue cheese. Feed to corgis from the table, saving the pecans and biggest chunks of cheese for yourself because they don't take the time to savor it, the philistines.

Leave a comment:

• marbenais
    replied
    Of course I'm late to this thread, but two of my dogs now have been obsessed with the hearts of Romaine lettuce (the white stem parts, NOT the leafy green parts -- it works out very well for our salads!). When Rosalind was teething, I'd stick the white pieces in the freezer, and that worked very well. Zoe's favorite treats were baby carrots, but Rosalind won't eat them.
    She's the least food-motivated dog I have ever met, with very notable exceptions for the aforementioned lettuce, beef, and peanut butter. She'll play with food, but she rarely finishes her food.

We need to get around to taking pictures with our FoT pouches! Since I've used mine more, the embossing is almost worn off, but the other one is still in good condition.

Leave a comment:

• Walker
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    They're still fading, but they're doing as well as can be expected. The lady chapel is just as pretty as ever, and that strange fresco of Judgement Day maintains its eerie luridness.

On a happier note, gelato! The gelateria is called Pasqualetti. There's one to the left of the Duomo if you're facing it, and another on the Corso Cavour
    Yes, those frescoes are lovely. I ate too much of the gelato from Pasqualetti by the Duomo. And too much gastronomic delights along those little streets.

Leave a comment:

• Janine
    replied
    Beautiful pictures, and I love the way you worked your FoT into so many of them! :-D

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Mmmmm gelato.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by Walker View Post
    I will walk to Orvieto for that gelato Are the frescoes inside the church okay? They were fading badly when I saw them years ago.
    They're still fading, but they're doing as well as can be expected. The lady chapel is just as pretty as ever, and that strange fresco of Judgement Day maintains its eerie luridness.

On a happier note, gelato! The gelateria is called Pasqualetti. There's one to the left of the Duomo if you're facing it, and another on the Corso Cavour (across the street from an underwear shop IIRC--nope, I was wrong; Mrs B says it's a book shop with a tower on top). They have a flavor called Capriccio which is a hazelnut-chocolate-cream flavor. It's really nice, and I don't think you'll encounter it anywhere else! I remembered to take a picture, just barely. The white scoop is called fiore di latte, which is a sort of sweet milk flavor. So good.

Last edited by Badger; 01-25-2012, 08:16 PM. Reason: book shop, not underwear shop

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by Lani View Post
    We don't mind the man behind the curtain. ;-)

...I do like that photo where you look like you're hiding your hand with your sleeve, though. Nice touch.
    Eh, that's just because my hand was cold. Um, wait. Yes, yes, it was a nice touch, wasn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Walker
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    We spent a night in Orvieto, which is in Umbria. For a tiny city, it has amazing gelato, good restaurants, and a phenomenal cathedral.
    I will walk to Orvieto for that gelato Are the frescoes inside the church okay? They were fading badly when I saw them years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    These really do make great Flat Stanley pictures, only the hand holding the FOT pouches in the close-up shots makes everything look as though there's a mysterious presence, just off-stage.
    We don't mind the man behind the curtain. ;-)

...I do like that photo where you look like you're hiding your hand with your sleeve, though. Nice touch.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    only the hand holding the FOT pouches in the close-up shots makes everything look as though there's a mysterious presence, just off-stage.
    That would be me. I'm the mysterious presence! Or something.

Glad you like the pics, everyone. Believe me, people stared at us more than once (and it wasn't just because I'm a mysterious presence).

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by Lani View Post
    Ooooo clap clap clap!!!!!!

I really adore your FOT pictures. They're like Flat Stanley pictures. Tee hee! I'll have to do that as well!

/clap clap clap

Thank you for sharing!!
    These really do make great Flat Stanley pictures, only the hand holding the FOT pouches in the close-up shots makes everything look as though there's a mysterious presence, just off-stage.

Leave a comment:

• GEOcycle
    replied
    I absolutely loved Florence when I was there. Spent a week visiting a good friend on spring break. Beautiful, amazing city.

Great photos!

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    YEA! Pictures! Thank you for posting these beauties....and Italy looks great too!

The light is incredible - and the images of outside still shine. That carved door in Santa Croce - really beautiful.

Welcome home!

Leave a comment:

• joiedwards
    replied
    Love your pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Ooooo clap clap clap!!!!!!

I really adore your FOT pictures. They're like Flat Stanley pictures. Tee hee! I'll have to do that as well!

/clap clap clap

Thank you for sharing!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X