Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,533   Posts: 187,860   Members: 6,497   Active Members: 289
Welcome to our newest member, brppreacher.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women Traveling Solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LegalNomads
    replied
    Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
    I'm curious if there are any tour outfits that others recommend. GAdventures (Adventure Travel & Tours - Book Your Trip - G Adventures), which I happened to find online, looks interesting -- they welcome people of all ages and seem to have a philosophy of travel that I embrace.
    Hi there. I actually do work for them because I embrace their core values too - I've sent cousins on their trips in the past (who were worried to travel solo) and my arrangement with them is that I hop on their trips once a year (last year it was to Morocco) and then write about it for their site, and also give talks to kids about how travel helps you understand the world (and maintain perspective in it). So, I'm biased in that I have a contract to hop on their trips once in awhile, but I also don't work with many companies, only the ones I believe in. I took on the G Adv contract instead of working w/ similar outfitters because I love what they're doing.

The only thing I'd warn about is that the restaurants they suggest are more midrange than I expected; I tended to wander off alone on the Morocco trip to eat street food, but I know not everyone wants to do that. An option is perhaps booking a tour then (if you have the time) staying a bit longer - I often recommend this to people so that they get calibrated with the help of a guide, get the history, etc and then have extra time to delve into the culture and food alone once they are already comfortable. Other options include doing a Planeterra trip with them (more voluntourism, but sustainably so).

Hope this helps! I know it's not purely objective advice but I assure you I'd never do work with a company I didn't stand behind If you do head to Jordan and stay longer, please do let me know as I'll happily put you in touch with the Tourism Board there, who is great for helping with itinerary planning and suggestions.

Best,
    Jodi

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    HF Walking Tours offers some nice options, though I don't know about Jordan. They are definitely more for people who are into rambling than sightseeing, though.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    Thinking ahead to a trip to the Middle East... there are places I'd like to go where joining a tour would make it easier to get to the places I want to see, and provide interesting fellow-travelers to share the experience with. Not to mention not having to worry overmuch about logistics. I'm curious if there are any tour outfits that others recommend. GAdventures (Adventure Travel & Tours - Book Your Trip - G Adventures), which I happened to find online, looks interesting -- they welcome people of all ages and seem to have a philosophy of travel that I embrace. For instance, they specifically recommend traveling light, with a non-wheeled suitcase, and seem to be the kind of outfit that offers interesting, engaging tours that don't just shuffle people around in a monstrous air-conditioned bus every day. Has anyone used them or something similar they recommend? (In my case I want to see Jordan, but this could be more of a general question.)

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    notmensa, your photos of the Synapse and IIRC Western Flyer are what prompted me to finally get mine. Thank you, I love them.
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by notmensa View Post
    Hey, thanks for the shout out!!! Love that my Synapse obsession helps others. :-)
    That photo of you and your Synapse in Sydney on the TB blog is fantastic. The stars really aligned for that shot.

Leave a comment:

• notmensa
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    I use notmensa's option 2 locking arrangement on my Synapse.
    Hey, thanks for the shout out!!! Love that my Synapse obsession helps others. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    http://forums.tombihn.com/customer-p...ther-idea.html

Here's another thread with some more photos of S-biner clips on the Synapse.
    Take care,
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    I now use split rings and Key Straps as well as a still usable long strap from the bag which was replaced by my first Cafe Bag.

Leave a comment:

• Kinsale
    replied
    Great thread. I usually travel alone and just got back from a solo trip to Belgium. I think pre-trip planning is one of the most important keys to a successful solo trip especially when there are language considerations. I like to read travel forums like Frommer's, Fodo's, Trip Advisor and FlyerTalk to get tips and a feel for the area I'll be travelling to.

Another favorite planning tool is Google maps -- I love to literally take a look at where I'm going -- especially helpful for planning routes from the airport or train station to the hotel. Cuts down on getting lost en-route. It doesn't always work, I did get confused on the Belgian tram and had to backtrack two stops and start over, lol, but that's all part of travel, isn't it.

Gear wise for this trip I used my Tri-Star, Large Cafe Bag, various pouches, and the small shopping bag for day trips. Perfect for the many transfers, there were 6 flights, 4 trains, a tram, taxi, bus, and a boat.

I also tried using the stuff bag folded down as a trial run for the travel tray. I'm definitely picking up a travel tray to keep all those little bits organized in the hotel.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose View Post
    Hi Lani, I too clip my zippers together like you do. Someplace on the forum there's photo of my Synapse clipped like yours.
    Here's the link to the 'Locking' zippers on the Synapse thread with pictures by notmensa (whose photo is also featured on the blog post for this thread). @Lani, I did try out some of the S-Biner clips. They may be OK in the fashion you use them, where they're held tight by the tension in different directions, but I find the spring-loaded clip sections to be unreliable about staying shut. Just my experience. They did look as though they'd work well to lock multiple rings. I use notmensa's option 2 locking arrangement on my Synapse.

moriond

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    Excellent advice, and some interesting stories too! I don't usually travel all over the place in a single trip, so I plan the following accordingly:

I always bring printed copies of emergency numbers - family, embassies, doctors, etc. I keep copies in several locations - pocket, purse, luggage, even try to have a "photo" of it on the first image in my camera. (Not passport or credit card information - could be risky if camera is stolen.) I'll even laminate a copy before I leave.

Also on this list - phone numbers for calling from WITHIN and from OUTSIDE of the same country. (Ask me how I know!) When stressed, tired, hungry, ill, cranky, lost, when your brain is in a fog and you cannot think clearly....helps to know exactly what number to dial from your current location. Example - calling a relative in England from North America is a little different from calling the same person from within the UK.

Some hotels will have a business card with one side printed in English and the other in the local language. Take a few with you. If lost, you can show the "local" spelling to a taxi driver to make sure you get to the right place. (Think how many big cities have multiple hotels of the same chain's name....)

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• LegalNomads
    replied
    Originally posted by gmoskal View Post
    LegalNomads, what's a mugger's wallet, if you don't mind me asking?
    Hi there! As Lani noted below, it's a decoy wallet with some cash (real cash, but not very much), expired cards or fake cards, like the ones they send you in the mail to entice you to sign up for something, and other stuff you might not mind losing. Make it as real looking as possible - as in, cut out a photo from a mag and put it in, as though you're carrying someone's photo that you miss. It's a tough piece of advice because of course it does depend on how each of us react in situations like that. I've been mugged at knifepoint and did hand over just the mugger's wallet. The mugger asked me to lift my shirt up to see my waistband, obviously looking for a moneybelt (which I never carry, for that reason, but of course this is a very subjective decision). I turned over the mugger's wallet (he went through my bag and saw it there) - my other wallet was stashed in a side pocket in my pants. The 2nd time I was mugged was in Southeast Asia and by a police officer, and was at gunpoint; luckily I had nothing on me as I was walking back to my hostel after getting food, but my dorm that mate's camera was taken - though we were able to negotiate with the mugger to keep the memory card. Probably not the wisest move ("WAIT! Can she keep her memories? Memory cards are cheap. We give you the camera, she takes the memories") but it worked.

Lani, I also use a Petzl Tikka and I've had the same one since I began my travels - love it!

I hope it's ok to post a resources page here too, for those looking for further advice? I've built a long page with packing, planning and other tips, along with resources for vaccinations, visas and how to stay positive on the road. It's here if any of you are interested.

Finally, as I said in the initial post, the way I travel differs in that it's often in developing countries and by public transportation, so as with any advice "your mileage will vary" and all that. Happy to answer any other questions if you've got'em!

-Jodi

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose View Post
    It seems a bit less silly around my neck than around my forehead. I've got a Timbuk2 Shagg bag on my Synapse strap too.
    That definitely sounds more elegant than the cyclops look, for sure! On the other hand, your method won't let you zap bad guys with your third eye laser beam. Schwaaaaaaaaaaat!

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Originally posted by gmoskal View Post
    LegalNomads, what's a mugger's wallet, if you don't mind me asking?
    It might be different, but I think Rick Steves has recommended it in the past. You get yourself an old billfold with store loyalty cards and expired gift cards and stuff, and add a few bills in there. This is your decoy. If you're ever needing to give up your wallet, you give them this decoy one. You keep your real stash and IDs in your security wallet.

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    Hi Lani, I too clip my zippers together like you do. Someplace on the forum there's photo of my Synapse clipped like yours. I also carry a head lamp with me. It clips on the strap of my Synapse or its on the elastic band it came with and around my neck. Makes for some good reading or stitching. It seems a bit less silly around my neck than around my forehead. I've got a Timbuk2 Shagg bag on my Synapse strap too. Great place for a bit of cash, a key or credit card. Makes them eaiser to get to without having to open up my whole bag.
    Take care,
    Moose

Leave a comment:

Working...
X